• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Remember when Wilt...

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn!

I am with you. I miss the old NBA. Say what you will about the BAD BOY Pistons (HATED THEM) but they made it interesting. Need to see that 30 for 30...

Oh man.... dont even get me started.

The intense, murderous hatred I felt for those guys at the time. Just wow.

I knew Showtime was in decline and the Bad Boyz fed every insecurity I had in life. It was a nightmare to see them getting better and better.

The one fond memory I have...

I think it was a Tuesday night game and the Bad Boyz had just beat the Lakers at the Forum to go up 3-2 on them in '88 after Riley had guaranteed a repeat. I didn't sleep that night, man. Remember Dennis walking up the tunnel holding up his index finger to say one more?

I remember hating The Microwave more than any of them. That weird release of his but when he was on, he was absolutely lights out. Nothing but net. Dude was an assassin.

Yep, basketball was great back then. I was so obsessed I didn't really have time for any other sports.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the argument has always been that Russell was only winning because of the great team he had around him the same argument is being made about kobe by kobe haters .so ether they were both great or nether was and only won because of the team they had around them you cant have it both ways .

Dude, seriously. If you're trying to insinuate this has anything to do with Kobe... really? No one in this thread gives a shit about Kobe one way or another.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dennis was also an admitted drug-addicted clinically-retarded basket case. Russell obviously has better career rebound numbers (when the average height was 6' 5") but you have to admit, when Dennis was really on, hardly anyone has ever been as dominant on the boards. Maybe only Moses and Wilt?

I remember hearing how Rodman would study tape and would learn where the most likely angle a missed shot from a particular spot by a particular player would bounce thus setting up his rebound chance.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is either a really bad troll attempt or a failed attempt to ass kiss Hammer.

Votes?

Nope. Russell is average at best. Rings doesn't make him the GOAT. Wilt owns Russell

Horry >>>> Russell

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not according to points per game. D.R. highest: 16.0 B.R.: 18.9

D.R :4 years above 11 P.P.G. B.R.: 12 years above 11 P.P.G.

More points does not necessarily mean a better offensive game. Bill Russell did his scoring within 3-5 feet of the basket on put backs and dunks vs. limited competition.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dennis was also an admitted drug-addicted clinically-retarded basket case. Russell obviously has better career rebound numbers (when the average height was 6' 5") but you have to admit, when Dennis was really on, hardly anyone has ever been as dominant on the boards. Maybe only Moses and Wilt?

Again, you cannot discount B.R. without discounting Wilt. For example all I have to do is, "Wilt obviously has better career rebound numbers (when the average height was 6' 5") but you have to admit, when Dennis was really on, hardly anyone has ever been as dominant on the boards." See what I mean. That is why I really try to adhere to the "They were great when they played" mantra...

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember hearing how Rodman would study tape and would learn where the most likely angle a missed shot from a particular spot by a particular player would bounce thus setting up his rebound chance.

He was an artist. They'd slow the tape down and show Rodman watching a shot going up and running to a spot on the floor and jumping and the ball would come right to him. What a shame that guy got so messed up. Back in '89 and on when those guys peaked, I truly hated Dennis and company - even Chuck over on the sidelines flippin out the whole game. every damn one of them. :D Now it's respect. I'd love to see a Bad Boyz team play the Miami Heat of today. It'd be a fuckin clinic on basketball fundamentals.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you cannot discount B.R. without discounting Wilt. For example all I have to do is, "Wilt obviously has better career rebound numbers (when the average height was 6' 5") but you have to admit, when Dennis was really on, hardly anyone has ever been as dominant on the boards." See what I mean. That is why I really try to adhere to the "They were great when they played" mantra...

Fair enough!

But tell me this honestly...

ON HIS OWN AS A PLAYER...

did Russell dominate his generation?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bill Russell had played his career on the Cincinnati Royals, no one would know his name. Those Celtics teams were great because Red was a racist criminal who got virtually all the talent on his team. Without riding Cousy and Hondo, Russell was mediocre.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL the old man romanticizing the past is getting pretty deep around here.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More points does not necessarily mean a better offensive game. Bill Russell did his scoring within 3-5 feet of the basket on put backs and dunks vs. limited competition.

I beg to differ. Points is points. Or would you rather have Kevin McHale's 17 PPG to Shaq's 23 PPG?

And again with the limited competition thing. The man could only play who was on the court at the time. And some have made the argument that the league was less watered down then. That is why you have to look at these players while considering the era...

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was an artist. They'd slow the tape down and show Rodman watching a shot going up and running to a spot on the floor and jumping and the ball would come right to him. What a shame that guy got so messed up. Back in '89 and on when those guys peaked, I truly hated Dennis and company - even Chuck over on the sidelines flippin out the whole game. every damn one of them. :D Now it's respect. I'd love to see a Bad Boyz team play the Miami Heat of today. It'd be a fuckin clinic on basketball fundamentals.

I am with you. Who would have ever guessed that shooting an 18 foot J would be a rare skill in the NBA...

celticsintheoc

bleed green
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hammer the point was no matter how people try to diminish a players accomplishments the accomplishments and rings are all that matter not opinions Russell has 11 nothing you say can tarnish that fact

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL the old man romanticizing the past is getting pretty deep around here.

Yeah, and you calling me old (at 40) shows your limited perspective, But somehow you still claim to be an expert on 1961 basketball. :L

You Russell fans love trying to lay it off on me but you don't answer my questions.

Thurl Bailey > Bill Russell

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hammer the point was no matter how people try to diminish a players accomplishments the accomplishments and rings are all that matter not opinions Russell has 11 nothing you say can tarnish that fact

I won't even try to if you'll stop trying to tell me that a player from the 60's who was never the best on his own fucking team is the GOAT.

Deal?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kareem was a spider. True 7' 2" + and a shot that God can't block. All-time leading scorer, stabilizing force and Captain of Showtime. How can he not have the greatest career ever as a center?

Still as far as dominance at their peak, I'm going with The Big Aristotle, Wilt the Stilt and Hakeem a distant 3rd. Too bad Yao never panned out...

please. KNEW that guy was overrated from day one. WAY too much of a stiff...

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough!

But tell me this honestly...

ON HIS OWN AS A PLAYER...

did Russell dominate his generation?

If you are asking if he was better than Wilt, the stats don't support it and no I don't think so. Was he a better teammate then Wilt? A more unselfish player? By all accounts.

Like I posted earlier. B.R. isn't the goat. But he was good in the era he played. The best? No. But good? absolutely.

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thread full of bitter Laker fans trying to belittle the greatest... Russell LEAD his team to 11 rings thats it. End of story. Don't bring me that Horry strawman.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you. Who would have ever guessed that shooting an 18 foot J would be a rare skill in the NBA...

And you know what? If the Heat really want to play that game? The Bad Boys would bury them. Either way they want to play... the Bad Boyz'd rock their world. I wanna see Lebron drive the lane with Mahorn, Laimbeer and a 7' 2" James Donaldson down there waiting on him.