• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers take the K show to the South Side - TEX vs. CWS April 23-25

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Starting pitchers tend to get injured when thrust into bullpen roles. This JD-led Rangers team has done that for a long time now and ot has resulted in injuries.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also realize he could be a reasonably priced teacher too
They have four veterans on the staff. The only one they can teach is Dunning. You don't need 4 teachers and one student. Those numbers need to be reversed at some point.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Starting pitchers tend to get injured when thrust into bullpen roles. This JD-led Rangers team has done that for a long time now and ot has resulted in injuries.
From an ESPN article in June 2012.

“It’s just tough to keep going back and forth,” Feldman said. “That’s the main thing. Moving back and forth, it’s how you hurt your arm.

"It’s how you get hurt. I’m not happy.”

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have four veterans on the staff. The only one they can teach is Dunning. You don't need 4 teachers and one student. Those numbers need to be reversed at some point.
Most all of what they have in the way of pitchers need teachers or to get off the DL...

And the reason all the vets are here is to instill some confidence and positivity into the locker room, teach and attract fans...

If this team finishes over .500 I will be surprised but the average fan will be happy if they show some improvement over last year and will look forward to next year...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most all of what they have in the way of pitchers need teachers or to get off the DL...

And the reason all the vets are here is to instill some confidence and positivity into the locker room, teach and attract fans...

If this team finishes over .500 I will be surprised but the average fan will be happy if they show some improvement over last year and will look forward to next year...
Most of the veteran starters are only here to bridge the gap. They are on short term contracts so they will be easier to move when it comes time to trade them, and so that they won't be here, blocking the way, when the youngsters are ready. If any of them produce well, then the best thing would be to get something in return. In the meantime, if they have any wisdom to part, then all the better.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And the last time he pitched any amount of innings was 2017 and he's never been a full time starter has always switched back and forth from SP to RP and back...

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna say this is the worst series this team has played so far this season.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which has been for how long now, 10 years or better???

That's one hell of a gap...
Thinking the same. Our minor league system has not developed many players or we would not rely on so many FA. Would rather hold on to pitchers and trade players like Gallo before he loses more trade value. Most of the time he would give back more than most pitchers. I believe we will wait a long time on young pitchers to develop in our current system.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking the same. Our minor league system has not developed many players or we would not rely on so many FA. Would rather hold on to pitchers and trade players like Gallo before he loses more trade value. Most of the time he would give back more than most pitchers. I believe we will wait a long time on young pitchers to develop in our current system.
I would really love to know what is wrong with the Rangers system when it comes to pitching?

You have got to wonder why the Rangers always have soooo many hurt pitchers constantly? (My guess is too much emphasis on high 90s to 100 mph fastballs and using the slider too much)? :noidea:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would really love to know what is wrong with the Rangers system when it comes to pitching?

You have got to wonder why the Rangers always have soooo many hurt pitchers constantly? (My guess is too much emphasis on high 90s to 100 mph fastballs and using the slider too much)? :noidea:
The pitchers like Kofax, Ford and pitchers of that time did not seem to have so many injuries and if I recall correctly there were not nearly co many relievers. Best guess would be they did not have so many pitches in their arsenal:scratch:

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pitchers like Kofax, Ford and pitchers of that time did not seem to have so many injuries and if I recall correctly there were not nearly co many relievers. Best guess would be they did not have so many pitches in their arsenal:scratch:
When I was a kid you had fastball, curve, change, couple of guys threw a knuckler, couple threw a screwball, Don Gullett threw a forkball and then you had the good ole spitter :D

Not many guys really threw much over 90, it was more about location and variety until the Ryan Express came along and that changed things.

Arihara has 7 or 8 pitches if I’ve heard correctly and so does Darvish...

Last edited:

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the normal arm can pitch 100 MPH without breaking down at some point.
Starting pitching who pitch at 92 somehow can max out at 98 in relief.
We were not so dependent upon relief back in the day. The gas,e evolved but the arms can not talke this evolvement

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the last time he pitched any amount of innings was 2017 and he's never been a full time starter has always switched back and forth from SP to RP and back...
Not one pitcher had a normal year last year. Not the first or last of the injuries.
Also there is no A Or AA pitcher getting normal MLB SP innings.
JD is a convenient scapegoat

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which has been for how long now, 10 years or better???

That's one hell of a gap...
If you want to complain about how long it has been since we have been better that is fine and is a good subject to discuss. It is not necessarily connected to trading a veteran pitcher who displays some trade value though. Tjey are two distinct subjects of conversation.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he seems to have done a very good job of putting himself in that position.
But the rest I suggest is ignored .....so Codys injury is JDs fault ...surely you jest

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the rest I suggest is ignored .....so Codys injury is JDs fault ...surely you jest
No one would ever know what exactly causes any given injury. We all realize that. There are practices that this team has done over the last several years that can be called into question. Switching pitchers from starting to relief and back, shutting down newly drafted HS pitchers, and conditioning starters to pitch shorter outings in the minors and now, to a lesser extent, in the majors, have all been questionable decisions to me. I imagine other practices that we do not know about might be suspect as well.

That combined with us having a lot of pitching injuries leads me to think management can be blamed to some extent for injuries in general to pitchers.

Cody should have been at the alternate site remaining stretched out as a starter. Maybe he would have come up injured anyway, who knows. When they make decisions like putting him and other starters in the pen, then they open themselves up to criticism when an injury does occur. When they make questionable decisions and a lot of injuries occur, then they are going to get just criticism. That will be the case even when it is impossible to draw a straight line from one point to the other.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to complain about how long it has been since we have been better that is fine and is a good subject to discuss.

I was referring to the pitching situation not the team has been stinking off and on for different reasons situation like some folks are hung up on, BTA both are related...

It is not necessarily connected to trading a veteran pitcher who displays some trade value though. They are two distinct subjects of conversation.

If you're not getting anything other than players who have injury histories and will never play successfully over the minor league level in those trades then that is an issue too, one that has been all too prevalent the last 10 years. JD is the first one folks blame because he has been in charge (and maybe rightly so) but the issue is deeper than that. It extends to ownership, people he inherited, people he hired, all who advise him (if he listens that is) without being a fly on the wall it's tough to tell just exactly what the issue(s) is/are :noidea:

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one would ever know what exactly causes any given injury. We all realize that. There are practices that this team has done over the last several years that can be called into question. Switching pitchers from starting to relief and back, shutting down newly drafted HS pitchers, and conditioning starters to pitch shorter outings in the minors and now, to a lesser extent, in the majors, have all been questionable decisions to me. I imagine other practices that we do not know about might be suspect as well.
If you do some snooping around you will find article that recommend just that instead of the way it used to be, all claiming arms are being way overused in today's game and that it starts in LL...

Just saying...