• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Read Option

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Aaron Rodgers: Read Option will eventually pass

Figured it was worth a discussion on what everyone's take is on the read option since it pertains heavily to us.

I partially agree with Rodgers on it. I don't think it's going to take over NFL offenses and completely change the game but I do think it's not going anywhere either.

I think as long as you have athletic freaks like CK the read option is something that will always be a threat and effective. Defenses will catch up to it so it's not like you're going to be able to do it 33 times a game like we did against the Pack but it's something you can run a few times a game to keep a defense off balance.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what he is talking about when he says people were running it 20-30 years ago. I don't remember anyone doing this in 1992. Cunningham and Young were the mobile QBs of the day, and they were just pocket passers who could run if they had to... it wasn't a read option or wildcat offense. I think Cunningham had some designed running plays, but it was all about him running... not an option run.

He is right that eventually NFL defenses will catch up to it though, they always do... so it is up to teams like the 49ers and Redskins to always keep innovating the RB/QB option plays.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think there are a few issues that will prevent the NFL teams from countering it very quickly. Biggest thing is that unlike previous trends like the West Coast offense, which just required them to figure out a new defensive formation to stop it......with this one they actually need new personnel in addition to new schemes. Primarily they'll need quicker linebackers that can stop the QB runs even after a moment's hesitation checking on the play action.

And another thing is that in the past the answer to this would have been to lay out the QB when he runs it, making him either unwilling or unable to run again. But rules changes are taking some of the vulnerability away from running QBs.....maybe teams will be willing to take the penalties to get in their shots, but if that becomes a trend look for the NFL to put a stop to it, violence is just a decreasing part of the game from year to year.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aaron Rodgers: Read Option will eventually pass

Figured it was worth a discussion on what everyone's take is on the read option since it pertains heavily to us.

I partially agree with Rodgers on it. I don't think it's going to take over NFL offenses and completely change the game but I do think it's not going anywhere either.

I think as long as you have athletic freaks like CK the read option is something that will always be a threat and effective. Defenses will catch up to it so it's not like you're going to be able to do it 33 times a game like we did against the Pack but it's something you can run a few times a game to keep a defense off balance.

I think it takes more that just athletic ability to have success using the read option in the NFL... While QB's like CK, RW. RGIII and Cam Newton are known for their athleticism, it's their aptitude for the QB position that make them effective in the read option...

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are a few issues that will prevent the NFL teams from countering it very quickly. Biggest thing is that unlike previous trends like the West Coast offense, which just required them to figure out a new defensive formation to stop it......with this one they actually need new personnel in addition to new schemes. Primarily they'll need quicker linebackers that can stop the QB runs even after a moment's hesitation checking on the play action.

And another thing is that in the past the answer to this would have been to lay out the QB when he runs it, making him either unwilling or unable to run again. But rules changes are taking some of the vulnerability away from running QBs.....maybe teams will be willing to take the penalties to get in their shots, but if that becomes a trend look for the NFL to put a stop to it, violence is just a decreasing part of the game from year to year.

If the QB allows for it. Guys like Griffon (sp? Griffin?), and Vick play recklessly and open themselves up for big hits. It doesn't appear that guys like Kaepernick and Newton take silly risks trying to pick up minimal gains. Could just be a matter of time, but Newton and Kaepernick are also a lot bigger than the other two, leading to more durability.

Time will tell, though. I do feel Rodgers is a bit of sour grapes if he said that after his team was just demolished by the read-option.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the QB allows for it. Guys like Griffon (sp? Griffin?), and Vick play recklessly and open themselves up for big hits. It doesn't appear that guys like Kaepernick and Newton take silly risks trying to pick up minimal gains. Could just be a matter of time, but Newton and Kaepernick are also a lot bigger than the other two, leading to more durability.

Time will tell, though. I do feel Rodgers is a bit of sour grapes if he said that after his team was just demolished by the read-option.

There it is!

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, Warty, I've definitely liked that Kap doesn't seem as eager to take the hit as some others.....Griffin seems like he's going to end his career early trying to prove how tough he is.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Read-option has been around for a while now, yet it's just hitting the NFL landscape. The proof that it's still successful at the college level after all this time is evidence it's going to be hard to stomp out. Personally, I hate seeing it be successful; the game has become far too finesse as it is. Tough offseason for DC's lies ahead.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOX Sports Video - Can Atlanta keep down Kaepernick?

So, in this video Curtis Conway suggests that what a defense should do is just designate a guy to hit the QB every time they run the Read Option, hit him even when he hands it off to Gore.

That isn't legal is it? Doesn't sound legal, you can't hit guys just because maybe they have the ball.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Warty, I've definitely liked that Kap doesn't seem as eager to take the hit as some others.....Griffin seems like he's going to end his career early trying to prove how tough he is.

Oddly enough, if Alex Smith had been less willing to take a hit and slid instead, he could have still been the QB here. I know they said it was the QB sneak, but I think the one where he didn't slide was the one. So while some people think a running QB is more susceptible, a traditional QB is if he isn't being smart about it. I still don't get what Smith was thinking to not just slide. He did that two years ago a game after coming back from his left shoulder injury, too.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read-option has been around for a while now, yet it's just hitting the NFL landscape. The proof that it's still successful at the college level after all this time is evidence it's going to be hard to stomp out. Personally, I hate seeing it be successful; the game has become far too finesse as it is. Tough offseason for DC's lies ahead.

I think that is a common misconception about the read-option. The o-linemen might be lighter, but they still rely on winning the game in the trenches. Many of the runs go through the middle, and that is where the really physical aspect of the game lies. Big hits over the middle can still happen, too. The rules have made it flag football for everyone else, not the offensive schemes.

EDIT: It might as well be flag football for everyone else with the new rules, that is.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, in this video Curtis Conway suggests that what a defense should do is just designate a guy to hit the QB every time they run the Read Option, hit him even when he hands it off to Gore.

That isn't legal is it? Doesn't sound legal, you can't hit guys just because maybe they have the ball.

I don't see how that would work. So in an attempt to stop it, you're going to make sure the defense only has 10 guys?

In that scenario, the QB can hit back, too.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oddly enough, if Alex Smith had been less willing to take a hit and slid instead, he could have still been the QB here. I know they said it was the QB sneak, but I think the one where he didn't slide was the one. So while some people think a running QB is more susceptible, a traditional QB is if he isn't being smart about it. I still don't get what Smith was thinking to not just slide. He did that two years ago a game after coming back from his left shoulder injury, too.

Smith claimed his concussion came not on his scramble to his left but rather on a play or two earlier.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It isn't legal, I don't think, but some people can make it look innocent. Obviously the more often you do it and the harder you do it, the more obvious. But it can wear you out a bit and frustrate you. I think Kaep is tough enough to battle through it. Plus, he's fast enough to avoid some. I didn't read the article yet, if they said that's what they are going to do, that's not smart. For one, it gives the refs something to look at and something for us to be prepared more for. If it's just some guy's opinion than it has less effect on them doing it or the refs/Niners knowing about it. I'm sure they've thought about independently.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith claimed his concussion came not on his scramble to his left but rather on a play or two earlier.

Ok, well, the left scramble didn't help. :)

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how that would work. So in an attempt to stop it, you're going to make sure the defense only has 10 guys?

Yeah, the scenario is pretty absurd. How often are DE or LBs right there at the handoff to make a tackle? I guess it sounds good in his mind, but it is pretty unrealistic.

I guess that is what happens when a WR tries to come up with a way to stop a running play. They might as well bring in Wayne Gretzky and ask him how to stop the read-option.

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't legal, I don't think, but some people can make it look innocent. Obviously the more often you do it and the harder you do it, the more obvious. But it can wear you out a bit and frustrate you. I think Kaep is tough enough to battle through it. Plus, he's fast enough to avoid some. I didn't read the article yet, if they said that's what they are going to do, that's not smart. For one, it gives the refs something to look at and something for us to be prepared more for. If it's just some guy's opinion than it has less effect on them doing it or the refs/Niners knowing about it. I'm sure they've thought about independently.

Well I think Conway was suggesting that when CK was following through with his fake run outside that the LB or DE should still hit him instead of change gears and go after the RB. That part doesn't sound legal to me.

If a LB or DE got through the line untouched and was right there at the handoff and could hit either the RB or QB and chose to hit the QB, I think that would be legal.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think Conway was suggesting that when CK was following through with his fake run outside that the LB or DE should still hit him instead of change gears and go after the RB. That part doesn't sound legal to me.

If a LB or DE got through the line untouched and was right there at the handoff and could hit either the RB or QB and chose to hit the QB, I think that would be legal.

I think football is instinctual and every play has different aspects than others. Sometimes, it would be better to just get the RB if you think he has it. Try to trust your instincts. You'll get burned sometimes and you'll foil our plans sometimes. If you are making an effort to hit Kaep each time, half the time you just took a defender out of the tackle. Sometimes of course you are already out of position to the get the RB, so why not hit Kaep? But yeah, doesn't sound legal if you can see that it was on purpose and they didn't know. It'll come down to how often, how hard, and how good of actors they are. It also comes down to how good of actors we are, too - if we act well enough it becomes more probable that it was a hit on someone they genuinely thought had the ball.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Parcells said the same thing on TV.

I hope they do it so they can get roughing the passer calls all the time, Then also, one less player trying to stop Gore who can get big chunks of yards himself.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It wont work. Read option is no different with regard to timing than a play action. Once Kap hands the ball off he is no longer the focus of the play, once he takes the ball and assumes a passing posture - he is protected.

So unless Atlanta can set-up a LB or a S in the 49ers backfield they are going to have to wait untill Kap actually starts to run with the ball before you can put a hat on him.