• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment News, HOLY CRAP!

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think if you look at Nebraska's average score on tests to get into graduate schools (LSAT, GRE, GMAT), you guys are a very underrated school. Your reputation as an elite school isn't there, but if you look at measurables, you guys are slightly above schools like Iowa, Purdue, and Michigan State. I think you guys do belong in the B1G, and over time your academic ranking will climb to reflect that.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair....the B1G presidents feel that Nebraska's academic and research value was a fit in the long term. I was just pointing out that current status isn't necessarily as big a deal to the B1G as Smart was making it sound. VT is another school that has been rising in the ranks. I know I've posted a list of potential B1G teams and their endowments/academic standings. I just can't remember if it was in this thread.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO @ Smart's degree being "diluted" because of what other schools are in the B1G. Did you graduate from a school or a conference? This is worse than TEAM SEC :pound:

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fork'Em was the one who mentioned Nebraska's AAU membership or lack thereof. All that I said about Nebraska was that they were "a tough sell", something which is undeniably true.

Fair enough.. But I suspect you were eluding too said event...

I know you are intelligent enough to go find the details of why we had to vacate some of our research facilities that had previously always been accounted for and part of the AAU membership criteria... Tell me that this was done in fairness and above board?

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I work in academia, and I write grants, work on projects etc with a lot of other schools. None of that has ever been decided because of the conference the other school is in.

The B1G does have an academic mirror organization though, that includes Chicago. I believe they have grant sharing and research networks?

Not saying adding a school could actually decrease the value of someone's degree. It could increase the value of someone's education at a place like...say...Nebraska...via some of the sharing?

^ genuinely asking. I do NOT work in academia.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've obviously never lived in a big midwestern town. Being a "Big Ten" school here is really prestigious. At least where I grew up (Suburban Chicago), they are considered the most prestigious schools outside of the Ivy League. Alumni of the schools are everywhere, and whether you have a degree from Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc., respect your degree much more than other similarly ranked public schools.

To dilute the value of the Big Ten when it comes to academics would harm thee degrees of myself and tens of thousands of other Big Ten graduates. If you think that people wouldn't be pissed and threaten to lower donations and grants, you are only kidding yourself. Seriously, places that are a large percentage of Big Ten grads might just riot if a school like Kansas State were placed in a conference with us.

Ahh. So you are one of those people.

OK. I can see where this going. I am not going to comment on that...

:peace2:

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're talking about employment here. People hiring in Indianapolis might not know much about the individual academics of Iowa or Minnesota or Wisconsin, but they do know that we are a Big Ten school and that Big Ten schools are well regarded public land grant schools. Much like people will associate Dartmouth and Cornell with the Ivy League, people in the midwest will always associate Wisconsin with the Big Ten.

I'm more than a little surprised that you guys are offended by this, as I thought it was widely acknowlged fact. I imagine there are cities where the ACC holds the same clout or the Pac 12 holds the same clout.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B1G does have an academic mirror organization though, that includes Chicago. I believe they have grant sharing and research networks?

Not saying adding a school could actually decrease the value of someone's degree. It could increase the value of someone's education at a place like...say...Nebraska...via some of the sharing?

^ genuinely asking. I do NOT work in academia.

I work at the second most highly funded school of public health in the nation and we are nipping at Harvard's heels for first. We work with who has the most to offer. In the past year, i have worked with Harvard, Cambridge, McGill, Case Western, Auburn and NC State. Never once has "conference affiliation" entered the discussion.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, if this plan comes to fruition, and then falls on its face after a few years, I would like to see a big-market New East 9 with PSU, Rutgers, the 'Cuse, VaTech, UVA, BC, UConn, Pitt, and the Alabama Crimson Tide. lol, and notice I left out the couch-burners. I'll check in later.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're talking about employment here. People hiring in Indianapolis might not know much about the individual academics of Iowa or Minnesota or Wisconsin, but they do know that we are a Big Ten school and that Big Ten schools are well regarded public land grant schools. Much like people will associate Dartmouth and Cornell with the Ivy League, people in the midwest will always associate Wisconsin with the Big Ten.

I'm more than a little surprised that you guys are offended by this, as I thought it was widely acknowlged fact. I imagine there are cities where the ACC holds the same clout or the Pac 12 holds the same clout.

I think that this is the shit that schools feed you when you are taking tours and stuff. In the real world, or grad school, ha, good luck. Your publication record and interview mean a lot more than the school you graduated from.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that this is the shit that schools feed you when you are taking tours and stuff. In the real world, or grad school, ha, good luck. Your publication record and interview mean a lot more than the school you graduated from.

on your side for the most part.. but as a current 'job seeker'.. school has a lot to do with getting said interview.. IMO at least

still saying school though, not conference

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on your side for the most part.. but as a current 'job seeker'.. school has a lot to do with getting said interview.. IMO at least

still saying school though, not conference

Yes, but would it make a difference if the school was Purdue, Florida, Baylor or VT?

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are definitely right about grad school. For employment, it isn't the biggest factor by any stretch, but I still think that people are more likely to score interviews in the midwest with a B1G degree than a similarly ranked school elsewhere. If you put a Marquette grad against an Indiana grad in Cleveland, with all else being equal, I really do feel the Indiana grad would get the callback because people know "Indiana is a Big Ten school and Big Ten schools are well-regarded."

Also, reality isn't the decider here. Even if I am wrong, if there are people who think like me (and trust me, there are), and they stop donating out of frustration, the decision will harm the money flow.

I got to work on finals, so i'll quit making redundant posts now.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but would it make a difference if the school was Purdue, Florida, Baylor or VT?

prolly not haha.. VT was ranked 5th in engineering though recently, that should help! :)

unfortunately GT and Purdue were ahead (where my sister/parents went.. damn)

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair....the B1G presidents feel that Nebraska's academic and research value was a fit in the long term. I was just pointing out that current status isn't necessarily as big a deal to the B1G as Smart was making it sound. VT is another school that has been rising in the ranks. I know I've posted a list of potential B1G teams and their endowments/academic standings. I just can't remember if it was in this thread.

That is how Utah got in the Pac.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think if you look at Nebraska's average score on tests to get into graduate schools (LSAT, GRE, GMAT), you guys are a very underrated school. Your reputation as an elite school isn't there, but if you look at measurables, you guys are slightly above schools like Iowa, Purdue, and Michigan State. I think you guys do belong in the B1G, and over time your academic ranking will climb to reflect that.

No worries gents.... I was just standing up for my institutions colors...
We love the Big Ten from all accounts I have heard and wouldn't trade going back to the Big 12 for anything...

:tj: Sorry to have changed topics... 46&2...

Carry on.... Like I said.... I enjoy reading what is being cast out among the press and or connections...there of...