• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ravens sign OT Jake Long...

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does a guy like this, with his extensive injury history, think he's going to get away without an injury waiver? Amazing, isn't it???...

Well I guess that ends that one....If he was confident that he was healthy he would have signed IMO...
He still would have gotten a signing bonus and as long as he could play, his 1.? mil for the yr....
Not like people were beating down the door for him with all these questions looming with his help...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay him no mind, he thinks you are a previous Ravens poster named tgann that he despises...
Welcome to the Hoop !!

You look like a fool pretending that isn't tgann. :L

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess that ends that one....If he was confident that he was healthy he would have signed IMO...
He still would have gotten a signing bonus and as long as he could play, his 1.? mil for the yr....
Not like people were beating down the door for him with all these questions looming with his help...

Couple of things

1) He has made enough money that it is not worth it to suffer another injury just for say another $1 million signing bonus (doubt he would have gotten that as pretty much what the Ravens were wanting was him to sign a non-guaranteed contract to make sure he makes it to the season and then probably have incentives built in that he only gets his money if he can suit up). He has the ability to be patient and wait for the right team and contract before he signs if he ever signs another contract in the NFL.

2) While teams are not beating down his door right now honestly I think it is the best thing for him to just wait and let injuries begin to pile up over the next month and all of a sudden he goes from 0 calls to 10 calls and can have teams begin to bid against each other. Happens every year where some veterans have to wait until teams either see players are not progressing like they hoped or injuries pile up and they have no choice.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of things

1) He has made enough money that it is not worth it to suffer another injury just for say another $1 million signing bonus (doubt he would have gotten that as pretty much what the Ravens were wanting was him to sign a non-guaranteed contract to make sure he makes it to the season and then probably have incentives built in that he only gets his money if he can suit up). He has the ability to be patient and wait for the right team and contract before he signs if he ever signs another contract in the NFL.

2) While teams are not beating down his door right now honestly I think it is the best thing for him to just wait and let injuries begin to pile up over the next month and all of a sudden he goes from 0 calls to 10 calls and can have teams begin to bid against each other. Happens every year where some veterans have to wait until teams either see players are not progressing like they hoped or injuries pile up and they have no choice.

Well obviously the report from DR Andrews was not reassuring to the Ravens about that knee, and what I read was that they wanted him to sign an injury waiver on that knee, so I presume any other injury would have been covered....Long said the Dr report was encouraging to him but the Ravens didn't see it that way...
Remember Atlanta signed him with the same concern and he only played 4 games before it was re injured...
It was too risky a deal without the waiver...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well obviously the report from DR Andrews was not reassuring to the Ravens about that knee, and what I read was that they wanted him to sign an injury waiver on that knee, so I presume any other injury would have been covered....Long said the Dr report was encouraging to him but the Ravens didn't see it that way...
Remember Atlanta signed him with the same concern and he only played 4 games before it was re injured...
It was too risky a deal without the waiver...

OS believe me I understand what the Ravens were doing and it was a smart move by them to try and get that as part of the deal. What I'm saying is that it doesn't make much sense for Long to sign that type of deal as an injury to that knee means much more pain for him and then on top of that lost wages. This is a risk/reward situation for him as well and he weighed the risk and decided it was too much compared to what he would have made. At this point Long has made a ton of money in the NFL so I don't think he is hurting if say he misses out on $1 million. So he can wait and see if the right deal and situation comes along.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OS believe me I understand what the Ravens were doing and it was a smart move by them to try and get that as part of the deal. What I'm saying is that it doesn't make much sense for Long to sign that type of deal as an injury to that knee means much more pain for him and then on top of that lost wages. This is a risk/reward situation for him as well and he weighed the risk and decided it was too much compared to what he would have made. At this point Long has made a ton of money in the NFL so I don't think he is hurting if say he misses out on $1 million. So he can wait and see if the right deal and situation comes along.

That makes sense, but he is 31 yrs old and if he ends up sitting out a yr, he's probably through in the NFL, don't you think ?....So why not take the deal with the signing bonus and trust that they aren't going to put him in position to be on IR, they only need a back up and mentor out of him...He doesn't seem confident himself so why would any team be ?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes sense, but he is 31 yrs old and if he ends up sitting out a yr, he's probably through in the NFL, don't you think ?....So why not take the deal with the signing bonus and trust that they aren't going to put him in position to be on IR, they only need a back up and mentor out of him...He doesn't seem confident himself so why would any team be ?
He has the rest of camp, the pre-season and into the season to land a spot. OL are always needed. No need to rush into a deal like this. Or like cd said he's made his $. Time for a second career.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Couple of things...

1) I have not heard the details of the contract. So while maybe they did offer him a signing bonus/guaranteed money it all depends on how much it was. I mean it could be a measly $100,000 at this point we just don't know. Not worth it to blow out your knee once again for that kind of money.

2) He is a big enough name that really my guess is any kind of serious injury to the LT of most any team will lead to them calling him first either this year or next. 31 really isn't that old for an OT in the NFL these days so I think he can sit out a year and still find teams that want him to come in for a work out just to see what he looks like. I mean at one point he was considered the best LT in the NFL so teams will give him more shots than he probably deserves. Heck years after Jamarcus Russell was out of the NFL he tried to make a comeback and had some teams bring him in for a work out as teams still remember the raw talent the guy had and just hoping that one in a million chance happens that a player has figured it out.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of things...

1) I have not heard the details of the contract. So while maybe they did offer him a signing bonus/guaranteed money it all depends on how much it was. I mean it could be a measly $100,000 at this point we just don't know. Not worth it to blow out your knee once again for that kind of money.

2) He is a big enough name that really my guess is any kind of serious injury to the LT of most any team will lead to them calling him first either this year or next. 31 really isn't that old for an OT in the NFL these days so I think he can sit out a year and still find teams that want him to come in for a work out just to see what he looks like. I mean at one point he was considered the best LT in the NFL so teams will give him more shots than he probably deserves. Heck years after Jamarcus Russell was out of the NFL he tried to make a comeback and had some teams bring him in for a work out as teams still remember the raw talent the guy had and just hoping that one in a million chance happens that a player has figured it out.

You're probably right, It was a 1.7 mil 1 yr deal if I remember correctly....I was a little excited when I heard we signed him figuring he was either ready or near ready to play, then it all went south....Oh well, come on pre season !!

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can anyone tell me what's up with the Raven fans :grouphug:and their rainbow icons? They really, really seem to like those rainbows.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably right, It was a 1.7 mil 1 yr deal if I remember correctly....I was a little excited when I heard we signed him figuring he was either ready or near ready to play, then it all went south....Oh well, come on pre season !!

Like I said just would need to know the details of the contract. Overall value is great but only tells a small fraction of the story when it comes to a contract especially one where they are wanting an injury waiver. I'm guessing there was quite a few incentives built in too that would make it hard for him to fully get his money. Teams will get desperate soon enough when injuries start piling up. It is worth it to him to keep waiting.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said just would need to know the details of the contract. Overall value is great but only tells a small fraction of the story when it comes to a contract especially one where they are wanting an injury waiver. I'm guessing there was quite a few incentives built in too that would make it hard for him to fully get his money. Teams will get desperate soon enough when injuries start piling up. It is worth it to him to keep waiting.

Gotcha........Do you think the Broncos are gonna take a look at Foles or stick with who they have ?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha........Do you think the Broncos are gonna take a look at Foles or stick with who they have ?

If Foles had been released say before OTA's I would say the Broncos would be first in line trying to get him signed and would stand a very good chance of getting him. At this point though if they signed him he would have to spend the next month non-stop just trying to memorize the playbook let alone get enough reps with the 1's to build chemistry and be ready for the start of the season. I just think at this point they stick with what they got. they actually do like Sanchez and think he got a bit of a bad rep and think he fits this offense well. This is an offense similar to what he ran in college that had him a top-6 pick in the draft so we shall see. So far news out of training camp is that Sanchez is doing really well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams gave him a 4yr deal but he evidently tried to come back too soon and re injured the ACL....I don't know why Atlanta signed him while still recovering from the second one though....
Anyway, I'm wondering is he's telling the truth about totally healthy after the long time off last yr.
Makes sense, and he passed his physical and Ozzie got the doc release or he wouldn't be here now....
Stanley is our starter, so he'd just be a back up and mentor, maybe they figure he can stay healthy in that role instead of starting 16 games...

ATL signed him for the same reason BAL signed him...insurance/mentor for the two young OTs. I think he's finished as a starter...can't hurt to have as a mentor....you know the saying, those who can't do...teach.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ATL signed him for the same reason BAL signed him...insurance/mentor for the two young OTs. I think he's finished as a starter...can't hurt to have as a mentor....you know the saying, those who can't do...teach.

Yea, I was sure he was done as a starter, and we got Stanley who has already claimed that spot....I was hoping Long could help speed up his maturity while providing a good back up also....Like cd said, we don't know what the structure of his 1 yr deal was that the Ravens wanted a injury waiver on that knee and he rejected the the whole deal....A little puzzling from both sides IMO....
And yes the mentor side would have been his greatest value, I don't know why they don't just hire JO to come back and be that to the rook....