• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Real Talk --- Auburn's rushing attack

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Bama fan, I can still admit that Malzahn is an offensive genius, and he put together a damn fine rushing attack this season.

Do they continue to rack up 300+ rushing yards a game on each opponent again next season?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if they did. I would also be surprised if they run the same exact offense.

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be shocked if they did. They surprised some people this year and next year they won't have that element of surprise.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The backbone of Auburn's current rushing attack has been an amped-up version of the zone-read, which gives Marshall as many as four options: (1) throw a receiver screen, (2) hand it to Mason, (3) keep the ball, or (4) keep the ball and then toss it to a receiver who can sit in an open area of the defense if the man covering him comes up for the run — a form of the quadruple-option.

ih3R8tYvXniXl.jpg

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a damn good rushing game u have to be disciplined and assignment sound to contain it. If i was a coach i would practice without a ball all week to prepare for it. That way everyone is assignment sound and not looking for the ball and just worried about doing their job.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Will be missing their very talented LT - Robinson, probably their center the other top talent on their Oline. Will be without the great blocking FB Prosche. Without all star RB. I would say its pretty safe to say they will take a step back running between the tackles. The question can they make up enough outside and in the passing game.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson was a beast. Watch the Bama game, he was the best player of the field. Against Mizzu he was collapsing the line. Guy is a beast run blocking

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not. Atleast, I hope not. With Marshall returning, I would hope they spend the next 200+ days improving his passing so they can have a more balanced offense like in 2010. This was a rebuilding year, so they should be better next year! :-)

Malzahn gets insulted by calling him a high school coach but that's actually a good thing in a way - he has more experience and demonstrated the highest levels of success at multiple locations adapting his offense to use the talent available. It's one thing to recruit talent required to run your offense, another to be able to recognize the talent available and adapt to maximize their performance.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not. Atleast, I hope not. With Marshall returning, I would hope they spend the next 200+ days improving his passing so they can have a more balanced offense like in 2010. This was a rebuilding year, so they should be better next year! :-)

Malzahn gets insulted by calling him a high school coach but that's actually a good thing in a way - he has more experience and demonstrated the highest levels of success at multiple locations adapting his offense to use the talent available. It's one thing to recruit talent required to run your offense, another to be able to recognize the talent available and adapt to maximize their performance.

I actually think that jeremy johnson kid should be yalls QB next year. I have no clue why yall burnt his redshirt for Western Carolina. Johnathon Wallace could have won that game.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows if the rushing will continue but I do know Auburn has never done well in a favorite role. Every time they are expected to do well and can't sneak up on someone they fail! They never go on a 3 or more year run of success. Look back and you will see they only do well when they surprise people. None of those players were Malzahn's either. Like everything else people will be better prepared the second time around. We'll see?

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows if the rushing will continue but I do know Auburn has never done well in a favorite role. Every time they are expected to do well and can't sneak up on someone they fail! They never go on a 3 or more year run of success. Look back and you will see they only do well when they surprise people. None of those players were Malzahn's either. Like everything else people will be better prepared the second time around. We'll see?

yea I think they dont do quite as well next year. I got them at 9-3,with losses to LSU,Alabama,and Ole Miss

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure how those weren't Malzahn's players really. He was just at Auburn a few years ago and was only gone 1 year.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think that jeremy johnson kid should be yalls QB next year. I have no clue why yall burnt his redshirt for Western Carolina. Johnathon Wallace could have won that game.

I was suprised as well.

The predictions of Auburn not doing well while acknowledging Gus's offensive scheming ability are interesting. This will be the first time Gus has a returning QB at the college level. If the defense improves a bit, especially the secondary...look out.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was suprised as well.

The predictions of Auburn not doing well while acknowledging Gus's offensive scheming ability are interesting. This will be the first time Gus has a returning QB at the college level. If the defense improves a bit, especially the secondary...look out.

I base my prediction of a drop off on complacency. It is hard to avoid. All last off season all the players on Auburn heard about was 3-9 record and 3 out of 4 national titles for Bama so I imagine they worked their ass off to prove people wrong. Well this off season all they are gonna hear about is the greatest turn around season ever and how good they are. How they played for a national title. I think that is gonna cause them to not work as hard during this off season and that is where national titles are truly won is in the off season.

:suds:

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how those weren't Malzahn's players really. He was just at Auburn a few years ago and was only gone 1 year.

Until you're the head coach I don't think the players can be considered your recruiting classes. You think Alabama has the exact same class if Kirby Smart is the head coach and Saban is not in the picture at all? And if people think it's the same being the hunted as opposed to the hunter they don't know as much about football as they think. Total different mindset and Auburn has never done well in the "target on your back" role.

You also never know what leaves with them when players leave, including at Alabama. Anyone remember when Alabama won the 199 SEC championship and only lost Shaun Alexander and Chris Samuels. Started season #3 and finished 3-8! Now, there were other issues like internal coach issues and Dubose starting to earn his nickname of Coach "Dumbass" but leadership is hard to replace. Losing your top lineman,top back, teams seeing scheme for the second time around while having a target on your back is a little different than what they faced this year. :noidea:

Last edited by a moderator:

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a damn good rushing game u have to be disciplined and assignment sound to contain it. If i was a coach i would practice without a ball all week to prepare for it. That way everyone is assignment sound and not looking for the ball and just worried about doing their job.

Troof....

Tre Mason will be missed, but I think the key to Auburn's success next year will be improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if they did. I would also be surprised if they run the same exact offense.

It will be the same but the reads will be different and passing more integrated. Gus's offense is like a motion offense in basketball you have a starting point, read the defense and take what is open. Tough to execute but if you have the right people equally hard to defend.

My guess is they will rake up rushing yards on the defenses that give them up and passing yards against the ones that don't.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Troof....

Tre Mason will be missed, but I think the key to Auburn's success next year will be improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

Backs are plug and play in the offense the true loses are Robinson the tackle and Prosch the fullback that is a lot of class A blocking to replace. On defense if they find a replacement for Dee Ford they should actually be greatly improved.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He wasn't going to stay 5 years and if Marshall went down in a big game we had to have a solid backup. JJ is going to be special and the interest in QB recruits right now is high so it was a solid move.