• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment Thread

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well .. Now there's rumor that acc and B1g could be strumming up a deal similar to the b1g/pac12 deal that fell through. If that were the case then the acc would likely back up to 8 conference games
:nod:

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they merge? The Big East has already become a basketball conference.

They merge because UNC and Duke are attractive to the Big East, and vice versa.

One thing the Big East has had to date has been great leadership. Gavitt and Tranghesse were visionaries, that made something out of nothing.

If Im correct, and football drives to a four conference world, with 16 teams each, that spells doom for those remaining.

Figure Clemson, VT, FSU, GT, UM, Pitt, and maybe UNC leave for football realignment reasons. That leaves little for Duke, and without UNC, Duke kicks the BB can when coach K retires.

So, in this scenario, BIg East grabs Duke, some of the mid west BB schools, and sheds the cellar dwellers, just as the football confs will shed their cellar dwellers when all is said and done.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They merge because UNC and Duke are attractive to the Big East, and vice versa.

One thing the Big East has had to date has been great leadership. Gavitt and Tranghesse were visionaries, that made something out of nothing.

If Im correct, and football drives to a four conference world, with 16 teams each, that spells doom for those remaining.

Figure Clemson, VT, FSU, GT, UM, Pitt, and maybe UNC leave for football realignment reasons. That leaves little for Duke, and without UNC, Duke kicks the BB can when coach K retires.

So, in this scenario, BIg East grabs Duke, some of the mid west BB schools, and sheds the cellar dwellers, just as the football confs will shed their cellar dwellers when all is said and done.

I understand the value of Duke and UNC to the Big East. What I don't see is what the Big East brings to the table. The ACC has already taken all of the football power that they had.

The ACC may well be able to stand on its own in both football AND basketball.

If FSU, Clemson, and GT and VT stay in the ACC, they might well make a go of it.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If FSU, Clemson, and GT and VT stay in the ACC, they might well make a go of it.

FSU has always been the key.

I really think FSU bolts, if not this year, not much further down the road.

Now that ESPN has contracted 80M for the Rose Bowl, the contract for the new Big12/SEC Champions game will surely surpass the 80M.

That leaves no one for the ACC to attract, which is why ND becomes the wild card, but ND likes their independence.

Thats when FSU looks around and sees that every other major football conf is getting $$$ for their bowl games, while the Orange Bowl gets $$.

FSU will go hyperspaz and bolt. Clemson will be close behind, and VT will be forced to do the same.

Whats left in the ACC becomes football irrelevant.

That will begin the basketball consolidation.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ exactly. Once fsu leaves, everyone else will fall into place. Will finally be time for Gods conference

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Virginia Tech drops some games to accommodate the 9 conference games. These are the nonconference opponents.

2013: Alabama in Atlanta, Western Carolina and Marshall at home.

2014: William and Mary and Western Michigan at home, Ohio State on the road.

2015: Furman, Ohio State and East Carolina at home.

2016: Liberty and Wisconsin at home, ECU on the road.

Teel Time: Virginia Tech adds Liberty to future football schedule - dailypress.com

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems like the right time to resurrect this.

With Maryland and Rutgers likely to the Big 10, what does that mean for the ACC/VT?

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the right time to resurrect this.

With Maryland and Rutgers likely to the Big 10, what does that mean for the ACC/VT?

It means the death of the ACC; VT, Clemson, and FSU will land either in the B12 or SEC (probably a combination of the two). Quite frankly, I don't really care what happens to the rest of the conference.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't necessarily think that it will mean the death of the ACC ... but depending on the precedent set regarding the buyout, it could set the wheels in motion with FSU -- FSU is the key I think. If they leave for the Big12, all hell will break loose. At that point, it will be a race of mice to the cheese.

The ACC will look to pick up UConn if they lose Maryland

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would have never guessed UMD would have mattered, but I can see how that has a negative impact just by unraveling the string a little and setting a precedent. Like getting a pull in your sweater.

I had thought the Big 10 would have been a good fit for VT, who would at least be competitive there.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Most are thinking that, since Maryland, handles the DC market for the B1G, that VT won't really be as attractive to them. I'd expect FAIRY DUST to get picked up by the B1G before VT if Maryland goes....and then we know where VT will end up ....

#GodsConference

Last edited by a moderator:

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of writers have indicated that this will cause a shockwave of conference realignment across the country. I'm not sure if this move will do it, though. This will put the Big Ten equal to the SEC with 14 members. Unless somebody makes a move to 16 members I'm not sure that anything besides the ACC adding a 14th member will happen. Two things I think that would cause the shockwave:

1) FSU, Clemson, or VT inquire to other conferences causing the ACC to unravel and become the next Big East.

2) Big 12 feels pressure to add new members out of fear of becoming irrelevant as a smaller conference, or getting picked apart by SEC/BigTen/Pac-12.

If neither of those happen, I think ACC just adds UCONN and calls it a day.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why would the B1G pick up TINKERBELL? To further weaken their football franchise?

I still think it's a better fit for VT, if the ACC doesn't pan out.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maryland's Board of Regents approved the move, so Maryland is now headed for the B1G.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B1G: adds MD, Rutgers.....Cuse and PIPSQUEAK?
Big12: adds FSU, Clemson, GT, NCSU?
SEC: adds VT and UNC?

Remaining ACC: Duke, Wake, Pitt, BC, Miami......all rabid fan bases.
New ACC members: UConn, L-ville, Cincy, Navy....

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC is never leaving the ACC.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree none of the Tobacco Road schools are likely to bolt (maybe, big maybe UNC and/orNCST..if they were asked after the shit hit the fan).

It looks to me like the ACC is turning into the NEW Big East...basically a basketball conference. With the addition of 'Cuse, Pitt, possibly UCONN next...Football will only be up to snuff, but basketball will be great! :rolleyes:

The realignment chatter will be very active this offseason. I am still hopeful that VT is going to be proactive about all of this. I think it is unlikely that we would be left out if there was a major shift, but never say never.