• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds Thread

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to start over.... I'd much rather watch (or not watch) young talent than have to deal with another season like last..... Bunch of overpaid vets on this team that won't win dick.

Jocketty is not a fire sale/rebuild gm. He's actually the worst guy for that job.

We're fucked.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jocketty is not a fire sale/rebuild gm. He's actually the worst guy for that job.

We're fucked.

So we're stuck watching the same limp dick squad for the next two seasons and then we watch as our one asset (pitchers) all leave in free agency with nothing to show for it?

Well then..... At least we have Joey Votto.

Who-Dey!

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Brandon Phillips!

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm okay with these moves. I thought Simon maxed out last year. Latos was never re-signing here and he wasn't going to take us anywhere this year.

As long as Votto is here with his huge deal most of these moves are going to be like rearranging chairs on the titanic..... But at least they're trying.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm okay with these moves. I thought Simon maxed out last year. Latos was never re-signing here and he wasn't going to take us anywhere this year.

As long as Votto is here with his huge deal most of these moves are going to be like rearranging chairs on the titanic..... But at least they're trying.

I'm okay with the idea, but if we're unloading 40% of our rotation, shouldn't we at least have gotten a legitimate left fielder in return?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm okay with the idea, but if we're unloading 40% of our rotation, shouldn't we at least have gotten a legitimate left fielder in return?

For what? It's not like a left fielder is getting us over the hump this year.

I think you just collect prospects -- No matter where they play. Just get the best value.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what? It's not like a left fielder is getting us over the hump this year.

I think you just collect prospects -- No matter where they play. Just get the best value.

Prospects, okay. I'm not sure you would call the guys we got prospects, especially in the Latos deal. The pitcher was on the big league roster last year to the tune of a 6+ ERA. The catcher is blocked. For this we gave up a legit #2 starter? I think we did better on the deal for Simon, maybe a big league ready shortstop and a power pitcher with a live arm who just needs experience. I think we could have done better by holding on until the trade deadline. The All Star game is coming to Cincy this year and we're going to be in last place.

I wish I was born in Boston..........................

Last edited by a moderator:

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prospects, okay. I'm not sure you would call the guys we got prospects, especially in the Latos deal. The pitcher was on the big league roster last year to the tune of a 6+ ERA. The catcher is blocked. For this we gave up a legit #2 starter? I think we did better on the deal for Simon, maybe a big league ready shortstop and a power pitcher with a live arm who just needs experience. I think we could have done better by holding on until the trade deadline. The All Star game is coming to Cincy this year and we're going to be in last place.

Latos would be on the DL by the all star game. He's damaged goods and he won't last long in the league. You're not getting much for that.

Why does it matter that the AS game is here? Fan interest will be the same whether we're in first or last....Cincinnati is a bandwagon town with their teams, but they always sell out big 'events.'

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should keep all the pitchers and just give Votto away. He's the reason we're in this mess, and we're stuck with him for what, nine more years?

Of course, at this point nobody would take him off our hands.

Last edited by a moderator:

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should keep all the pitchers and just give Votto away. He's the reason we're in this mess, and we're stuck with him for what, nine more years?

Of course, at this point nobody would take him off our hands.

Couldn't agree more....

There isn't anyone that wants him though -- He's ours for good.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what the Reds have done this far. Unloading pitchers we'll never be able to resign for young guys. Time to build up the farm again and suck(more so than usual) for a few years. There's no point in discussing Votto, he is here for life. He's the only guy we wouldn't be able to move. Just like Pujols in LA, and A-Rod has been for years in NY.

Honestly, if the idea is to start over and suck for draft picks, wouldn't keeping Votto in the lineup help in that regard? He's basically a strikeout waiting to happen anyway.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what the Reds have done this far. Unloading pitchers we'll never be able to resign for young guys. Time to build up the farm again and suck(more so than usual) for a few years. There's no point in discussing Votto, he is here for life. He's the only guy we wouldn't be able to move. Just like Pujols in LA, and A-Rod has been for years in NY.

Honestly, if the idea is to start over and suck for draft picks, wouldn't keeping Votto in the lineup help in that regard? He's basically a strikeout waiting to happen anyway.

Maybe he can get hot for a half a year and some team like the Mets will want to overspend on him.

Pipe dream I know, but I really wish we could move on.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trades were good. They got higly rated guys in return for guys they would have never been able to re-sign. The only thing I would have done is to try and trade those guys last July and you probably could have gotten even more.

The Reds have a ton of arms through this trade, plus their system. They have 3 or 4 guys highly rated, Stephenson, Howard add that to the guys they just got plus Iglesias...the rotation now, and in the next few years, still seems pretty bright.

Don't rule out Leake/Cueto still getting traded at some point, too. Or Chapman for that matter.

Health will, of course, be the key because of all the money the have wrapped up in just a few players (Votto, Bruce, Phillips).

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So right now this is about what I expect this team to look like without anymore moves.

Rotation:

1. Cueto
2. Bailey
3. Leake
4. Cingrani
5. DeScianfani or Corcino

Lineup:

CF: Hamilton
2B: Phillips
1B: Votto
3B: Frazier
RF: Bruce
C: Mesoraco
LF: Rodriguez
SS: Suarez

Does that look like a championship team to anyone?

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
world-series-trophy.jpg

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds win first preseason game 10-0. Should we ice down the champagne? Of note, only one starter was absent from the lineup. Joey Votto. He's looking great, though.............

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a 2-week knee injury three years ago..... I'd say he's right on schedule