• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers welcome COL to the Grill for a rare M-W set to close out August: 8/30-9/1

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m starting to get Tim Bogar flashbacks. Remember we could’ve picked Bregman if we just lost another game or 2

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m starting to get Tim Bogar flashbacks. Remember we could’ve picked Bregman if we just lost another game or 2
What do you suggest we do?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ibanez is primarily an infielder. He can play OF in a pinch. He played there once in his long minor league career and once so far up here. When they brought him up, Woody mentioned him playing 1B, 2B, and 3B. Willie is an OF. Therefore, to me, they are not interchangeable.

The Calhoun decision will be made primarily based on who else they have to play LF. The ultimate Ibanez decision will be based on who else they have to play those IF positions, or who else they have on the bench to play those positions if they determine he is a utility player.

I doubt either of them is starting here in 2024. In fact, they both may be traded by then.
Both would be at best bench players so interchangeable is a good term for both

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thankfully. We are done with the give-up Rockies.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I realize why people are saying this, but there are so many moving parts involved. There is just as much of a chance that we end up with a better pick (performance-wise) because of "winning another game or 2".

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both would be at best bench players so interchangeable is a good term for both
Not at all. Heim is most likely a bench player at best and he is not interchangeable with them either.

You don't just keep your best 4 bench players no matter which position they play.

Besides, neither of them are designated as bench players now so they certainly aren't interchangeable now and wouldn't be of they were both bench players.

If we try to trade them, interested teams would be interested in the two of them for different reasons.

Last edited:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize why people are saying this, but there are so many moving parts involved. There is just as much of a chance that we end up with a better pick (performance-wise) because of "winning another game or 2".

sorry for freaking out. This winning streak is coming at the wrong time. We needed to kill off another 15 games or so before balling out. It’s still highly unlikely, but Miami, Chicago Cubs, and Washington nationals can still catch us.

I want to say top 5 or bust, but after looking at the standings if we let someone other than Pittsburgh pass us then it’s a huge buzzkill.

there’s only so many “can’t miss” guys in the mlb draft and I just want us the opportunity to get one of them.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all. Heim is most likely a bench player at best and he is not interchangeable with them either.
But Heim is a backup catcher and probably plays 50-60 games behind the plate. Your analogies don’t work. Heim is a useable bench player who will get significant time on the field, Ibanez is also a useable bench player who can play IF and OF while Calhoun is virtually limited to Dh

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, I hope we don't have to depend on luck. I hope next summer the Rangers have the right idea of how to rank the top 4 guys.

I am hoping for the best pick possible just in case there are clear cut differences. Then if there aren't clear cut differences then nothing is lost from us having a better pick.

Something could be gained by us having the top pick though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Heim is a backup catcher and probably plays 50-60 games behind the plate. Your analogies don’t work. Heim is a useable bench player who will get significant time on the field, Ibanez is also a useable bench player who can play IF and OF while Calhoun is virtually limited to Dh
There is really no analogy needed to see that they have completely different roles at this time. That is clear as day unless someone just wants to be purposely contrary.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is really no analogy needed to see that they have completely different roles at this time. That is clear as day unless someone just wants to be purposely contrary.
Okay. So in the order of importance for bench position for these 3 it would be:

1. Heim
2.Ibanez

?. calhoun

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, I hope we don't have to depend on luck. I hope next summer the Rangers have the right idea of how to rank the top 4 guys.

I am hoping for the best pick possible just in case there are clear cut differences. Then if there aren't clear cut differences then nothing is lost from us having a better pick.

Something could be gained by us having the top pick though.

Baseball is nothing but luck.

We can't affect how the other teams play, we can't predict who gets picked ahead of our pick, and we can't predict how our pick performs compared to others. The Rangers could make every effort to throw the rest of the season, end up with the #1 pick, pick the absolute correct player, and that player could end up a bust.

I would like the best possible pick as well, but our current players are still playing to win games this season. Plus, I've always thought it was ridiculous to give Bogar credit for the uptick in player performances at the end of that season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. So in the order of importance for bench position for these 3 it would be:

1. Heim
2.Ibanez

?. calhoun
Neither are bench players at present.

Right now Calhoun is going to be less important because he isn't capable of playing.

It will be awhile before they can all be bench players. Who knows how anyone will rank them.

It wasn't about relative importance anyway. It is about whether each of them would make the team.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither are bench players at present.

Right now Calhoun is going to be less important because he isn't capable of playing.

It will be awhile before they can all be bench players. Who knows how anyone will rank them.

It wasn't about relative importance anyway. It is about whether each of them would make the team.
Okay so of the 3 Calhoun has the less chance making the team in my book

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe our bullpen will blow it today.

I can understand that if we ball out and Hearn, taveras, and peters identify themselves as pieces of the future. I’d just like this to not be some kind fluke where we get no development and worse draft positioning.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball is nothing but luck.

We can't affect how the other teams play, we can't predict who gets picked ahead of our pick, and we can't predict how our pick performs compared to others. The Rangers could make every effort to throw the rest of the season, end up with the #1 pick, pick the absolute correct player, and that player could end up a bust.

I would like the best possible pick as well, but our current players are still playing to win games this season. Plus, I've always thought it was ridiculous to give Bogar credit for the uptick in player performances at the end of that season.
I know they will play their best. Me wanting a better pick has nothing to do with the kind of effort I what them to give. I would love to have the worst possible record though.

To me it was more not having Wash, and less about Bogar.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they will play their best. Me wanting a better pick has nothing to do with the kind of effort I what them to give. I would love to have the worst possible record though.

To me it was more not having Wash, and less about Bogar.

Fair enough. I'd be thrilled with a top 3 pick, personally.

Same here for the Wash thing.