• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ravens vs Skins Preseason Game #3

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes b/c of his hype and you have to give him the chance to proved himself in regular season play. But if he goes 0-2 he should be benched. Shanny couldn't do it will Jay? Cousins is way too capable not see what he can do with the new weapons that we have.

I dont know man, Kirk is making a case on the field as far as WHO should be in there week one.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note... some one go check on Mitz and make sure he isnt hanging from the rafters please.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Gruden will start Cousins week 1. If he does then we have a coach with balls. I just hope he has the balls to make the change if Rg3 struggles.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't put too much into one game. Griffin is the starter and will start the first game of the year. They have invested too much in him for it to be any other way. Clearly the kid looked confused and unsure of himself.

1st team D looked good and I liked the STs in the first half. It is clear that he is better in a pro-style offense at this point. I can't say there was anything on offense no matter who was the QB tonight to love.

Lets see what Gruden schemes up for Griffin in the 1st game of the year. I don't know how much game planning they can do for Houston since O'Brien is a new HC also.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 was awful tonight and KC looked good . no denying that

however the preseason doesnt mean a whole lot . i knew a clunker game had to come and it did

the 1st team defense did well .

this game , the offense didnt inspire much

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its about reading the field. On his int he had Reed wide open in the middle of the field and he chose to go to Morris who was double covered. cmon. I bring this point up b/c tonight's performance was embarrassing. I am giving the defense an A+ effort tonight.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen some of the scores this weekend you can only take so much away from a preseason game

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on man, we ALL know the answer to this question. Dan is NOT going to allow RG3 to be benched for any reason other than Injury. Im going to hedge a bet here and say the Read Option will be back in play heavily by week five.

He allowed him to be benched for no real reason last year for the final 3 games.

I think if RGIII struggles into the regular season and the defense is playing well but Griff is costing the team wins, Dan would have to let Jay make the switch.

I am cautiously hopeful though that the light switch will turn on week 1 with some game planning and more focus. The Redskins were terrible in the preseason under Gibbs during all their SB wins. Preseason doesn't mean much, but we'll find out in a few weeks how well Griff is ready to make this offense work.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I got to ask though. Based on what we have seen this preseason, SHOULD RG3 even be the starter week one??

Absolutely. Progress has been seen. Griff is better than we saw last nite. And while there are MANY things that need to improve, there are many factors that need to be considered as well. New coach, new scheme, new WRs, Oline still a work in progress... It will take TIME for these guys to gel. Anyone expecting a quick miracle clicking is bound to be disappointed. That's one of the reasons I cautiously thought 6 wins this year was a realistic marker. Could be a more, if things start clicking. But Patience will be needed.

He allowed him to be benched for no real reason last year for the final 3 games.

I think if RGIII struggles into the regular season and the defense is playing well but Griff is costing the team wins, Dan would have to let Jay make the switch.

I am cautiously hopeful though that the light switch will turn on week 1 with some game planning and more focus. The Redskins were terrible in the preseason under Gibbs during all their SB wins. Preseason doesn't mean much, but we'll find out in a few weeks how well Griff is ready to make this offense work.

I agree with this, if Griff is costing the team wins and he can be outperformed by KC or Colt, then the best player should be on the field. But this is a team sport, all factors must be weighed before creating a QB controversy. That is seeds for dysfunction. Patience must be the key word. As long as there is progress, Griff needs to be the man.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NP if the Redskins make a QB switch after several games where RG3 is doing terrible - let's hope that doesn't happen. However - that decision needs to come from Gruden - period. Not sure where you guys are getting this idea that these decisions will be made by Snyder.

I still see no evidence that he has made these type of decisions in the last 3+ years. Feel free to provide your own conspiracy theories, but they are nothing but 100% conjecture & I will choice to not believe any of these without real proof (not some stupid WP, ESPN or Pro Football Talk articles written by clowns).

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I got to ask though. Based on what we have seen this preseason, SHOULD RG3 even be the starter week one??

No offense - just an honest question that I have to ask. Are you hoping for RG3 to do well or fail in the first few regular season games?

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is talking about how Cousin's is better, please he played against 2nd and 3rd stringers in an offense he's ran his whole life.
We all saw what he is the last 3 games of last season.
He's a career back up PERIOD! I was more concerned with our starting offensive line getting pushed around and not giving Griffin much time to pass, it seems like he's always pressured on every pass because he has no time to pass.
Our defense looked good but we'll see.
I wasn't happy with Griffin either but it looks like we have more issues than just our QB situation.
He's the starter and hopefully he gets more comfortable as the season progresses.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is talking about how Cousin's is better, please he played against 2nd and 3rd stringers in an offense he's ran his whole life.
We all saw what he is the last 3 games of last season.
He's a career back up PERIOD! I was more concerned with our starting offensive line getting pushed around and not giving Griffin much time to pass, it seems like he's always pressured on every pass because he has no time to pass.
Our defense looked good but we'll see.
I wasn't happy with Griffin either but it looks like we have more issues than just our QB situation.
He's the starter and hopefully he gets more comfortable as the season progresses.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'm not sure anyone is saying cousins is better than rg3, but he does know the offense better and is more comfortable in the pocket than Robert. Can this change? Yes. Robert with more experience, may very well come around. But he is not there yet. The challenge is that the only way we will know if Robert can progress is by playing him. We may also see that in the offense the introduce in Houston will incorporate more plays that take advantage of what Robert does well, and that is get out into space and cause the defense to chose either to come up to stop Robert from running or sit back and defend.

We should know more by mid season. If Robert is still struggling in the pocket with indecision and missed reads, then he may never make the transition. Right now, Robert is completely confused. He can't even pull the trigger in time on simple out patterns. This is concerning as this is Robert's third year in the league. He is still making basic mistakes that have nothing to do with the offensive scheme.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lets not forget, Snyder eventually ended up firing the coach that benched RG3. And i do believe that not so much the benching itself, but the idea that he might do it again had some stake in Shanahans firing as well.

Absolutely. Progress has been seen. Griff is better than we saw last nite. And while there are MANY things that need to improve, there are many factors that need to be considered as well. New coach, new scheme, new WRs, Oline still a work in progress... It will take TIME for these guys to gel. Anyone expecting a quick miracle clicking is bound to be disappointed. That's one of the reasons I cautiously thought 6 wins this year was a realistic marker. Could be a more, if things start clicking. But Patience will be needed.

I agree progress has been made in some areas, and regressions in others. So the question becomes, when the books balance out is he REALLY better than what we have seen this preseason?? One of the most telling comments i heard last night was when they were talking about the Ravens rookie QB in the 4th. That kid is a QB who happens to be athletic. Griffin right now is an athlete trying to be a QB.

I agree with this, if Griff is costing the team wins and he can be outperformed by KC or Colt, then the best player should be on the field. But this is a team sport, all factors must be weighed before creating a QB controversy. That is seeds for dysfunction. Patience must be the key word. As long as there is progress, Griff needs to be the man.

I agree that if he starts the season, you have to roll with him and take your lumps. But to be honest, if the question is who gives us the best chance of winning right now running THIS offense... well at present Kirk is more capable. For all the progress we want to see in RG3, he is still making some head scratcher decisions. Still struggling in his reads, still struggling with accuracy and follow through. And taking two no contact sacks for loss... protect yourself yes. Sure. But once out of the pocket just throw the damn ball away.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense - just an honest question that I have to ask. Are you hoping for RG3 to do well or fail in the first few regular season games?

Im hoping for the team to win. So Im hoping for him to do well. But what I expect based on what i have seen doesnt balance out with that happening.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets not forget, Snyder eventually ended up firing the coach that benched RG3. And i do believe that not so much the benching itself, but the idea that he might do it again had some stake in Shanahans firing as well.

I agree progress has been made in some areas, and regressions in others. So the question becomes, when the books balance out is he REALLY better than what we have seen this preseason?? One of the most telling comments i heard last night was when they were talking about the Ravens rookie QB in the 4th. That kid is a QB who happens to be athletic. Griffin right now is an athlete trying to be a QB.

I agree that if he starts the season, you have to roll with him and take your lumps. But to be honest, if the question is who gives us the best chance of winning right now running THIS offense... well at present Kirk is more capable. For all the progress we want to see in RG3, he is still making some head scratcher decisions. Still struggling in his reads, still struggling with accuracy and follow through. And taking two no contact sacks for loss... protect yourself yes. Sure. But once out of the pocket just throw the damn ball away.

Not to harp on this, but I posted a few weeks ago about how Robert thought throwing those ball away in practice was a waste of time. I stated that I was concerned about this attitude and was re soundly criticized. Well, here we are a few weeks later and he still doesn't appear to know how, or when, to throw the damn ball away. It's as I said earlier, what you practice is what you perfect. This type of attitude has does as much to hold him back as anything.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NP if the Redskins make a QB switch after several games where RG3 is doing terrible - let's hope that doesn't happen. However - that decision needs to come from Gruden - period. Not sure where you guys are getting this idea that these decisions will be made by Snyder.

I still see no evidence that he has made these type of decisions in the last 3+ years. Feel free to provide your own conspiracy theories, but they are nothing but 100% conjecture & I will choice to not believe any of these without real proof (not some stupid WP, ESPN or Pro Football Talk articles written by clowns).

I think you misread my take on Snyder. Shanny talked openly about a hugely unpopular decision to bench RGIII, and Snyder's response was "That's a coaches decision, I'm not going to get involved". The fact that he fired Shanny after the season probably had more to do with 3-13, and the overall mess, rather than that one decision. So my point was that Danny let Shanny bench RGIII, I see no reason why he would interfere if Gruden felt it was the right move also. I agree that Snyder has done a good job staying out of the day to day stuff since Bruce Allen came to town. I see no reason for that to change with Gruden.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With the overall talent on this offense, the only thing that will stop them from being successful is the QB play. That said, patience is in order, certainly beyond preseason, and reasonably into the regular season to make sure that the RGIII project isn't going to succeed. Probably not 2 games, but hopefully not 16.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you misread my take on Snyder. Shanny talked openly about a hugely unpopular decision to bench RGIII, and Snyder's response was "That's a coaches decision, I'm not going to get involved". The fact that he fired Shanny after the season probably had more to do with 3-13, and the overall mess, rather than that one decision. So my point was that Danny let Shanny bench RGIII, I see no reason why he would interfere if Gruden felt it was the right move also. I agree that Snyder has done a good job staying out of the day to day stuff since Bruce Allen came to town. I see no reason for that to change with Gruden.

Snyder watches the same game that we do. You can bet he has concerns about robert's development. He wants to win. If Robert continues to struggle and it appears he will never become proficient, you can bet he would support pulling him. The price we paid for Robert is over with. As a business man, he knows that sometimes investments fail and the best course is to cut your losses. But we are not there yet.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its impossible to know for sure the exact reason(s), but 3 last place finishes in 4 years and the overall mishandling of RGIII would be all the grounds Snyder needed. One could include his ridiculous benching in the overall mishandling, but in the end, Shanny gave Snyder a whole lotta reasons to pull that plug.