• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Ravens Post Game!

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For you country

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One lesson is better leverage in the secondary and better gap discipline on the defensive line . You can make up for lack of talent with better technique

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reddick would indeed be a necessary quick fix because he's 30 years old, but anyone who looks at a guy like Higgins and calls his acquisition a quick fix might forget or ignore that he's 25 (January 18, 1999) and likely, barring injury would be here for at least 4-5 years.
So what are you willing to give up for Higgins?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simply wait on Higgins , we are ahead of schedule and look to be 6/3 at the mid point
Why pay picks and salary when you only need to pay salary if you wait ?
We are in great position to have cap space and draft picks ( 4 in the top 100) next year
From the outside looking in it might seem appropriate to wait, but these guys have very short careers and each season gone by counts as one less opportunity to capitalize on their earning capacity and long-term fame. (Championships). I guarantee you that there's not one of them in that locker room looking at this 4-2 start who doesn't hold onto what's possible this year! Adding a key piece here and another there that improves this bunch would be fully welcomed especially after what you, me, and everybody else saw today. Now specifically to your question(s)

"Why pay picks and salary when you only need to pay salary if you wait?"

1. The team is instantly improved by a young proven NFL commodity with major upside.
2. He's locked in, there's no bidding war for his services, nor uncertainty he'll choose to go elsewhere (Like Kansas City, or Tennessee his home state)
3. He can be traded for... for a third-round draft pick. The ROI is far tilted in favor of the team getting this player. (A 3rd round pick could be a bust, or not at his skill level, we know that he's highly skilled and not a bust)
4. A.P. has already stated that he's not afraid to make a move when it makes sense for this team to do so, being afraid to use assets because it's cheaper to go for uncertainty is fully based on anxiety.
5. If I understand your question correctly, the issue isn't the draft pick, it's money because if you use it now or next year you're still losing the draft pick. The question is what are they getting for that pick?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the outside looking in it might seem appropriate to wait, but these guys have very short careers and each season gone by counts as one less opportunity to capitalize on their earning capacity and long-term fame. (Championships). I guarantee you that there's not one of them in that locker room looking at this 4-2 start who doesn't hold onto what's possible this year! Adding a key piece here and another there that improves this bunch would be fully welcomed especially after what you, me, and everybody else saw today. Now specifically to your question(s)

"Why pay picks and salary when you only need to pay salary if you wait?"

1. The team is instantly improved by a young proven NFL commodity with major upside.
2. He's locked in, there's no bidding war for his services, nor uncertainty he'll choose to go elsewhere (Like Kansas City, or Tennessee his home state)
3. He can be traded for... for a third-round draft pick. The ROI is far tilted in favor of the team getting this player. (A 3rd round pick could be a bust, or not at his skill level, we know that he's highly skilled and not a bust)
4. A.P. has already stated that he's not afraid to make a move when it makes sense for this team to do so, being afraid to use assets because it's cheaper to go for uncertainty is fully based on anxiety.
5. If I understand your question correctly, the issue isn't the draft pick, it's money because if you use it now or next year you're still losing the draft pick. The question is what are they getting for that pick?
If you are GM you don’t focus just on this year . And there I isn’t a player in that locker room right now that doesn’t think HE is the answer .

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what are you willing to give up for Higgins?
He can be gotten for a third, easily! The Bengals have two choices, especially if there's no plan to re-sign him and if they lose to the NYGs tonight. They can hold on to him hoping to salvage the season and lose him to free agency next year.
They can trade him knowing that teams will undervalue their offers.
No team will give up a first or second, (if they do they can have him) so the best offer is a third.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can be gotten for a third, easily! The Bengals have two choices, especially if there's no plan to re-sign him and if they lose to the NYGs tonight. They can hold on to him hoping to salvage the season and lose him to free agency next year.
No team will give up a first or second, (if they do they can have him) so the best offer is a third.
for a half year rental

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know his contract status?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are GM you don’t focus just on this year . And there I isn’t a player in that locker room right now that doesn’t think HE is the answer .
If I'm GM I ALSO focus on this year, NO, nada, zip, zero, season is going to be a wasted one on my watch.
AND...
It's also my job to constantly evaluate and make clear that we are a results-oriented entity! If there's a player on my roster who "thinks he's the answer," and he's not, he's headed for a severe blow to that overinflated ego. (I'm pretty sure that Jamin and your guy Stick-figure now know that feeling)

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for a half year rental
???
Nonsense!
He can be tagged again next year, (Bengals won't do that), so the team trading for him gets that option too and if that team is Washington, they'll sign him to a new contract extension.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know his contract status?
pretty sure Sty has posted that, easy to search his posts for it. He goes FA next year unless Lions double franchise tag him off the top of my head