• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers to clip the Cardinals in St. Louis 6/17-6/19

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I'll kick my TV in with Fox' first flashback. Should take this series. Hopefully.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TEXAS AT ST. LOUIS
Time: 08:15 P.M. ESTVenue: Busch Stadium
One reason the St. Louis Cardinals last year became the majors' first 100-win team since 2011 was their dominance at Busch Stadium, where they went 55-26 and swept eight series.

This year, St. Louis is 15-18 when playing at home, one reason why it trails the Chicago Cubs by 9 1/2 games in the National League Central. And if this weekend is any indication, the Cardinals may not make up much ground or keep pace.

That's because the Texas Rangers are heading to town to start a weekend series Friday night. At 42-25, Texas owns a 6 1/2-game lead in the American League West over Seattle and is 18-15 on the road.

With a 5-1 victory Thursday in Oakland, the Rangers took three of four from the Athletics and improved to 5-2 on a 10-game road trip which started with a two-of-three win against Seattle.

Texas clubbed 11 homers in the series at Oakland, one of the majors' best pitchers' parks. The outburst included four Wednesday night, when the Rangers wiped out a 5-0 lead against A's ace Sonny Gray and posted a 7-5 win.

"It was a huge win for us," Texas manager Jeff Banister told texas.rangers.com. "It did not look good but it was another chapter in the book these guys have been writing this year."

The Rangers are deep and balanced, enabling them to overcome off years from Prince Fielder and Mitch Moreland, who are hitting .197 and .232, respectively. They've gotten a huge bounceback year from Ian Desmond, the former Washington shortstop who signed as an outfielder and has merely batted a team-high .310 with 10 homers and 44 RBIs.

The 30-year old Desmond, who was seen by many as a cautionary tale after turning down a huge multi-year contract offer from the Nationals early last year and then settling for a one-year deal with Texas in late February, could play in next month's All-Star Game.

Ace left-hander Cole Hamels (6-1, 3.14) starts the series opener for Texas. Hamels is coming off a 6-4 victory Sunday over Seattle, allowing only four hits and a run in seven innings with two walks and five strikeouts. He's 3-4 in 12 career starts against St. Louis.

Michael Wacha (2-6, 4.91) looks for his first win since April 23 when he takes the mound for the Cardinals. Wacha at least has a good start to build off, holding Pittsburgh to two runs off three hits and three walks with five strikeouts on June 10 in St. Louis' 9-3, 12-inning victory.

After posting a season-high five-game winning streak on a road trip through NL Central rivals Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, the Cardinals resumed their home field disadvantage with 5-2 and 4-1 losses to Houston in a two-game interleague set.

"We just couldn't put enough pressure on them," St. Louis manager Mike Matheny said.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It must suck to be a Cardinals fan this year. Good god.... That division is brutal. I'm so grateful the rangers are in the AL west.

First of all, I understand that it's June and its " too early" for this topic, but I just wanted to get people's opinions on a hypothetical Cubs vs. Rangers World Series. How do you guys think we stack up head to head against them?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It must suck to be a Cardinals fan this year. Good god.... That division is brutal. I'm so grateful the rangers are in the AL west.

First of all, I understand that it's June and its " too early" for this topic, but I just wanted to get people's opinions on a hypothetical Cubs vs. Rangers World Series. How do you guys think we stack up head to head against them?

Don't get ahead of yourself, just enjoy the Rangers playing good baseball right now. The horse goes in front of the cart. Too many variables from now until nut cutting time, but the Cubs can sure play great baseball, this year.

Now on the topic of how we stack up vs the Cubs team this year. I think we have the better all around team. They have Arrieta who is pitching great, but the rest of their starters success will determine how far they go this year. They can surely slug with Riz and Bryant, but our offense is just as good or better IMO. I think the back end of our bullpen is better and we are better defensively, but then I am biased. Fun to speculate, but as you said "it's too early".

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get ahead of yourself, just enjoy the Rangers playing good baseball right now. The horse goes in front of the cart. Too many variables from now until nut cutting time, but the Cubs can sure play great baseball, this year.

Now on the topic of how we stack up vs the Cubs team this year. I think we have the better all around team. They have Arrieta who is pitching great, but the rest of their starters success will determine how far they go this year. They can surely slug with Riz and Bryant, but our offense is just as good or better IMO. I think the back end of our bullpen is better and we are better defensively, but then I am biased. Fun to speculate, but as you said "it's too early".

I made sure to mention the " too early" part to ward off some snide remarks ( hopefully)

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made sure to mention the " too early" part to ward off some snide remarks ( hopefully)

You will get snide remarks based generally on your posts being mostly critical, but keep coming back, it is a free board

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't even think that far ahead yet. Plus the Cubs will have some competition too with that nasty starting staff the Mets have and the all around team the Nationals put out on the field.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the odds we will hear about the infamous 6th game tonight/series ?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

100% chance we will. The question is how many times? I may just listen to the game, I know they won't talk about it.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if all the games will just be local telecasts but if they are I hope our folks have enough sense not to bring it up.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if all the games will just be local telecasts but if they are I hope our folks have enough sense not to bring it up.

Are Busby and TAG doing the announcing? ha ha

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Rangers broadcast crew better not fucking bring it up. Can't trust them tho, after busbys bullshit yesterday.
( for the record, I still believe those hits would have happened, but it's still fun to not say anything for fear of "jinxing" it)

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Buck needs a good dose of physical therapy under Romeo and hospice care at the Crawler's place.:L
Good luck Joe

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
POST OF THE 2016 SEASON

I did not realize how much sports fans over the fruited plain don't like the guy. Google "Joe Buck memes." There is a pot load of them better than the one I posted. LOL some are really good.