• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Big 12 at this point has no financial reason to add teams.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 at this point has no financial reason to add teams.

they have to have a conference championship game if they want to do the champions bowl with the SEC...

they also will have to add teams to keep up in the financial arms race if/when other conferences expand.

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
they have to have a conference championship game if they want to do the champions bowl with the SEC...

Not true.

Each conference gets $91M from the new playoff system. Adding more teams would mean dividing that amongst more teams. Adding a conference game wouldn't add much more money. And ESPN told them that only ND would increase the value of their TV deal.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
adding teams adds tv sets:there is more money out there for the BIg12 if they choose to go after it.

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
adding teams adds tv sets:there is more money out there for the BIg12 if they choose to go after it.

No, not really.

Neinas: only Notre Dame enhances the value for Big 12 television | CollegeFootballTalk

"Thanks to an open records request by The Oklahoman, a January memo sent out by interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas to the conference’s expansion committee said Notre Dame is the only school the league could add that would “enhance the… value for television.”"

Big 12 interim commissioner Chuck Neinas: Notre Dame the only school that would add TV value | NewsOK.com

What value would a new member bring to the conference?
Neinas' response: “Our television partners agreed that the only new member that would enhance the Big 12 value for television was Notre Dame.”

ESPN has no interest in encouraging the Big 12 to take ACC teams when they already have contractual control over the ACC. It's a little different for the B1G because they have to feed their own network with content and try to get their network on basic cable in as many markets as possible.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
IDK??? I really dont. Im not fully disagreeing with you but i've read a lot here lately that would suggest otherwise.

this article mentions how if FSU is off the table for the big12 that VT and or clemson would add value.

Expansion Update: B12-Expand or Die | Eers Authority

I honestly believe the big12 wants a ccg and i honestly believe that if they added an fsu, VT, or clemson level team they would get more money. JMO.

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Your first mistake is believing a WVU fan who hasn't been right with anything the entire time over FOIA'd emails from the Big 12 commissioner. Seriously. The next thing Dude gets right will be the first. WVU wants the conference to expand to defray their travel costs. No one else in the conference cares about WVU's concerns and WVU has nowhere else to go.

If the conference title game was that important, they'd have added teams after they fell back to 10. They could have added Cincy and UL and gotten to 12 teams.

Why the Big 12 is happy with 10 amid the latest round of realignment - CBSSports.com

A conference championship game doesn't make much financial sense. One media consultant says such a game would be worth only $700,000-$1 million a year per school. Not an insignificant amount, but worth having to split with two more mouths to feed?

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
thats not the only place i've read it, its just the first thing that popped up in google. Honestly its not that big a deal to me, but im willing to bet you see the big12 expand at some point the sec and big 10 will as well.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All speculation of course..

Taken from the Disney article about Boise St. taking a step back and possibly staying in the MWV.

The remaining Mountain West members are attempting to convince Boise State that it would have more security staying put rather than going to a conference that could still lose two key members in Cincinnati and UConn if there is more movement by the Big Ten and ACC. Cincinnati and UConn were public about their desire to join the ACC, but Louisville was chosen over the two rivals.

At this point, both schools have to stay in the Big East, but sources at Cincinnati and UConn are under the impression, even if it's not known to be true yet, that the Big Ten will raid the ACC for two more schools -- North Carolina and Georgia Tech.

Both Cincinnati and UConn sources have said they ultimately think their schools will be in the ACC.

Of course, the Big Ten may not move beyond 14 members. Still, ACC schools that could be ripe for poaching -- Florida State and Clemson for a possible Big 12 play and NC State and Virginia Tech as a possibility to the SEC -- are waiting to see what happens with a lawsuit over whether Maryland has to pay a $52 million exit fee to join the Big Ten.

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All speculation of course..

Taken from the Disney article about Boise St. taking a step back and possibly staying in the MWV.

That's what Cincy and UConn are hoping for because that's their only escape route from the Big East. Of course those schools believe that will happen.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we know, Boise did choose to stay in the MWC.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before you flame remember that the last time I told you the Big was ready to move it was a mere two weeks later that MD and Rutgers were added...

The Big10 held a secret meeting two nights ago with unofficial representatives from 4 current ACC schools(UNC, UVA, GT, BC) and 1 current BigEast/Indy(ND).

Numerous topics were discussed including the BTN, TV contracts, and of course, expansion.

At this point the Big10 can not just stop at 16. They may very well only take 2 to begin with but it will be on the promise of more invites coming. No two schools in the ACC will move together at this point in time. Even with whispers of MD getting out for less than $25 million, no two schools will move yet. Now if the BiG sends out 3-4 invites they can get some of their better targets, but no one is leaving without at least two friends right now.

With that being the case, the Big is close to issuing invites to UVA, GT, BC, and UNC. That puts them at 18 with no plans of stopping there. Fox wants Notre Dame. The BiG wants ND. A 20 team BiG that included ND would have FOX paying nearly $600 million per year for Tier1(including CCG) rights-close to $30 million per team not counting Tier 2, Bowl payouts, playoffs, and BTN.

So assuming ND is 19, Who is 20?

Line up and beg!

Here's a list of who has told the BiG “NO”: Texas

Here's a list of who has told them “probably Not”: Kansas

Here's who remains that have been in talks of some type...

Uconn-would jump in a BigEast minute

Duke-would love to stay with big brother

Cuse-don't count them out

Pitt-nope

Wake-nope

Navy-Laugh if you will but do not count them out as a dark horse even with having MD, the midshipmen are a national name with a national following

Clemson-very unlikey

Miami-has possibly a better chance than...

FSU-not going to sugarcoat it here, FSU wants the BiG bad...real bad. So bad that their president has created a plan to reach AAU status within 5-7 years in hopes it will be enough to convince the BiG to take them as well. The SEC has already told them no. If they can get a BiG offer they believe an SEC offer will follow then watch the drama!

Like it or not, expansion is coming again, soon. We can't stop it, or slow it down. It will continue it's inexorable march and we will simply look on and add commentary.

Where does this leave the Big12? Fox is driving that bus too so no worries guys. If we happen to not land FSU there are still great pickings left from the group of NCST, VT, Clemson, Miami, Pitt, and the rest. Unfortunately the Big12 is not in quite the same position as the SEC and BiG. We will have to wait for the leavings...
EDIT------------------
I left out a big one...the NCAA will give a 20 team conference an extra game(semi-final) and it could allow for any conference with at least 10 teams to have a CCG as well(Delaney's own words). Lots going on in the shadows there. I'll keep you posted

^^^^ this is the latest expansion rumors i have seen(from a wvu "insider")

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big10 held a secret meeting two nights ago with unofficial representatives from 4 current ACC schools(UNC, UVA, GT, BC) and 1 current BigEast/Indy(ND).

^^^^ this is the latest expansion rumors i have seen(from a wvu "insider")

Note very secret if a "wvu insider" has the inside information. And last I checked, this "wvu insider" hasn't been correct on much of anything to date.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I don't see any conference going above 16 teams. There just won't be enough revenue to justify splitting the pie 18-20 ways and keep everyone happy. Besides, where are your sources?

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The dude of WVU has been wrong five times as often as he has been right.

That implies he's been right about anything. He hasn't been right the numerous times he's said FSU and Clemson's departure is imminent. He was sure ND was off to the Big 12. He didn't know about the SEC/Big 12 agreement. He didn't know anything about MD to the B1G, and he predicted UL would be in the Big 12. Am I missing anything? Quoting a WVU insider at this point should be grounds for the banhammer.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland filed a counter suit today against the ACC. Once they win that, UVA to the big ten, and we go to #GodsConference and I get a maroon and orange SEC Logo tattoo. Roll Tech Roll!

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland filed a counter suit today against the ACC. Once they win that, UVA to the big ten, and we go to #GodsConference and I get a maroon and orange SEC Logo tattoo. Roll Tech Roll!

Hahaha I know I don't need to say this, but you would have to post that on here.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

not so sure....most of the stuff i find says SEC is going to take unc/duke as their 2 ...uva/gt to b1g

the rest big 12???or maybe some hybrid acc/big east leftovers

but who knows at this point