• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Re-ranking the 2016 recruiting classes.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 1967, 2003 and 2019 don't count?

2016, 2014, 2013, 2002, 1999 weren't bad seasons either.

1977 UMn beat #1 ranked Michigan. 4th largest winning margin over a #1 ranked team by an UR team in cfb history.

What was Minnesotas record that year? Did they go to a bowl? Did they win it?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UMn 7-2 vs Oregon & Oregon St.
UMn 13-10 vs Wash & Wash St
UMn 1-0 vs Montana
UMn 1-0 vs Montana St
UMn 1-0 vs Wyoming

UMn 13-5 vs NW teams minus UW. 10-7 vs UW.

Congrats on the wins against BigSky teams, I guess....

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was Minnesotas record that year? Did they go to a bowl? Did they win it?

1967 we tied for the Big Ten Title, IU hadn't been to the Rose Bowl in a long time so that gave them the tiebreaker. So we didn't go to a bowl game that year. Only one Big Ten team a year was allowed to go to a bowl game.

1977, we did go to a bowl game that year, lost to Maryland 7-17.

Been to 18 bowl games since 77. Won 8 of them, including the last 4 straight.

Beat Arkansas, Oregon and Alabama in 3 straight bowl games from 02 to 04.

Glen Mason started to suck wind as a coach, struggled to win winnable bowl games, including ones he'd built up a huge lead in, which got him fired. Next coach was the dumbest hire in Gopher fb history, maybe Big Ten fb history. Jerry Kill got us back to our winning ways with back to back 8 win seasons, and a bowl game win, interim coach got us to 9 wins and a bowl win but needed to be fired for off field issues. So then in comes PJ Fleck, 2 straight bowl wins, including over Auburn, 11 wins and a top 10 finish in just his 3rd season. Continually improving recruiting. Brand new Practice Facility and Student Village with a Leadership Center looking out over the Mpls Skyline that will give UMn a recruiting advantage few other schools can match.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Pac-12 teams, too, duh. I was just being thorough. Every NW team we've played, we've dominated, basically. My favorite stat was

7-2 vs Oregon Schools. lol

I think everyone has a winning record against Oregon State.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, 3-1 vs Oregon than.

Hopefully you guys get good enough to warrant a home and home...it'll be nice to even up the series.

Oh, who am I kidding...Minnesota isn't scheduling anyone with a pulse anymore.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully you guys get good enough to warrant a home and home...it'll be nice to even up the series.

Not true, they have UNC in a couple years!

:dhd:

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just have to do it in the cfp. I mean, if the pac is ever able to send a team there ever again? Damage from losing to NDSU could last for decades, lol. ;)

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just have to do it in the cfp. I mean, if the pac is ever able to send a team there ever again? Damage from losing to NDSU could last for decades, lol. ;)

Has Minnesota recovered from losing to 3 FCS teams this century?

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you're just making stuff up. Montana has often been quite competitive, as has Boise State (before moving up to FBS). South Dakota St has 2 conference titles in the last 55+ years...if they are who you are touting as a top FCS program you continue to embarrass yourself.

To be fair South Dakota State would have a lot more conference titles if we weren't in the same conference as North Dakota State. In FCS we're the equivalent to Auburn-great team year after year but with the bad luck of having an arch rival that is a juggernaut.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair South Dakota State would have a lot more conference titles if we weren't in the same conference as North Dakota State. In FCS we're the equivalent to Auburn-great team year after year but with the bad luck of having an arch rival that is a juggernaut.

NDSU only won 1 conference title between 1995 and 2010. Where was SDSU?

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting back on track to this discussion, I'd say the rankings are suspect. The re-rank was less about quality of the class and more about how kids who stuck around did. So if you had a good class but the coach left and half of them transferred out, it hurt. If you had a good class but the next two years you had great classes and they were over recruited, it hurt.

Case in point: Oklahoma State at #19. Personally I'd consider this one of our weaker recent classes so I was surprised it ranked so high.

We had:

Justice Hill. Low 3* but multi year starter and now in the league so obvious rating miss.

AJ Green. Multi year starter at CB and is gonna get drafted. Mid 3* so ranking was a little low but probably not far off

Shane Richards and Dequinton Osborne were Jucos who were immediate impact guys but were Juco. Osborne got a NFL camp invite but never caught on. Maliek Kerse was another Juco and was a decent backup.

Devin Harper, Amen O., Dillon Stoner, Rodarous Williams, Ladareen Brown, Calvin Bundage, Tevin Jenkins, Dylan Galloway and Cam Murray are all guys that will be key this year but aside from Williams and maybe Bundage or Stoner (Wes Welker type guy) they aren't going to play at the next level.

We got points for Tyrell Alexander, Larry Williams, and Traylund Webber because they stuck around saw snaps and graduated.

Keondree Wudtee saw snaps at quarterback one game but transferred out. We had another 5 players who I don't recall playing a snap before they went on to something else.

So you have two impact players who are or will get drafted. You have a decent core that is capable of winning 8-9 games as juniors and seniors but aren't gonna be confused for 5* talent. You have a Juco class that honestly was pretty good, but Juco. Some guys stuck around but didn't really play. But for the most part everyone stuck around.

This ranking is less about teams signing impact players and more about signing players that stay and contribute. So the teams that had 10 kids as multi year starters who went in the top half of the draft but had 10 kids who flamed out were ranked lower than classes that had 3 kids who were multi year starters that were drafted but only had a few kids flame out.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NDSU only won 1 conference title between 1995 and 2010. Where was SDSU?

Adjusting from D2 to D1. Most of our success at the FCS level has been in the last decade.

My first year in grad school was their last in D2. I was at Oklahoma State during the Simmons/Miles years and the facilities weren't great. My first SDSU game, it was like 4A Oklahoma high school football. I was so shocked at the difference that it kind of turned me off. No one tailgated and the stadium was what you would expect for a D2 program circa 2002. The fans didn't understand football and it just wasn't what a college football experience should be.

The investment is there now but 20 years ago it wasn't

Last edited:

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO why would you say that 1 FCS loss would doom Oregon for decades, when Minnesota lost 3 times?

When UMn lost to them, they were horrible, so it wasn't all that surprising seeing how good NDSU has been, beating Iowa, KSU as well as Minnesota.

But Oregon is like the standard bearer for the Pac right now. So a loss to NDSU would hurt the whole Pac conf, and neither Iowa, nor KSU have been the same since losing to NDSU. And UMn had to fire that coach.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When UMn lost to them, they were horrible, so it wasn't all that surprising seeing how good NDSU has been, beating Iowa, KSU as well as Minnesota.

But Oregon is like the standard bearer for the Pac right now. So a loss to NDSU would hurt the whole Pac conf, and neither Iowa, nor KSU have been the same since losing to NDSU. And UMn had to fire that coach.

This is true...Oregon is perceived as the leader in the PAC, while Minnesota is still perceived as garbage.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true...Oregon is perceived as the leader in the PAC, while Minnesota is still perceived as garbage.

By who, loser Oregon fans? lol

What/who does Oregon produce? Under Musicians, I was struggling to find anyone that I thought anyone outside of, I don't know, Oregon maybe? would have heard of, and best I could come up with was a former Director of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir? lol

And actors/actresses? Best Oregon can muster is that total loser Winchester on Mash? lol WOW, that's pathetic.