• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking SEC Programs based on Coaching Attractiveness

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that was true then why did A&M get Tyrell Dodson from the state or maybe you meant that the state doesn't produce the 4 or 5 star talent like Georgia does?
Let me rephrase this. The talent the state does produce flees the state. Last year they managed to keep a whopping 4 players out of their top 15. Tennessee is a complete reconstructive project when you can't manage to reel in more than 4 of your top 15 with virtually no in state competition recruiting (yes Memphis and Vandy but seriously if those schools are beating you out for talent you suck).

Also yes Georgia, Louisiana, Florida all produce significantly more talent. Hell LSU has a high school right next to the baseball stadium that produces 4/5 star talent yearly. Tennessee is having a decent influx of talent but clearly to these 18 year old kids, Tennessee is not a destination school just like it isn't for coaches.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year they managed to keep a whopping 4 players out of their top 15.
Well, so did LSU. :heh:

Tennessee is having a decent influx of talent but clearly to these 18 year old kids, Tennessee is not a destination school just like it isn't for coaches.
Tennessee has sucked for the majority of these HS kids lives, so no it hasn't been as attractive lately, but that doesn't mean it'll never be again. Tennessee isn't one of the top 10 winningest programs for no reason. Butch Jones signed two top 5 recruiting classes, and that was when we were really bad.

Tennessee is coming off of back-to-back 9-win seasons, and actually has decent talent on the roster. Rebuilding wouldn't be nothing compared to what it was, when Tennessee was going 5-7 every year under Dooley. I'm sure coaches would view it as a much more attractive position now. Jones isn't the guy to get us back to competing for Championships, but he did get us out of the shithole we were in.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're talking destination jobs, really, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Bama and arguably Auburn and A&M are the only ones in the conference. It ain't like it used to be. When you have to import the majority of your talent, it's a lot harder to win.

VTgator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida POTENTIALLY is a great job, but the poaching from not only FSU and Miami, but top schools like Alabama and Clemson, neutralizes much of that talent advantage.

The fans are ravenous, believing that Spurrier (at Florida) and Meyer are the minimum standard, as if they grow on trees...

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems legit.

I'd swap LSU and GA bc I'd give the edge to GA in in-state talent (both football and biddies), funding, and Athens is a lot nicer of a place than Baton Rouge, but that's just me.

Agree to disagree. I like Baton Rouge better...might be because of the food though.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you rank Bama lower because of Saban. How attractive can that job be when you have his shoes to fill?

Bill Curry would agree with you...He won our first SEC title since Bear but he was 0-3 against Auburn and somebody put a brick through his window after the last one...and that was 9 years after Bear died.

Whoever takes this over after Saban needs to get combat pay.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upload_2017-10-20_9-23-59.png

Bielema is ranked waaayy too low on your list.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to disagree. I like Baton Rouge better...might be because of the food though.
I love Baton Rouge, and seriously would move back if I could. Moved away after I graduated, with that being said it sucks and is a hole... but the campus has a charm about it. The rest of Baton Rouge does not.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn's issue isn't the fan base it's the AD department and too many booster cooks in the kitchen. The new president needs to clean house of the AD department and the new AD needs to create better boundaries to access.

Missouri is in last place right now because no one in the country other than Baylor has a worse situation going on.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed about Aggy. This is why I've always said that Aggy and UCLA are the 2 most disappointing programs in NCAA history. Both have access to the same resources as their big brothers have, yet both have failed on epic levels.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Baton Rouge, and seriously would move back if I could. Moved away after I graduated, with that being said it sucks and is a hole... but the campus has a charm about it. The rest of Baton Rouge does not.

I spent 4 years there 1999-2002, and another 10 traveling to and from. I lived in Prairieville, so not really BR, but I spent a fair amount in and around for work. I do miss the food, some of my favorite places are still there.

It does have some shitty parts, but so does every place.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Curry would agree with you...He won our first SEC title since Bear but he was 0-3 against Auburn and somebody put a brick through his window after the last one...and that was 9 years after Bear died.

Whoever takes this over after Saban needs to get combat pay.

FWIW, the brick story is fake.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, the brick story is fake.

Learn something new every day. I was on campus in '91 everybody told it like it was gospel...fake news, lol. Not the first or last time something will be embellished about an Alabama Coach.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you rank Bama lower because of Saban. How attractive can that job be when you have his shoes to fill?

I think quite the opposite. I'm sure I'll get called a homer, but I think Saban demonstrates why Alabama is the #1 coaching job in the country.

It's true a portion of the fanbase will go stupid, and after Bear died everything in Alabama was about how Bear would have done this and that, and it pretty much haunted the program for more than 20 years, as only Stallings was able to fit the bill to a degree. However, I think a large portion of those in charge have learned lessons from that, and it wouldn't be near as bad as previous. Saban pretty much killed all that.

But more importantly, Saban didn't build Alabama by itself. Saban isn't going to UAB and accomplish the same things. The amount of support a head coach will get at Alabama is unmatched in college football. Saban has built all that, and whoever comes in next will have all that at their disposal.

So if the coach is a pretender, then I can see why they wouldn't want the job - there is no doubt it will be the coach that is the problem. But if it's a good and legit coach, I don't see how there could be another job out there any better.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Learn something new every day. I was on campus in '91 everybody told it like it was gospel...fake news, lol. Not the first or last time something will be embellished about an Alabama Coach.

Yeah I also thought it was true for years and only recently read that it wasn't true. One of them things I guess.

Even with the losses to Auburn, I was pretty sad when he left. I thought we were on the verge of greatness.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I also thought it was true for years and only recently read that it wasn't true. One of them things I guess.

Next you'll be telling me that Bear didn't wrassle a Bear. Or that Saban doesn't actually walk on water.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next you'll be telling me that Bear didn't wrassle a Bear. Or that Saban doesn't actually walk on water.

Saban doesn't walk on water, water runs under him.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee: zero in state talent, has had an opportunity to get a big name coach three times within the past decade: two awful hires, one coach left for greener pastures further disproving it is a top coaching job. If this was a destination location people would flock to this opening when jobs came available, instead Tennessee has been forced to go dumpster diving in it's last two hires.

You do not take into account Hamilton's tenure as AD - destruction on a Hurricane Irma/Marie scale. The finances of the athletics department are in better order, now.