• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment News, HOLY CRAP!

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's been a lot of people out there who have been talking up Penn State to the ACC. You see stuff about it all the time in the Big Ten Blog on ESPN (note: I know this doesn't mean anything), but i've also heard stuff from friends who are much more engaged with this than I am. I don't think there is anything to the rumors, but I do believe that Jim Delaney and other B1G brass are worried that there is some truth to them.

They aren't worried.

(for future reference, if I PM you, telling people that I PMed you kind of defeats the purpose of using PM)

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the B1G should just go for gold and steal both Florida, Tejas, Georgia, Alabama, Cal, and USC. Then....all your recruits will be ooouuuurrrssss... ON WISCONSIN!

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BCS system is broken, not the conference system, as it pertains to the B1G. This move would dilute conference rivalries, and perhaps even force the Big 10 to take a substandard (academic) U.

Totally agree. This is the death of college football, IMO.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's been a lot of people out there who have been talking up Penn State to the ACC. You see stuff about it all the time in the Big Ten Blog on ESPN (note: I know this doesn't mean anything), but i've also heard stuff from friends who are much more engaged with this than I am. I don't think there is anything to the rumors, but I do believe that Jim Delaney and other B1G brass are worried that there is some truth to them.

I don't think PSU to ACC is going to happen, unless someone really screws something up.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(for future reference, if I PM you, telling people that I PMed you kind of defeats the purpose of using PM)

Sorry. I thought if I didn't reveal the info, it would be no big deal. I won't do that again.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My feeling (from all i've seen) is that the B1G is much more worried about losing Penn State to the ACC than the ACC is about losing any schools to the B1G.

Nah..When it comes to football, the B1G is "king" as opposed to the ACC. The same could certainly be said for the SEC. IT is quite obvious to me that some schools are always going to be "football" schools, and some are always going to be "basketball" schools. There are VERY few that over the course of time (years, maybe a decade or two) that have been consistent winners at BOTH. The ACC is generally more of a football conference, and the ACC is more of a BBall conference (traditionally). Although most of the programs in the ACC fit "geographically", I am not sure that all of them fit "demographically". I think you can certainly make arguments of why several of the "football" schools would (and make no mistake..they would if it comes down to it) be better fits in either the B1G or the SEC.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And congrats 46, this thread blew up: first time I've ever seen more than 3 people viewing this forum at the same time. Though I got here in the off-season.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the B1G should just go for gold and steal both Florida, Tejas, Georgia, Alabama, Cal, and USC. Then....all your recruits will be ooouuuurrrssss... ON WISCONSIN!

I would not mind that so much...

Since 1960 USC is
8-1 vs Illinois
3-0 vs Indiana
6-1 vs Iowa
6-1 vs Michigan
4-4 vs Michigan State
5-0-1 vs Minnesota
3-0-1 vs Nebraska
3-0 vs Northwestern
9-4 vs Ohio State
4-4 vs Penn State
3-1 vs Purdue
3-0 vs Wisconsin

57-16-2

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BCS system is broken, not the conference system, as it pertains to the B1G. This move would dilute conference rivalries, and perhaps even force the Big 10 to take a substandard (academic) U.

With all due respect JMlion, although some people might care about the academic reputation of a school (and a conference to a lesser degree IMO). What it all comes down to is $$$$, not maintaining the "conference's" academic guidelines, standards, and integrity. If any conference is worried about getting leftovers from the conference realignment (of less academic quality), then they need to get more active in bringing in the teams/schools that they want. In other words..Shit..or get off the Pot..

At any rate. I don't think that any of these conferences will have to worry about getting a quality football school WITH reasonably high academic standards (if that is what they are looking for)..

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah .. i did think that was a bit of a dick move .. don't think that'll be happening again

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all due respect JMlion, although some people might care about the academic reputation of a school (and a conference to a lesser degree IMO). What it all comes down to is $$$$, not maintaining the "conference's" academic guidelines, standards, and integrity. If any conference is worried about getting leftovers from the conference realignment (of less academic quality), then they need to get more active in bringing in the teams/schools that they want. In other words..Shit..or get off the Pot..

At any rate. I don't think that any of these conferences will have to worry about getting a quality football school WITH reasonably high academic standards (if that is what they are looking for)..

If that was true then why would the Pac not have snatched up 2 of these 3 schools, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma State to go along with the Boat loads of cash from Texas and Oklahoma?

Utah and Colorado brought in Money, but they brought in less than some other schools would have.

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't worried.

LMAO.... so much for the higher education system that Smart eluded too by thumbing his nose at Nebraska not being AAU presently... which everyone knows was a complete farce... Add our medical research facilities back as they were.... just prior to our joining of the Big Ten, and we would be fine...

Smart in his eloquent mannerism... has shown all of us in his fine post... just how much we have to rise... to be at that level...:der:

Sorry 46&2, I enjoy reading your data... not trying to make light of it.. Just poking fun at the scholar from Wisconsin... that looks down on us Huskers from high upon his perch!

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all due respect JMlion, although some people might care about the academic reputation of a school (and a conference to a lesser degree IMO). What it all comes down to is $$$$, not maintaining the "conference's" academic guidelines, standards, and integrity.

You've obviously never lived in a big midwestern town. Being a "Big Ten" school here is really prestigious. At least where I grew up (Suburban Chicago), they are considered the most prestigious schools outside of the Ivy League. Alumni of the schools are everywhere, and whether you have a degree from Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc., respect your degree much more than other similarly ranked public schools.

To dilute the value of the Big Ten when it comes to academics would harm thee degrees of myself and tens of thousands of other Big Ten graduates. If you think that people wouldn't be pissed and threaten to lower donations and grants, you are only kidding yourself. Seriously, places that are a large percentage of Big Ten grads might just riot if a school like Kansas State were placed in a conference with us.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like schools aren't so much changing conferences as they are creating a higher tier football only league. For example: Vandy and Kentucky would still play basketball in the SEC, but wouldn't play football in the SEC's Alpha Tier. I'm probably way off.

No I think you are correct. Last summer (on another board) I was predicting there would be 3 tiers in the near future. FCS at the bottom with the lower half of FBS being relegated to middle level.

HAdn't thought about it being FB only but it makes sense.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if this is the case .. I -- as a Hokie fan -- would absolutely LOVE this setup. B1G for football and ACC for all other sports = HUGE HUGE WIN ... the best of both worlds ...

and down with the Hoos once and for all

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not mind that so much...

Since 1960 USC is
8-1 vs Illinois
3-0 vs Indiana
6-1 vs Iowa
6-1 vs Michigan
4-4 vs Michigan State
5-0-1 vs Minnesota
3-0-1 vs Nebraska
3-0 vs Northwestern
9-4 vs Ohio State
4-4 vs Penn State
3-1 vs Purdue
3-0 vs Wisconsin

57-16-2

LOL And out of those Rose Bowls, Wisconsin was actually the closest to coming away with wins. They came up just shy... Sounds fucking familiar... :L

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO.... so much for the higher education system that Smart eluded too by thumbing his nose at Nebraska not being AAU presently... which everyone knows was a complete farce... Add our medical research facilities back as they were.... just prior to our joining of the Big Ten, and we would be fine...

Fork'Em was the one who mentioned Nebraska's AAU membership or lack thereof. All that I said about Nebraska was that they were "a tough sell", something which is undeniably true.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've obviously never lived in a big midwestern town. Being a "Big Ten" school here is really prestigious. At least where I grew up (Suburban Chicago), they are considered the most prestigious schools outside of the Ivy League. Alumni of the schools are everywhere, and whether you have a degree from Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc., respect your degree much more than other similarly ranked public schools.

To dilute the value of the Big Ten when it comes to academics would harm thee degrees of myself and tens of thousands of other Big Ten graduates. If you think that people wouldn't be pissed and threaten to lower donations and grants, you are only kidding yourself. Seriously, places that are a large percentage of Big Ten grads might just riot if a school like Kansas State were placed in a conference with us.

:L

Here we go....

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it was pretty clear rivalries were out the window when TAMU left.........