• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers take on last place Mariners

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty interesting stat, and I'm surprised to see who's in 4th place.

Player, pitches taken
(pitches taken since the beginning of the 2013 season).

1. Carpenter, 4,023 pitches
2. Trout, 3,950
3. Carlos Santana, 3,567
4. Elvis Andrus, 3,441
5. Brian Dozier, 3,413

correct....Elvis deserves blame for everything now that Washington, Ryan and Murphy no longer reside in Texas.
Onward through the fog

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis does take a lot of called strikes.
No bigger fan of Elvis than I his first couple of seasons but his act is wearing thin. I really think his biggest problem is his perception of status and the value he seems to put on it within the club house. His game started to suffer and certainly NOT progress about the time he saw himself as Beltre's side kick. I had hopes an offseason attitude adjustment and better comment to his craft would emerge.....it's not showing itself thus far and now he seems to see himself as OR's mentor with this arm on his head thing showing itself on the field. PLAY F-IN BASEBALL and forget the social club. Be a ball player first. This message is not being sent and it's a real shame since this team made the baseball and investment decision going into 2014. I think it's easier to count the somewhat positive things I've seen thus far in 2015 with regards to the everyday players. Our starting catcher has been what he's needed to be. That's about it.

It is what it is and I didn't expect 75 wins this season. The crime has been the decisions this front office has made over the last three seasons....health has been a part, no question but evaluations made seems the bigger problem. There are more than a view who's game hasn't developed. The evaluations seem poor and decisions worse. Somebody better figure this thing out real quick or it will be like the early 70's attending a game this summer.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't matter if the manager were Banister, Bogar, or John McGraw. The talent level on this team is nowhere near what it was 5 years ago, and once Yu and Holland went down, the odds of this team winning more than 75 became slim

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't matter if the manager were Banister, Bogar, or John McGraw. The talent level on this team is nowhere near what it was 5 years ago, and once Yu and Holland went down, the odds of this team winning more than 75 became slim
This is exactly how I feel. They were an outside shot at 82+ wins before those guys went down. Losing both makes the season a total draw for me. Front office blew it with the Choo contract, and I wish Nelly had stayed on that QO now instead of Texas signing Choo. Nelly took less money in the end to leave so he could "play the outfield". Blows man

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly how I feel. They were an outside shot at 82+ wins before those guys went down. Losing both makes the season a total draw for me. Front office blew it with the Choo contract, and I wish Nelly had stayed on that QO now instead of Texas signing Choo. Nelly took less money in the end to leave so he could "play the outfield". Blows man
He DHed 89 times last year. I think even if would have came here he could have expected to play the OF at least 60 times and it wouldn't have been much different. As it turned out he would have probably played more OF here with all of our injuries than he did in Baltimore last year.

I would have at least liked to have seen us offer him something after his price went down.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as usual....lets blame anyone and everyone not named John Daniels.

blind in one eye and just can't see outta the other. Least you boys remain consistent.

allow me to be the first to place the good ole face palm to this post

:L

I won't face palm you on that thought.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He DHed 89 times last year. I think even if would have came here he could have expected to play the OF at least 60 times and it wouldn't have been much different. As it turned out he would have probably played more OF here with all of our injuries than he did in Baltimore last year.

I would have at least liked to have seen us offer him something after his price went down.

There's strong evidence they did.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While that may be true that was a win turned into a loss by poor decision making.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No bigger fan of Elvis than I his first couple of seasons but his act is wearing thin. I really think his biggest problem is his perception of status and the value he seems to put on it within the club house. His game started to suffer and certainly NOT progress about the time he saw himself as Beltre's side kick. I had hopes an offseason attitude adjustment and better comment to his craft would emerge.....it's not showing itself thus far and now he seems to see himself as OR's mentor with this arm on his head thing showing itself on the field. PLAY F-IN BASEBALL and forget the social club. Be a ball player first. This message is not being sent and it's a real shame since this team made the baseball and investment decision going into 2014. I think it's easier to count the somewhat positive things I've seen thus far in 2015 with regards to the everyday players. Our starting catcher has been what he's needed to be. That's about it.

It is what it is and I didn't expect 75 wins this season. The crime has been the decisions this front office has made over the last three seasons....health has been a part, no question but evaluations made seems the bigger problem. There are more than a view who's game hasn't developed. The evaluations seem poor and decisions worse. Somebody better figure this thing out real quick or it will be like the early 70's attending a game this summer.

I think you make some valid points there.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L[/QUOTE]

According to Norm Hitzges, we offered him a 2 year deal. Quote from Norm, "The Rangers offered Cruz the TWO best deals he was offered, two seasons ago. (1) The qualifying offer, and (2) the two year offer."

Not sure if this is accurate b/c I haven't heard this quoted so strongly before.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks wastin....opinions do vary and some can't accept that.

group effort for sure and JD sits front and center when this team struggles to win 75 games again

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While that may be true that was a win turned into a loss by poor decision making.

MOST of us here are cheering for Banister to succeed, for all the obvious reasons. But your statement rings WAY TOO TRUE and my disappointment in our fundamental play has been well stated here.

And now he shows us his X & O decision making wasn't solid.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
correct....Elvis deserves blame for everything now that Washington, Ryan and Murphy no longer reside in Texas.
Onward through the fog
I think taking pitches is way overrated. I hate it when a batter watches a fastball right down the middle simply because it is the first pitch.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Choo over Nellie....wow. I'd like to have had a separate angle on the ball that tied it at 10, it sure looked like he could have gotten a glove on it with the right angle and a layout, at least thats what it looked like to me.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw no evidence that they did back when it was going on. None. I don't understand it why some just won't accept the fact that we blew it with Cruz.

Since we made the decision not to go after him once his price went down I have seen more revisionist history regarding this subject than just about any other Ranger related subject.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Norm Hitzges, we offered him a 2 year deal. Quote from Norm, "The Rangers offered Cruz the TWO best deals he was offered, two seasons ago. (1) The qualifying offer, and (2) the two year offer."

Not sure if this is accurate b/c I haven't heard this quoted so strongly before.

That's right.

I saw no evidence that they did back when it was going on. None. I don't understand it why some just won't accept the fact that we blew it with Cruz.

Since we made the decision not to go after him once his price went down I have seen more revisionist history regarding this subject than just about any other Ranger related subject.

Not true. ^^^^

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Choo over Nellie....wow. I'd like to have had a separate angle on the ball that tied it at 10, it sure looked like he could have gotten a glove on it with the right angle and a layout, at least thats what it looked like to me.

This has been discussed to the point of exhaustion. Nelly should've never been out there to begin with since he was hurt, and leaving Chavez on the bench, and he damn sure should've been put in better position. The weak attempt at jumping was likely due to the abdominal tear he suffered earlier in that game.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right.

Not true. ^^^^
Haha.

I am not going to get into this same argument again because I have had this argument over a dozen times in the past year and a half on other boards. I have never been given any proof or anything close to proof once. The kind of "proof" you just gave is a good example of what is usually given.

There is a segment of Ranger fans who will never admit that JD can make critical mistakes. They aren't bad fans and some are really knowledgeable fans. They just let their JD Fan Club card get in the way of objectivity. I have always called these folks the JD apologists. Their thinking goes something like this. "If JD had done that then that means he would have made a mistake. Therefore JD couldn't have done that." Or, "If JD didn't do that then that means it shouldn't have been done or he tried his best to get it done and forces outside of him prevented him from doing so." When it comes down to it you just cannot present any kind of argument to those folks. I have been drawn into trying to do so on a number of occasions, but it is really futile.

I give JD all the credit for building what we had here in 2010 and 2011. He did make some terrible moves before that and he had made both very good and bad moves since. I just don't see why admitting that is so hard.