• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realistic Expectations against the Boys

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can go vertical, as simple as that sounds, then we'll be just fine....

But running the ball is still a high priority on offense. Is it Friday yet?!??!?!?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Once again, I have to agree here. I think most head coaches, and I certainly hope this is the case with Harbaugh as well, are concerned with planning for, playing and winning the game in front of them, not the one on the calendar.

Besides, If Harbaugh wanted to play his cards close to the vest then he should have taken better advantage of the four red-zone opportunities given to him in the first half, then cruised to the finish line.

Kicking FG's because you want to hide your TD plays makes no sense at all. Besides, each game requires its own game plan and if we do not have a better offensive game plan for Dallas than we did for Seattle, it is going to be a long day.

Well I think you also have to consider that the offensive scheme is still very new so since the Seahawks weren't pushing the issue I think Harbaugh and Roman stayed with safe plays that the offense was comfortable with as the Seahawks gave little reason to do otherwise.

When they did give a reason to sweat we started to see the playbook open up a bit more and we did drive the ball down the field.

So I tend to lean on the side that this won't be Harbaugh's MO and it's more of a result of circumstances. I mean I find it hard to believe as creative as Standford's offense was Harbaugh is going to abandon that and go with 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Once again, I have to agree here. I think most head coaches, and I certainly hope this is the case with Harbaugh as well, are concerned with planning for, playing and winning the game in front of them, not the one on the calendar.

Besides, If Harbaugh wanted to play his cards close to the vest then he should have taken better advantage of the four red-zone opportunities given to him in the first half, then cruised to the finish line.

Kicking FG's because you want to hide your TD plays makes no sense at all. Besides, each game requires its own game plan and if we do not have a better offensive game plan for Dallas than we did for Seattle, it is going to be a long day.

Agreed. I just tried to put it a little more delicately in my reponse to the OP.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we can go vertical, as simple as that sounds, then we'll be just fine....

But running the ball is still a high priority on offense. Is it Friday yet?!??!?!?

I don't want to belabor this point but until the offense goes from "Taking what the defense gives you" to "dictating to the defense how they must play you" I don't think they'll be able to compete consistently with the league's better teams.
Not sure exactly how you make that step, perhaps schematicly through personnel packages, moving people around to see how the defense reacts to it; I don't know, but it sure looked like the Pats last night had the Dolphins reacting to what they were doing instead of the opposite. The Niners need to get there offensively