• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Read Option

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, well, the left scramble didn't help. :)

No it didn't and I have thought that Smith may be feeding the media with his claim simply to draw attention away from the fact that he didn't slide - I guess we'll never know.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it takes more that just athletic ability to have success using the read option in the NFL... While QB's like CK, RW. RGIII and Cam Newton are known for their athleticism, it's their aptitude for the QB position that make them effective in the read option...

agree, it is more along these lines.

yep, it starts with the QB but it is also the entire offense. if you don't have 10 other guys who can run it effectively, then it won't work anyway.

defenses have no choice but to devise ways to stop it, but scheming can only do so much. to stop ZNY good offense, you need more defensive talent.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen the read option a lot as a South Carolina fan, and been reading about different approaches to playing it. This guy has an article (down the page) about defending it in College football:

“If the defensive end is fast enough to be able to play the running back or the quarterback instead of some other person on your defense, that frees up a guy,” he said. “If nine guys out of your 11 can run somebody down, it always helps.”

Here's JD Clowney putting this idea into motion. Notice how he moves inside, then pops back out to cover the QB when he makes the right read and keeps:

ClowneyWilson.gif

We have an excellent running QB (Connor Shaw) When we played Michigan in the Outback Bowl, they were running stunts where the LBs faked coverages then rolled over to cover the QB when he kept - saw some more of that this season. So if more teams go zone read in the NFL, I think you're going to see an (even) higher premium on fast, athletic DEs, and more sophisticated defensive approaches.

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Parcells said the same thing on TV.

I hope they do it so they can get roughing the passer calls all the time, Then also, one less player trying to stop Gore who can get big chunks of yards himself.

This will be the result at least half the time. That's a 15-yard penalty and automatic first down on say 10 plays. You can't win giving up 150 yards in penalties in a game. Not consistently, anyway.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen the read option a lot as a South Carolina fan, and been reading about different approaches to playing it. This guy has an article (down the page) about defending it in College football:

Here's JD Clowney putting this idea into motion. Notice how he moves inside, then pops back out to cover the QB when he makes the right read and keeps:

ClowneyWilson.gif

We have an excellent running QB (Connor Shaw) When we played Michigan in the Outback Bowl, they were running stunts where the LBs faked coverages then rolled over to cover the QB when he kept - saw some more of that this season. So if more teams go zone read in the NFL, I think you're going to see an (even) higher premium on fast, athletic DEs, and more sophisticated defensive approaches.

Interesting take. Applying this to this Sunday's game, will is it Biermann or Abraham that will be responsible for protecting the edge?

Aside from the 56 td run, most of successful runs were him taking off in a lane opened up by the pass rush

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take. Applying this to this Sunday's game, will is it Biermann or Abraham that will be responsible for protecting the edge?

Aside from the 56 td run, most of successful runs were him taking off in a lane opened up by the pass rush

The OP was more about the future of the ZR, and I think it's interesting as a trend, on both sides of the ball.

But Abraham was banged up last week (ankle), and from the looks of it, I don't know how effective he'll be for this game (or if he'll be out there at all). They actually plugged in Cliff Matthews and a rookie out there. I just don't see the ATL D matching up well with the niners and CK.

mm03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Read-option has been around for a while now, yet it's just hitting the NFL landscape. The proof that it's still successful at the college level after all this time is evidence it's going to be hard to stomp out. Personally, I hate seeing it be successful; the game has become far too finesse as it is. Tough offseason for DC's lies ahead.

It's always going to be successful at the college level because most defenses aren't athletic enough across the board to stop freak QBs. I actually think Conway has it right to just lay big hits on the QB every time the ball ends up going to the RB.. As long as it's pretty bang bang they can't really do much about it.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got to say this, watching them play the read option they make it look so easy. Just thinking About the process of the play is is really a scary thing lol. Kap needs to have such concentration and be very decisive. And our RBs as well need to not react to the bell being pulled away when they might just get it.

I'd be nervous as heck running those plays lol

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I got to say this, watching them play the read option they make it look so easy. Just thinking About the process of the play is is really a scary thing lol. Kap needs to have such concentration and be very decisive. And our RBs as well need to not react to the bell being pulled away when they might just get it.

true, as fans we do take that hand-off for granted.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, especially if they think they see a hole and think the QB sees it too, they'll clinch the ball when the QB is trying to keep it.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sort of like the Wild-Cat! It hasn't been seen in the NFL consistently for a while! Teams valuing their QBs! The Defenses have to stay at home, and do their assignment to cover all options instead of flowing to the ball carrier! Injuries and tough shots will occur like on the naked bootleg for ex. at times!! Go 49ers!!