• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read it but we don't know what KC actually wants. Is it over 25m per year? 25m per year? Will he take 23.5 a year? The point im getting at is if he is offered 23.5 a year and hold out for 25 or 26 then I call foul.
Dude, you've been calling foul since day 1 of the negotiations.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you've been calling foul since day 1 of the negotiations.

Some of the wait and see crowd have been calling foul from the moment Kirk was named the starter. Funny how that works aint it?? :scratch:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the wait and see crowd have been calling foul from the moment Kirk was named the starter. Funny how that works aint it?? :scratch:
No doubt. The only thing we are going to see by waiting is KC hitting the FA market next offseason. And then we will see him in another uniform next year. Dean seems to believe that Dan can take care of any situation by just throwing money at it next year. He has no concept of our cap restrictions, other suitor's cap situations, or the ever escalating salaries of NFL QBs.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. The only thing we are going to see by waiting is KC hitting the FA market next offseason. And then we will see him in another uniform next year. Dean seems to believe that Dan can take care of any situation by just throwing money at it next year. He has no concept of our cap restrictions, other suitor's cap situations, or the ever escalating salaries of NFL QBs.

I will admit, there is a chance we keep him with the wait and see approach. But from a cap standpoint, what it would cost to keep him would in fact cost us other players. Alot more than what signing him now would cost in any case.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well those one year deals wont happen

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit, there is a chance we keep him with the wait and see approach. But from a cap standpoint, what it would cost to keep him would in fact cost us other players. Alot more than what signing him now would cost in any case.
Is there a chance? Sure. But the cost of waiting could be crazy. If Carr signs for 25M, then Stafford signs for $26M and Ryan signs for $28M, if cousins plays anywhere near where he as the last 2 years, he could be in the stafford/ryan range. Then we are really screwed. To sign him at that level means we have to let go some good talent.

But what you said earlier rings true. Some of the wait and see supporters really don't believe in KC and think the last 2 years are a fluke. And some just want him to fail so we can get that next new toy (that will be broken by Christmas).

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a chance? Sure. But the cost of waiting could be crazy. If Carr signs for 25M, then Stafford signs for $26M and Ryan signs for $28M, if cousins plays anywhere near where he as the last 2 years, he could be in the stafford/ryan range. Then we are really screwed. To sign him at that level means we have to let go some good talent.

And you can bet your last dollar, the line of thinking will be.. well if we had not sign an over rated mediocre QB to a deal he was not worth, we wouldnt be in this situation. IM telling you the only way Kirk wins some of these guys over is to win a Lombardi, then sign long term for what Glennon is being paid by the Bears.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But what you said earlier rings true. Some of the wait and see supporters really don't believe in KC and think the last 2 years are a fluke. And some just want him to fail so we can get that next new toy (that will be broken by Christmas).

Let me get this straight. If KC has the same season this year as last year you would give him 26-28M annually? While Carr already singed for 25M. I could be wrong but I think your numbers are way off. You guys are forgetting that Jets, Browns, and 49ers should all be picking in the top 5 in next years draft. that could be a big reason on why they wont shell out huge money and just take a rookie. Plus we don't know the other Qb's who will be Fa besides KC that year.

Hey if KC get more than Carr and those other two at 26-28M annually why the hell would he sign now? Unless Dan offers him that number right now. Plus the Rodgers deal is coming up. ITs going to be interesting. IMO KC getting more money than Carr right now is just a joke. Sure numbers are similar but Carr has the better upside. Plus why would Carr sign now knowing he can get the highest number for a QB in 2018 FA b/c of his age?

Every Skin fan routes for KC. Doubting that is just crazy.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me get this straight. If KC has the same season this year as last year you would give him 26-28M annually?

Real simple question Dean. If Kirk has the same season

4900 yards, 29 total TDs to 12 INTs, but the team still finishes 8-8. What would you suggest we do??

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk Cousins goes into the 2017 season as the unquestioned starter after two years of Pro Bowl caliber play. Finishing last season with just under 5,000 yards and a passer rating of 97.2, Cousins is set to have another big year in Jay Gruden’s pass happy offense. The loss of top receivers DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon may hurt his a production a bit, but shouldn’t be anything major. This will be especially true if Terrelle Pryor can continue to improve as a receiver, and if Josh Doctson can stay healthy and prove he deserved to be a first round pick.

Playing in a quarterback friendly offense may help boost Cousins numbers a bit, but is doesn’t take away from his skills as a passer. If the Redskins running game can stay consistent and productive, then we may see Cousins game rise to a new level as coverage may bite on the play action harder than this past season. However, if the running game struggles like it did at times last year, then more games may fall on to Cousins shoulders.

Defense will also play a big factor in how well Cousins will need to perform. A majority of the losses from the past season can be blamed solely on the defense, while some of the wins were thanks to the offense alone.

The upcoming season should not worry Cousins. He will likely fare just fine with the Redskins. The only issue is whether or not he will remain on the team for future seasons. After putting up numbers like he has in the past two seasons, it’s no wonder he wants to get paid like a franchise quarterback. Whether it’s his “poor” performances in big games, or if the team just lacks faith in him, the Redskins are committed to playing this contract situation out as long as possible. That said, negotiations have had a positive spin lately, so that could be good news for both parties.

a take on KC

Not according to our resident expert....DEAN

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me get this straight. If KC has the same season this year as last year you would give him 26-28M annually? While Carr already singed for 25M. I could be wrong but I think your numbers are way off. You guys are forgetting that Jets, Browns, and 49ers should all be picking in the top 5 in next years draft. that could be a big reason on why they wont shell out huge money and just take a rookie. Plus we don't know the other Qb's who will be Fa besides KC that year.

Hey if KC get more than Carr and those other two at 26-28M annually why the hell would he sign now? Unless Dan offers him that number right now. Plus the Rodgers deal is coming up. ITs going to be interesting. IMO KC getting more money than Carr right now is just a joke. Sure numbers are similar but Carr has the better upside. Plus why would Carr sign now knowing he can get the highest number for a QB in 2018 FA b/c of his age?

Even if the Jets, Browns, and Niners are picking top five next season, with their cap situations, they may chose to trade down and sign the PB QB rather than go for the 1 in 10 chance of finding a better one at their pick. Can you imagine giving a 28 year old PB QB...2 first round picks the next three seasons and multiple other picks?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a splendid career at the University of Texas and an up and down three years with Cleveland, Colt McCoy has found a home with the Redskins. Serving as Cousins’ backup, McCoy has proven he’s more than capable of winning a few games when needed. An asset that not many teams have, as a top backup quarterback. McCoy is a truly valuable piece to the Redskins.

McCoy is a prototypical game manager quarterback. If you need him to come in for a few games, he can perform well enough to put the team in a position to win. He’s accurate enough to move the ball in Gruden’s scheme, and also athletic enough to scramble for positive yardage if a play breaks down. With the talent the Redskins have on offense, McCoy should be able to perform well if he is needed to come in.

McCoy is under contract until 2019, so the Redskins know they have security at the backup position. And as Redskins great Joe Gibbs once said “The second most important person on the team is the backup quarterback.”

what we have in Colt , a factor , if we go in another direction

Colt McCoy has won exactly two games for us. Backup QB is the most worthless position in flag football.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the Jets, Browns, and Niners are picking top five next season, with their cap situations, they may chose to trade down and sign the PB QB rather than go for the 1 in 10 chance of finding a better one at their pick. Can you imagine giving a 28 year old PB QB...2 first round picks the next three seasons and multiple other picks?

Sure, because it would mean we drafted a kid who was a sure fire elite.

Oh wait... we tried that already didnt we??

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM still wondering how,

We were #3 in total offense

#12 in scoring offense which meant we scored about 3 points less per game than the Patriots.

Had a historically bad defense.

And yet the real question is still... is the QB good enough.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again brah, where did I say their logic made ANY more sense?? I simply stated that some folks sound like a bunch of haters looking for reasons why we shouldnt give Cousins a long term deal this year under any circumstances. NOw as to wether or not its simply because one doesnt like Cousins as our long term starter because they dont like him for some reason. Or if some folks have just fallen in love with the idea of leaving our "Options" open to delve into the apparently Elite rich QB class of 2018.... thats for each individual to decide and admit to themselves if no one else.

Your logic is not only nonsensical. A good bit of it is outright bullshit, but wait, wait, wait, wait. Just a minute. Lets backtrack for a bit.

Guys, I finally figured out why the Kirk detractors irk the shit out of me. Its because they sound exactly like Cowboys fans when they try and explain to us why the Redskins Super Bowl wins dont really count. Always the side logic Well it was in a strike year ( alot like, well Kirk hasnt really beat any good teams)

OK. You go curl up with your binkie made from Kirk Cousins wrinkled nut-sack sweat and listen up, Buttercup. I'm about to tell you how to handle those mean Cowboy fans and their, 'The Skins SBs don't count cuz they were in a strike year.' bullshit. That gives you butt-hurt so bad you get a rash.

Just smile and ask them when they came to that conclusion....... was it before or after the Redskins and Darryl Grant. Put the "Finish Him!!!!" death blow on the Boys in the NFCCG of 83 with that Pick 6? Now that you've dissed em, dismiss em, and tell them tramps to hit the ramp with that bullshit. Done n done.

Far as KC not beating any good teams. That's simply not true. Against teams that finish a regular season with a record of 9-7 or better for instance. Kirk's record as a starter is 2-11 or a winning percentage slightly over 18%. Against teams that finish a regular season with 8 wins Cuz's record as a starter is 5-13 a winning percentage of about 38.5%.

Against teams that finished above .500 this season the Skins were 2-5 or a 28.5% winning percentage. Playing a 1st place schedule this year the Skins had to play last year's NFC division winners as well. Carolina, Arizona, Minnesota. In those games they finished 1-2/33% winning percentage, but those teams combined record for the season last year was just 21-26-1 or about a 44% winning percentage.

If me thinking that winning anywhere between 18% and 38.5% of games against teams that finish the year with a winning record simply isn't getting it done. Makes me a hater, well...............I see this as well as consistency in ALL facets of the game, not just comp% and passing yards, as potential on-going issues with Cuz. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong. But I'm not putting on burgundy n gold glasses and jumping on Kirk's tip on the strength of what I feel can in part be viewed as gaudy production stat-wise, but not pertaining enough substance when it comes to Kirk's stats.

The only reason we went that year was because we played starters against scabs ( Only reason we won the division was because the rest of the division sucked)

This ^^^^^^^ is outright embarrassing and shameful. Whether I agree with all of it or not. Its fair game to disparage aspects of the team that Cuz himself plays for. He was not the Redskins only issue last year. The defense, ST (Hopkins) and even coaching played roles in why the Skins ended up on the outside looking in far as the playoffs.

But to disparage an entire Redskins team from 1982, and the first team of 3 to win a Lombardi Trophy in such a bullshit and deceitful manner. Than not to acknowledge it whatsoever after being called out on it. And trying to blame Cowboys fans for that bullshit. Just was truly some pathetic shit to say and to come from a supposed lifelong Redskins fan.

The named of the team is the Washington Redskins. Not the KC Nut Jugglers. Stop gettin it twisted.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If has another year like his last two, then yes, he will get Stafford/Ryan type money from someone. That will be 3 years straight of PB caliber play and enough evidence for most of his detractors (except, it seems, you) to declare him a franchise QB. Now it most likely will not be us that gives him that type of money as our FO seems to expect some sort of home town discount but given the way he has been handled by this FO, that will not be coming. Of course you and a few others will say he is being greedy etc and will be glad to let him walk.

I'm surprised you question that amount. After all, the transition tag itself will be north of $28M (exclusive tag will be $34M+) next year and it seems that your solution by waiting is that Dan will pay whatever it takes to sign him if he has another good year. Maybe now you understand the risk of waiting??

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real simple question Dean. If Kirk has the same season

4900 yards, 29 total TDs to 12 INTs, but the team still finishes 8-8. What would you suggest we do??

why do stats trump wins with you? It depends how it plays out.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So they rather give KC 28-30M per year? they could just draft a Qb and rebuild. None of those team are remotely close to a Super Bowl. Unless you are Carr b/c of his age paying this type of money for non Super Bowl winning Qb's doesnt make sense to me.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If has another year like his last two, then yes, he will get Stafford/Ryan type money from someone. That will be 3 years straight of PB caliber play and enough evidence for most of his detractors (except, it seems, you) to declare him a franchise QB. Now it most likely will not be us that gives him that type of money as our FO seems to expect some sort of home town discount but given the way he has been handled by this FO, that will not be coming. Of course you and a few others will say he is being greedy etc and will be glad to let him walk.

I'm surprised you question that amount. After all, the transition tag itself will be north of $28M (exclusive tag will be $34M+) next year and it seems that your solution by waiting is that Dan will pay whatever it takes to sign him if he has another good year. Maybe now you understand the risk of waiting??

So if KC is not signed by 7/15 his number starts at 28M next year?