• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realistic HC Options Moving Forward

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Spot on.

I think it comes down to being able to control the HC. A figure head that won't rock the boat.

The problem could end up....who down the road wants any part of of this management group? I can't see anyone with options wanting to work with your GM. Great job but lousy working conditions.

yeah, but depends on the level of control? It shouldn't be on one extreme with a "yes man", nor the other where a HC does his own thing.

At first yes, everyone wonders who will want to be our HC? But IMO there will be somebody good enough to take the job. Holmgren already came up in public, that is far from an unknown "up and comer".

BTW - If you were the Owner, wouldn't you want SOME level of respect from your HC? You wouldn't want your HC going around the building irritating everyone?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Holmgren openly said he would jump at the chance to coach the Niners.... I would be rooting for that if I was a Niners fan... It was just all over sports radio up here in Seattle... The guy always get's teams playing better as a head coach... I don't know if he's GM material but he's certainly head coach material ...

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it would be a short term fix but I will take it. He can at least bring in some coaches that are capable of coaching at this level.

I agree Purguy. At least right the ship and have the Niners going in a positive direction. Bring coaches who can make halftime adjustments. But is there a coach who's willing to come here knowing full well what transpired with Harbaugh? A coach who has to answer to a clueless Baalke and Jed Dork.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Purguy. At least right the ship and have the Niners going in a positive direction. Bring coaches who can make halftime adjustments. But is there a coach who's willing to come here knowing full well what transpired with Harbaugh? A coach who has to answer to a clueless Baalke and Jed Dork.

Apparently Holmgren wants to be here. I was lukewarm to having him here after Harbaugh departed because of his age. But I would gladly take him over Tomsula. At least he might be able to get something started here before he leaves. I don't think it will happen though. The FO isn't going to alter their decision on Tomsula because of Holmgren and on the small chance they actually do fire Tomsula, I bet they would hire someone else.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jim Tomsula's football sins - Inside the 49ers

Yeah, guess all of this makes sense, granted we're all using 20/20, so it looks even worse.

The stuff before the season is more reasonable to digest, cause resting old vets (Bush) and not playing starters in pre-season, is what other teams do too. The stuff in season is certainly more on Tomsula, he makes the final decisions on QB and offensive linemen. Granted, the decision to bench Kaep is easy to say NOW.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lowell Cohn: No second chance for Jim Tomsula

without focusing on the Bill Walsh comparisons, he still makes sense on Tomsula himself.

Jed is better off admitting Tomsula was a bad decision, take more chit, and hire a new HC. Cause it won't start to turn around next season with Tomsula. that is what we fans want to see, a turnaround and signs of improvement. We did NOT see ANY of it as this season wore on.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

without focusing on the Bill Walsh comparisons, he still makes sense on Tomsula himself.

Jed is better off admitting Tomsula was a bad decision, take more chit, and hire a new HC. Cause it won't start to turn around next season with Tomsula. that is what we fans want to see, a turnaround and signs of improvement. We did NOT see ANY of it as this season wore on.

Some of it does except for benching Kap in preseason. That wasn't going to happen and I can't imagine anyone making that decision coming out of preseason. I don't know who was making a Walsh/Tomsula comparison but that is blasphemy to me.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, but depends on the level of control? It shouldn't be on one extreme with a "yes man", nor the other where a HC does his own thing.

At first yes, everyone wonders who will want to be our HC? But IMO there will be somebody good enough to take the job. Holmgren already came up in public, that is far from an unknown "up and comer".

BTW - If you were the Owner, wouldn't you want SOME level of respect from your HC? You wouldn't want your HC going around the building irritating everyone?

Holmgren was great and gets a career achievement award but I view him as someone the game has passed by. Just my 2 cents.

I think with the leaks and the general atmosphere nobody respected anyone in San Fran. Again my thought is you win and win consistently you get more control and respect. I don't have to like you and if you win I can tolerate a whole bunch of BS. Harris is a different kinda of guy. I get that but damn what I would not give as a Lions fan to have a coach that successful!

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want this football season over with. What a poor season. I couldn't even get excited. We were so unprepared in almost every game. Its not the record that bothers me its how we played and we didn't get better through out the year. Some would say we got worse.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Holmgren openly said he would jump at the chance to coach the Niners.... I would be rooting for that if I was a Niners fan... It was just all over sports radio up here in Seattle... The guy always get's teams playing better as a head coach... I don't know if he's GM material but he's certainly head coach material ...

I wasn't big on Holmgren only because of his age. I would preferably like a younger coach that would be around longer. I would gladly take Holmgren now as a stop gap if it means getting rid of Tomsula and changing the team's direction. I wouldn't mind seeing Hue Jackson either. I don't want Holmgren getting GM duties but I don't think that would happen anyway. Still a long shot

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holmgren was great and gets a career achievement award but I view him as someone the game has passed by. Just my 2 cents.

I think with the leaks and the general atmosphere nobody respected anyone in San Fran. Again my thought is you win and win consistently you get more control and respect. I don't have to like you and if you win I can tolerate a whole bunch of BS. Harris is a different kinda of guy. I get that but damn what I would not give as a Lions fan to have a coach that successful!

who is Harris?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want this football season over with. What a poor season. I couldn't even get excited. We were so unprepared in almost every game. Its not the record that bothers me its how we played and we didn't get better through out the year. Some would say we got worse.

At least next week we will know what happens with the coaching staff.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Spot on Deep. But I don't know if Jed will admit it with his huge ego. One can't even find a silver lining in this tumultuous season. The one thing I can say is that I'm so happy about Bowman's comeback and terrific play. Everything has regressed this season. One can't say there's light at the end of the tunnel when the Niners as an organization are not even close or near the tunnel.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Spot on Deep. But I don't know if Jed will admit it with his huge ego. One can't even find a silver lining in this tumultuous season. The one thing I can say is that I'm so happy about Bowman's comeback and terrific play. Everything has regressed this season. One can't say there's light at the end of the tunnel when the Niners as an organization are not even close or near the tunnel.

good point, his bounce back season went well.

he'll never be his best as in previous years, but what he's doing now is still good.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't big on Holmgren only because of his age. I would preferably like a younger coach that would be around longer. I would gladly take Holmgren now as a stop gap if it means getting rid of Tomsula and changing the team's direction. I wouldn't mind seeing Hue Jackson either. I don't want Holmgren getting GM duties but I don't think that would happen anyway. Still a long shot

Yeah he's getting up there in age... but he's a guy that definitely get's team playing better football... Also with his history with the Niners I think it would be a good move right now....

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auto correct for Harbs

I like harbaugh and wanted him back but there were still issues with Harbaugh. I do think he tends to really wear on people after awhile. He did put together a good staff in SF for the most part, but I would also say Vic Fangio was probably just as big a factor in the success of SF. The 49ers defense was the consistent strength of the team under Fangio since 2011. The offense under Harbaugh has been trending downward since 2012. Fangio put together a top 5 defense in 2014 despite the defense being ravaged by injury. This team could have been 10-6 in 2014 had the inept offense played better in the 2nd half of games. Had the FO promoted Fangio to HC and had Gase as OC, I think this team would have been as well off coaching as it has been the past several years.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh is the reason why Fangio was here in the first place.

However...looking back on it now, a Gase/Fangio staff would be a dream....that is how far we have fallen. Oh and, just to read how Tomsula has praised Pears playing guard.....what a complete joke this has all become. This staff needs to be sent to northern Siberia.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like harbaugh and wanted him back but there were still issues with Harbaugh. I do think he tends to really wear on people after awhile. He did put together a good staff in SF for the most part, but I would also say Vic Fangio was probably just as big a factor in the success of SF. The 49ers defense was the consistent strength of the team under Fangio since 2011. The offense under Harbaugh has been trending downward since 2012. Fangio put together a top 5 defense in 2014 despite the defense being ravaged by injury. This team could have been 10-6 in 2014 had the inept offense played better in the 2nd half of games. Had the FO promoted Fangio to HC and had Gase as OC, I think this team would have been as well off coaching as it has been the past several years.

I agree completely. Harbaugh was made for the college game. You get player turnover and that keeps guys from burning out on his style. Chip Kelly too

But Fangio and Gase were so much better options than a D-Line coach that looked like a puppet hire.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree completely. Harbaugh was made for the college game. You get player turnover and that keeps guys from burning out on his style. Chip Kelly too

But Fangio and Gase were so much better options than a D-Line coach that looked like a puppet hire.

We all know it. Tomsula was the last person I wanted to see hired. He is in way over his head. Tomsula was Jed's choice, not Baalkes. Jed has had a man crush on Baalke going back to the Singletary days. Jed really screwed everything up from the initial press conference after Harbaugh till now. According to reports, Baalke had a deal with Gase to be HC and Fangio was willing be serve as DC under case. After the deal was made, a condition was added requiring Tomsula to become DC which Gase refused. I have no doubt Jed made that condition. It will probably take another really bad year for Tomsula to be cut loose. Most likely the OC takes the fall this offseason