• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking SEC Programs based on Coaching Attractiveness

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think quite the opposite. I'm sure I'll get called a homer, but I think Saban demonstrates why Alabama is the #1 coaching job in the country.

It's true a portion of the fanbase will go stupid, and after Bear died everything in Alabama was about how Bear would have done this and that, and it pretty much haunted the program for more than 20 years, as only Stallings was able to fit the bill to a degree. However, I think a large portion of those in charge have learned lessons from that, and it wouldn't be near as bad as previous. Saban pretty much killed all that.

But more importantly, Saban didn't build Alabama by itself. Saban isn't going to UAB and accomplish the same things. The amount of support a head coach will get at Alabama is unmatched in college football. Saban has built all that, and whoever comes in next will have all that at their disposal.

So if the coach is a pretender, then I can see why they wouldn't want the job - there is no doubt it will be the coach that is the problem. But if it's a good and legit coach, I don't see how there could be another job out there any better.

Legit points.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not someone who watches recruiting religiously but one of the issues Mizzou has had traditionally is that Oklahoma and Nebraska cast out a very large net but because of their location you even see Arkansas, Iowa and even Ohio St being issues for them. Mizzou just doesn't allocate the resources to compete with the other schools.

I think 5 years from now we'll be seeing Mizzou as a basketball school. Missouri generally has more basketball talent. I think the original post has the ranking about right though situationally I see the argument for Mizzou in last place.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee: zero in state talent, has had an opportunity to get a big name coach three times within the past decade: two awful hires, one coach left for greener pastures further disproving it is a top coaching job. If this was a destination location people would flock to this opening when jobs came available, instead Tennessee has been forced to go dumpster diving in it's last two hires.

This coming from LSU who also failed to hire a big name after Les Miles. It seems like it is harder even for the bigger programs to get big-time hires these days.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do not take into account Hamilton's tenure as AD - destruction on a Hurricane Irma/Marie scale. The finances of the athletics department are in better order, now.

The problem is that Hamilton was a stooge for the corrupt Haslem family that run the board at UT. As long as the Haslems are in the picture, we will struggle. They have caused all of this turmoil just like Bill Haslem has screwed the state over with the gas tax and other items.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a coach is going to go where...

1) The salary is good
2) He has a successful program to sell
3) The Athletic Dept is willing to invest
4) He has good facilities in place
5) He has talented recruits outside the front door.

The order of #2-4 are arguable, but as an up and coming coach, taking the next step up the ladder, #'s 1-4 would be a bigger priority than #5.

A coach who has an Athletic Dept willing to invest in recruiting can go get the players he needs using #'s 2 and 4. I can cite many examples of schools with #5 that are abysmal underachievers.

Sure you need 'Jimmy's and Joe's', but you also need to motivate them, put them in the right places on the field, and get them to understand what you're asking them to do.

A great coach with a roster of motivated 3 and 4 stars who execute, can beat an average coach with a roster full of 4 and 5 stars.

Truth hurts doesn't it?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This coming from LSU who also failed to hire a big name after Les Miles. It seems like it is harder even for the bigger programs to get big-time hires these days.
We also have the worst AD in the nation.

mutiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not someone who watches recruiting religiously but one of the issues Mizzou has had traditionally is that Oklahoma and Nebraska cast out a very large net but because of their location you even see Arkansas, Iowa and even Ohio St being issues for them. Mizzou just doesn't allocate the resources to compete with the other schools.

I think 5 years from now we'll be seeing Mizzou as a basketball school. Missouri generally has more basketball talent. I think the original post has the ranking about right though situationally I see the argument for Mizzou in last place.

Without a doubt, completely disagree with this comment. Mizzou moved to the SEC to get better in football and will do so. They won the SEC East twice and were 1 win away from playing for national Title since joining SEC. Was also a win away for playing for national title in 2007. Mizzou has enough talent on this current team to win 8 games, problem right now is pathetic coaching. Odom is way over his head. Mizzou needs a big time coach.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a doubt, completely disagree with this comment. Mizzou moved to the SEC to get better in football and will do so. They won the SEC East twice and were 1 win away from playing for national Title since joining SEC. Was also a win away for playing for national title in 2007. Mizzou has enough talent on this current team to win 8 games, problem right now is pathetic coaching. Odom is way over his head. Mizzou needs a big time coach.

But they won't get a big time coach because it's the least attractive job in the conference.

mutiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they won't get a big time coach because it's the least attractive job in the conference.

BS, Mizzou is a Top 30 job in the country. Being in the SEC East is a big time positive and regardless of what people think....Mizzou can land good recruits in Missouri, Texas and all over the SE. They also get some Illinois kids and others in Midwest.

Improving facilities....produced some pretty good teams since the Mid 2000's including 5 division titles and 2 Top 5 finishes. Some really good NFL players from Mizzou and several top draft picks.

Up and coming coach would love to come to Mizzou. Morons like you don't really matter

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS, Mizzou is a Top 30 job in the country. Being in the SEC East is a big time positive and regardless of what people think....Mizzou can land good recruits in Missouri, Texas and all over the SE. They also get some Illinois kids and others in Midwest.

Improving facilities....produced some pretty good teams since the Mid 2000's including 5 division titles and 2 Top 5 finishes. Some really good NFL players from Mizzou and several top draft picks.

Up and coming coach would love to come to Mizzou. Morons like you don't really matter

Top 30 job? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Inarguably better jobs than Mizzou in no particular order:

1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. Tennessee
4. Alabama
5. Auburn
6. LSU
8. Texas A&M
8. Miami
9. Florida State
10. Georgia Tech
11. Clemson
12. North Carolina
13. Virginia Tech
14. Louisville
15. Pitt
16. Penn State
17. Ohio State
18. Michigan
19. Michigan State
20. Wisconsin
21. Nebraska
22. Notre Dame
23. Texas
24. TCU
25. Oklahoma
26. Oklahoma State
27. West Virginia
28. Arizona State
29. USC
30. UCLA
31. Cal
32. Stanford
33. Oregon
34. Washington

And there's at least a dozen others I'd rank ahead of Mizzou.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nearly every team in the SEC can say that. Coaching is everything in CFB and the problem for programs like Missouri and Tennessee, we don't have it now.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Bama - follow the money
2. UGA
3. LSU
3. UF

The rest of the list is more-or-less OK, though certainly TENN's star has been falling for a decade. It may sound crazy, and it's definitely risky but I'd offer Peyton Manning the job if/when they fire Bitch Jones. Though I doubt he'd take it.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 30 job? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Inarguably better jobs than Mizzou in no particular order:

1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. Tennessee
4. Alabama
5. Auburn
6. LSU
8. Texas A&M
8. Miami
9. Florida State
10. Georgia Tech
11. Clemson
12. North Carolina
13. Virginia Tech
14. Louisville
15. Pitt
16. Penn State
17. Ohio State
18. Michigan
19. Michigan State
20. Wisconsin
21. Nebraska
22. Notre Dame
23. Texas
24. TCU
25. Oklahoma
26. Oklahoma State
27. West Virginia
28. Arizona State
29. USC
30. UCLA
31. Cal
32. Stanford
33. Oregon
34. Washington

And there's at least a dozen others I'd rank ahead of Mizzou.
To be fair I wouldn't want to have to pick between Mizzou and WV. Probably just stay a cordinator somewhere.

Also Patterson is doing an incredible job but TCU is a tough job to succeed at.

I would put the Military academies ahead of Mizzou and Hawaii (that has to be a sweet gig).

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair I wouldn't want to have to pick between Mizzou and WV. Probably just stay a cordinator somewhere.

Also Patterson is doing an incredible job but TCU is a tough job to succeed at.

I would put the Military academies ahead of Mizzou and Hawaii (that has to be a sweet gig).

I'd take WVU all day long over Mizzou. Close to Ohio, western PA and DC. At Mizzou any recruits worth a damn have to come 1000 miles away.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit disappointed this thread wasn't a bunch of SEC fans arguing about whose coach is the hottest.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The in-state talent in Tennessee has increased over the years. Just did a quick look at Rivals, and the state of Tennessee has 1 5-star and 11 4-star recruits. Louisiana has 2 5-stars and 13 4-star recruits. Not really a tremendous difference. And Tennessee produces much more talent than the state of Arkansas (only 2 4-star recruits atm).

Just curious, where is that talent? Tennessee talent in Memphis isn’t any different than going to Louisville, KY. Nashville is a transient area, so a lot of those kids probably have zero ties to UT