• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: 49ers moving Eric Mangini to Tight Ends coach

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Sources: Mangini expected to coach 49ers' tight ends | CSN Bay Area

Looks like Mangini is going to stick around for a while.

Surprised they are putting him in this role considering he's never coached offense before but Harbaugh must've liked what he saw last season.

Also it seems Tight End coach is more or less part of a brain trust with the other offensive line coaches in terms of blocking and the WR coaches in terms of receiving.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The perfect coach to develop McDonald. :L

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad move. I still don't get what he is doing on Offense. Isnt he a Defensive coach.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Maybe.. he is so advanced gameplanning AGAINST defenses because he used to be a defensive coord..

Good Ole Harbaugh, three steps ahead..

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice to see he is at an accountable position now, instead of just hanging around the organization in an imaginary role...

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy goes from DC, HC to TE coach. Something isn't right here.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a good coach and a very knowledgeable football man. I have no problem with the 49ers finding a role for him.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I believe he falls in the "bad head coach but good football coach" category.

I know I wouldn't want him as a head coach but I can't really speak much for him as a position coach. I'll defer to Harbaugh's judgement on this one since he and the entire staff had a full year with him so I doubt he would put Mangini in the role if he didn't feel he was capable of it.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for a TE coach this is a steal, he knows the game really well and has been a DC and HC so we get him as some cheap asst coach and people are bitching about this? haha give me a break

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for a TE coach this is a steal, he knows the game really well and has been a DC and HC so we get him as some cheap asst coach and people are bitching about this? haha give me a break

I think some are worried about the climb he's making or could make later, especially if Harbaugh leaves and the defense is still our strong suit... Mangini has HC experience and is defensive-minded... you see?

But at least he won't be conducting the challenges, his time at ESPN made him see everything from everyone's perspective. "Sure, someone could see that as challengeable. Challenge it, Harbaugh." "What? It was overturned on a short on a second and one in the first quarter? I still think that was a worthy challenge."

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some are worried about the climb he's making or could make later, especially if Harbaugh leaves and the defense is still our strong suit... Mangini has HC experience and is defensive-minded... you see?

But at least he won't be conducting the challenges, his time at ESPN made him see everything from everyone's perspective. "Sure, someone could see that as challengeable. Challenge it, Harbaugh." "What? It was overturned on a short on a second and one in the first quarter? I still think that was a worthy challenge."

If Harbaugh leaves we will get a big name coach or Roman would slide into that roll and Mangini would move up, either way its a great hire for someone like him who has the exp and credentials he does as a TE coach.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Harbaugh leaves we will get a big name coach or Roman would slide into that roll and Mangini would move up, either way its a great hire for someone like him who has the exp and credentials he does as a TE coach.

Tomsula is the favorite by many in the organization to get the promotion if it's in house. Not that it couldn't change, but that's supposedly the way some lean right now.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be fine with him too if JH left or got traded, but it wouldn't surprise me if Harbaugh gets traded next year to a team and we sign Gruden to be our HC

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomsula is the favorite by many in the organization to get the promotion if it's in house. Not that it couldn't change, but that's supposedly the way some lean right now.

Right, Tomsula would take over which is fine with me. We really need Chryst to take a step forward in a positive direction with the passing game and his involvement this year. Could be a good in house OC replacement.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Right, Tomsula would take over which is fine with me. We really need Chryst to take a step forward in a positive direction with the passing game and his involvement this year. Could be a good in house OC replacement.

I struggle getting a good read about Chryst, which is probably why I would freak out right away if that's the direction they went. A lot of people paint him as having a quiet, genius make-up to him but he's never struck me as somebody I should keep my eye on for that kind of role soon.