• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Re-Drafting 2009 Draft

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has to be hard for Grizzlies and Wolves fans to look back on

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to look at this in detail, just a couple things standing out: don't like Jennings at #6 at all, he didn't improve at all the first 5 years of his career. It's also too much of a stretch to move Demarre Carroll way up when he took 4-5 years to find a place in the league let alone a niche. He is that good now, it's just too many what-ifs to think he'd pay dividends for the team drafting him.
There also weren't that many busts in that draft compared to others and it was a much deeper draft than 2010 (last draft before lockout season). Flynn and Thabeet were the 2 egregious ones. Thabeet is really the worst ever, a lot of people saw it coming. The icing is Memphis already had a C who later became dPoy. Amazing they must have thought Thabust was best player available.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to look at this in detail, just a couple things standing out: don't like Jennings at #6 at all, he didn't improve at all the first 5 years of his career. It's also too much of a stretch to move Demarre Carroll way up when he took 4-5 years to find a place in the league let alone a niche. He is that good now, it's just too many what-ifs to think he'd pay dividends for the team drafting him.
There also weren't that many busts in that draft compared to others and it was a much deeper draft than 2010 (last draft before lockout season). Flynn and Thabeet were the 2 egregious ones. Thabeet is really the worst ever, a lot of people saw it coming. The icing is Memphis already had a C who later became dPoy. Amazing they must have thought Thabust was best player available.

Jrue Holiday all day over Jennings in a redraft. Holiday is super tough defender in addition to his skills on the offensive side of the ball.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thread about the 2009 draft?

Let it go man. Let. It. Goooooo.

:lol:

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thread about the 2009 draft?

Let it go man. Let. It. Goooooo.

:lol:
You expect people to let it go? On a message board? We still hear about drafting Darko. Hell, we still hear about drafting Bowie, and that was 1984. We still have years to hear about '09.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You expect people to let it go? On a message board? We still hear about drafting Darko. Hell, we still hear about drafting Bowie, and that was 1984. We still have years to hear about '09.

To be fair, drafting Darko was pretty bad. :lol:

Too bad he was a bust because Darko is a great name. Just imagine what promoters could have done with that.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, drafting Darko was pretty bad. :lol:

Too bad he was a bust because Darko is a great name. Just imagine what promoters could have done with that.
I won't delve into my whole argument, but without drafting Darko in the 2003 draft I don't think the Pistons win the 2004 championship. A trade off I'll take.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't delve into my whole argument, but without drafting Darko in the 2003 draft I don't think the Pistons win the 2004 championship. A trade off I'll take.

Not sure how that works, but if it did, that's definitely a good trade off.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how that works, but if it did, that's definitely a good trade off.
Okay, you asked for it.
If they don't take Darko, the Pistons draft Melo. With Melo scoring is up and possibly standings at the trade deadline--they aren't trading for Rasheed. Without the defensive force that the Pistons became with Wallace and Sheed there is no way they are getting to the Finals past Indiana that year (just ask 'Cane, the refs robbed them as it was).
Even if they did pick up Rasheed, Melo is playing in Prince's spot, completely different defense. Tayshaun never gets that famous series swinging block on Reggie's breakaway and the Pistons don't survive the Pacers.

So basically, my theory is that they whiffed on the draft, but it pretty much ended up as a trade of Carmello for Rasheed. For that Pistons team (and pretty much any team), Rasheed was the better player. I think due to his techs and late career falling in love with the three people really underrate how good he was.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, you asked for it.
If they don't take Darko, the Pistons draft Melo. With Melo scoring is up and possibly standings at the trade deadline--they aren't trading for Rasheed. Without the defensive force that the Pistons became with Wallace and Sheed there is no way they are getting to the Finals past Indiana that year (just ask 'Cane, the refs robbed them as it was).
Even if they did pick up Rasheed, Melo is playing in Prince's spot, completely different defense. Tayshaun never gets that famous series swinging block on Reggie's breakaway and the Pistons don't survive the Pacers.

So basically, my theory is that they whiffed on the draft, but it pretty much ended up as a trade of Carmello for Rasheed. For that Pistons team (and pretty much any team), Rasheed was the better player. I think due to his techs and late career falling in love with the three people really underrate how good he was.

Makes sense actually. Having 'Melo makes them a better scoring team, but a worse defensive team. Plus, it was the "team" concept that carried them to that title and as good as 'Melo is, he's never been known as a "team guy."

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
top 5:

1) Harden
2) Curry
3) Griffin
4) Teague
5) Jennings

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dejuan Blair was one of my favorite steals of the draft in the 2nd round.
The Spurs got an effective 3 year starter for about 500K/year.

He was the tough guy, defacto team leader, and suprisingly good offensive rebounder for the Spurs early on.

But he got into Pop's doghouse for whining about his salary & demands to have star minutes.
Pop essentially benched him on purpose and exiled him for being an ass.

Now, he is a permanent better paid cheerleader for Washington.
I would be very happy if he came crawling back more mature and ready to be humble in SA again.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, you asked for it.

Wow, I haven't even viewed this board much lately and I randomly get referenced in a thread I just about grazed over.

You guys beat us fair and square in 2004. I'll finally man up and admit it - I'm 27 now as opposed to 16 then.

2005 was a different story though when you guys manipulated our best player out of the equation...