• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roster Tidbits

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really understand and like what Payton/Paton did here at the cutdown deadline. Sean Payton has always been known to manipulate his roster in some fashion to keep the guys around he wants to keep on the roster. He really took advantage of the the new PS rules after the covid year. He elected not to expose some of the young guys who probably aren't going to help our team right now but may down the line by not exposing guys like JL Skinner, Alex Forsyth and maybe another CB to waivers. The roster numbers don't align with positions and I think some people will think that is a little weird but I think it is very smart. Instead of exposing the guys mentioned above he took advantage of the roster flexibility by being creative. He cuts a few extra WR's who were not likely to be claimed/signed by anyone. So now you can elevate those guys while protecting the other guys you don't want to expose to waivers. There is a limit on how many times you can elevate a player before you have to sign him to the active roster for him to be eligible to play but with 4 WR's on roster (and Jeudy being hurt) that shouldn't be an issue at least early on. You also have to consider that KJ Hamler is expected to be back at some point. However, I guess my point is the number of WRs on the active roster isn't really important if the guys we were going to play there are on our PS anyway. At some point if things stay the same you may be forced to bring guys up to the active roster due to elevation rules and other possibly trying to pluck off your PS but for now this works. At that point we will have more guys getting hurt anyway and can work the active roster at that point.

I didn't think anyone would claim Forsyth was a little nervous about Skinner. However, the Colts did claim Dolphins 7th rd OT Ryan Hayes today so it is still a risk if you like the guy enough you find a creative way to not expose him.

Other fun things to think about.
-We had a smaller draft class this year but we had 4 undrafted players make the roster. That is awesome. It sorta feels like we gained a few extra draft picks today. :)
- Always fun to think about draft picks who don't turn out vs undrafted guy who do and when you throw them into your draft equation it makes things look better. You can basically throw Ja'Quan McMillian into our draft class last year and it looks better then looking at it with a few guys no longer on the team in Washington and Hicks... If you take McMillian over Hicks of Washington last year it turns out a good pick. Matter of fact hell, McMillian is almost like a 5th undrafted rookie making the team this year because that is basically what he is. He really impressed in the last game last year had the INT taken away from him when it shouldn't have been.

I feel like I had more to say but I forgot. May add more later.

Oh, really happy to have Tyler Badie back on the PS. McLaughlin deserved the active spot but I think Badie is a solid RB to have incase someone goes down.

Now I patiently wait for roster number changes and then I am ready for the season.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone cut me please.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a bit shocked to see the entire draft class kept. Really wish they would have elevated Forsyth to 2nd string just to see how he would handle the jump in competition. I think he has a chance to be a good center for us moving forward, but just seemed like they wanted to see the veterans get more of a shot.

Sounds like Kyle Fuller was upset about not making the roster then being asked about joining the PS. I don't blame him too much considering he had been the 2nd string guy most of the offseason then gets beat out by a guy that hadn't taken too many snaps with that group.

As for the roster construction. I would agree Payton did a good job of protecting talent over traditional roster build. Hopefully the WR room can handle Jeudy missing a couple of games and then him staying healthy.