• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realistic Expectations against the Boys

mm03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think this game will be relatively even as long as the Niners come away with some kind of points on offense. That's kind of asking a lot but the WCO should help a bit w/ avoiding Ware most of the day.

The defensive line needs to get decent pressure on Romo. He definitely makes mistakes still when he's feeling the heat. I think the biggest thing in this game though is solely on the Niners secondary. If they limit the big plays anything can happen.

I do see a theme with the Cowboys though... They seem to like blowing games these last few years so hopefully that works in our favor.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys make it seem like were 14 point underdogs. Dallas is favored to win by 3 points. We're at home, this game is definitely winnable.

Everyone hypes up Dallas like they're some kind of powerhouse because they're America's team and they have talent. What have they done? Romo might be the most unclutch player in the history of sports. They have one playoff win since 1996. I've seen them get blown out by 30 points in must win situations.

I think we're going to win the West this year and that's mainly because of Harbraugh. We haven't been a well coached team in years, I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if we blew that game to Seattle after being up 16-0 under some of our old coaches. I think a lot of people don't fully realize how much of a difference having a good coach makes. I expect us to take the next step and make the playoffs, so we have to start winning these type of games, especially at home.

I wouldn't be surprised either if we blew the game under Singletary/Nolan, because if it weren't for Harbaugh because instead of being 19-17, it might have been 17-16 or even 17-12 Seahawks (Smith's TD would not have happened, my guess). (The first 3 FGs were gift wrapped so even Singletary would get those) Depending on Ginn's returns in that hypothetical, I'm not confident that Singletary or Nolan would have won. I am confident with Harbaugh that even without Ginn's returns, we would have won 22-17 or better. However, we could still have blown this game and it isn't per se Harbaugh's credit that Ginn scored twice. I believe we would have still won if the runs weren't returned because I, for now, believe in Harbaugh.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't be surprised either if we blew the game under Singletary/Nolan, because if it weren't for Harbaugh because instead of being 19-17, it might have been 17-16 or even 17-12 Seahawks (Smith's TD would not have happened, my guess). (The first 3 FGs were gift wrapped so even Singletary would get those) Depending on Ginn's returns in that hypothetical, I'm not confident that Singletary or Nolan would have won. I am confident with Harbaugh that even without Ginn's returns, we would have won 22-17 or better. However, we could still have blown this game and it isn't per se Harbaugh's credit that Ginn scored twice. I believe we would have still won if the runs weren't returned because I, for now, believe in Harbaugh.

That's interesting, and maybe I missed an earlier post where you explained it, but I'm curious as to why. I did not see anything that stood out at all about Harbaugh's performance. It seemed pretty pedestrian. I'm hoping for better as the season progresses.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
[/B]

That's interesting, and maybe I missed an earlier post where you explained it, but I'm curious as to why. I did not see anything that stood out at all about Harbaugh's performance. It seemed pretty pedestrian. I'm hoping for better as the season progresses.

Agreed! There were moments when I thought we had re-hired Mike & Jimmy. Harbaugh seemed to have no answers for Carroll's halftime adjustments.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think that with the way the defense was playing he didnt have to go all crazy and air it out on offense. Ill admit it was frustrating to not see them air it out more especially in the red zone but he felt the D was doing enough for them not too. Who knows maybe once Seattle scored to go down from 2, if Ginn had not returned it maybe he was gonna be a little more agressive. It would be nice to see Harbaugh put teams a way, but this is the NFL in his first game hes not in college anymore where games are shootouts.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed! There were moments when I thought we had re-hired Mike & Jimmy. Harbaugh seemed to have no answers for Carroll's halftime adjustments.

I really think he was playing it preseason style and not let Dallas in on any possible formations or plays...etc...

Of course I could be giving Harbs more credit than he deserves....

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think the Cowboys are one of the best teams in the NFC, after GB I think they are #2. I know they chocked that game away but they are good and were planning without some of their starters on defense

basing on talent or actual performance after week 1?

I didn't see the Chicago game, but they held the former #1 NFC seed to minimal damage. Then there's Detroit up on the rise, the Saints, Redskins showed me something, Gmen to a degree, Dallas had it just blew it at the end..... then some team in SF....

IDK who to say is #2 in the NFC.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who is calling the plays for the offense? Is it roman or Harabugh, or a mix of both?

I think Harbaugh was with the headset and talking to Alex, but who is actually calling the plays?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So who is calling the plays for the offense? Is it roman or Harabugh, or a mix of both?

I think Harbaugh was with the headset and talking to Alex, but who is actually calling the plays?

Plays are relayed from Roman to Harbaugh to Smith.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really think he was playing it preseason style and not let Dallas in on any possible formations or plays...etc...

You could be right, X, we'll find out in just about 5 days from now.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

You could be right, X, we'll find out in just about 5 days from now.

This is not meant as a plug for my own post, but just to explain my thinking. http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...5-misc-positives-negetives-2.html#post1100468 Post # 39

For those not wanting to press the link:

"The overall offense, even if Harbaugh were hiding things, would be better than yesterday's performance if we were as far as we need to be; however, perhaps it's a combination of only using what we know and are comfortable with right now and saving more innovative things for when we need them (against Dallas and Baltimore) and are more confident in our ability to execute them. Why waste them against Seattle? I suppose if it weren't for Ginn's returns, we would have seen slightly more innovative plays, as we saw a better drive with bigger pass plays to start the 4th when Seattle got closer.

A few posters noted innovation with the running game and a hesitancy to throw; I see that as setting the pass up through the run on a season scale, not a game scale, as well as building Alex and the offense's confidence. While I don't think it signifies as much distrust in Alex as some suggest, I see that Harbaugh can't possibly have that much trust in him yet. We need to see him progress first. If he never does then we'll literally move on (not jst in an acceptance of a stop-gap way). It buys time for practice and since we won, no harm no foul. I understand we need to get in as rhythym and practice innovative plays to be ready for Dallas, but no need to give them film when we still need to practice to get them down. Big picture, while it was closer than it should have been through 55 minutes, Seattle isn't a team you give everything up from the getgo. Again, I suspect we would have if it weren't for Ginn's returns.

I may be wrong about the strategy, but we all know how Harbaugh is a calculative coach who strategizes short and longer term plans. I expect more in the next game and to be in full swing against the Ravens with a minidose against the Eagles."

That's why I haven't lost trust in Harbaugh, yet. Plus, because I'm a homer a little bit.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game is winnable but it'll be very interesting to see how the Niners pick up the Dallas blitz. Nice early test to see where the Niners stand.

As for the Niners D against Romo gonna be rough but if Dez is gimpy then the matchup is much much easier. Need to pressure Romo into mistakes.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed! There were moments when I thought we had re-hired Mike & Jimmy. Harbaugh seemed to have no answers for Carroll's halftime adjustments.[/QUOTE]

That caught my attention as well and that was my biggest beef with Singletary. He did not seem to be able to counter any adjustments the opposing coach made.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is not meant as a plug for my own post, but just to explain my thinking. http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...5-misc-positives-negetives-2.html#post1100468 Post # 39

For those not wanting to press the link:

"The overall offense, even if Harbaugh were hiding things, would be better than yesterday's performance if we were as far as we need to be; however, perhaps it's a combination of only using what we know and are comfortable with right now and saving more innovative things for when we need them (against Dallas and Baltimore) and are more confident in our ability to execute them. Why waste them against Seattle? I suppose if it weren't for Ginn's returns, we would have seen slightly more innovative plays, as we saw a better drive with bigger pass plays to start the 4th when Seattle got closer.

A few posters noted innovation with the running game and a hesitancy to throw; I see that as setting the pass up through the run on a season scale, not a game scale, as well as building Alex and the offense's confidence. While I don't think it signifies as much distrust in Alex as some suggest, I see that Harbaugh can't possibly have that much trust in him yet. We need to see him progress first. If he never does then we'll literally move on (not jst in an acceptance of a stop-gap way). It buys time for practice and since we won, no harm no foul. I understand we need to get in as rhythym and practice innovative plays to be ready for Dallas, but no need to give them film when we still need to practice to get them down. Big picture, while it was closer than it should have been through 55 minutes, Seattle isn't a team you give everything up from the getgo. Again, I suspect we would have if it weren't for Ginn's returns.

I may be wrong about the strategy, but we all know how Harbaugh is a calculative coach who strategizes short and longer term plans. I expect more in the next game and to be in full swing against the Ravens with a minidose against the Eagles."

That's why I haven't lost trust in Harbaugh, yet. Plus, because I'm a homer a little bit.

I read that post in the other thread and I think it is well thought out. But if that is the case, that he was playing possum so to speak, that is a dangerous game to be playing.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that post in the other thread and I think it is well thought out. But if that is the case, that he was playing possum so to speak, that is a dangerous game to be playing.

Yeah, it's a bit of a leap of faith and wishful thinking on my part mixed with the benefit of the doubt. We'll see on Sunday and throughout the season.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed! There were moments when I thought we had re-hired Mike & Jimmy. Harbaugh seemed to have no answers for Carroll's halftime adjustments.[/QUOTE]

That caught my attention as well and that was my biggest beef with Singletary. He did not seem to be able to counter any adjustments the opposing coach made.

Exactly! If Singletary's initial game plan did not work, his adjustment was to keep trying again until it did work.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Once again, I have to agree here. I think most head coaches, and I certainly hope this is the case with Harbaugh as well, are concerned with planning for, playing and winning the game in front of them, not the one on the calendar.

Besides, If Harbaugh wanted to play his cards close to the vest then he should have taken better advantage of the four red-zone opportunities given to him in the first half, then cruised to the finish line.

Kicking FG's because you want to hide your TD plays makes no sense at all. Besides, each game requires its own game plan and if we do not have a better offensive game plan for Dallas than we did for Seattle, it is going to be a long day.