• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers take on last place Mariners

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, there is the answer. They never went back to him after his price went down to offer him a one year deal. The Winter Meetings was the last time they tried. My observations on not going after him was based on them not going after him when his price went down and when it made no sense at all not to try and sign him.

No one could have predicted Cruz would have the 2014 (and so far, 2015) that he's had. Obviously the 1-year deal he signed with Baltimore was an absolute fucking steal. But there were zero indicators that Cruz would have performed at that level, so I can't judge JD for "missing" that one.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one could have predicted Cruz would have the 2014 (and so far, 2015) that he's had. Obviously the 1-year deal he signed with Baltimore was an absolute fucking steal. But there were zero indicators that Cruz would have performed at that level, so I can't judge JD for "missing" that one.
It would have been a great deal for us if Cruz had hit 25-30 HRs. I have to strongly disagree. I think it was a huge mistake. His track record showed he was a very good hitter.

In hindsight he would have not made any difference to the team last year if he had come in here and hit 55 HRs though. If we are going to discuss JD mistakes there are others that are a lot more damaging to the team long term.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So there's your answer. He was offered a multi year deal and turned it down. So go ahead and take your "bullshit" rating back PDay. Thanks for playing.
You have selective reading skills at best. What part of giving away his number while he is still on the street do you not understand?

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His track record showed he was a very good hitter.

He tied his career high with 159 games played (only done once before, and over 30 games higher than his next highest total).

Set a new career high in the follow categories: plate appearances, at-bats, runs, hits, home runs, RBI, walks, and total bases.

Statistically speaking, Cruz's 2014 blew his track record out of the fucking water.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This PR from the Hickory Crawdads:

HICKORY, NC - Hickory Crawdads outfielder Luke Tendler has been named the South Atlantic League's Player of the Week for April 9th -19th, following his dominating 9-game stretch that helped lead the 'Dads to a league-best 6-3 record.

Tendler, 23, burst out of the gates to start the 2015 season, with the Wilmington, NC native hitting .375 while leading the SAL in home runs (3), extra base hits (8), slugging percentage (.813), runs (9), and total bases (26). Tendler also ranks among the league leaders in OPS (2nd - 1.224) and doubles (2nd - 5).

Selected by the Texas Rangers in the 29th round of the 2014 Draft out of North Carolina A&T, the highlight of the extended week for Tendler came on April 12th when he went 2-3 with a 2-run homer in the bottom of the 8th that gave the Crawdads a 6-4 win over the Hagerstown Suns.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have selective reading skills at best. What part of giving away his number while he is still on the street do you not understand?

I said nothing about giving away his number. Neither did you.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He tied his career high with 159 games played (only done once before, and over 30 games higher than his next highest total).

Set a new career high in the follow categories: plate appearances, at-bats, runs, hits, home runs, RBI, walks, and total bases.

Statistically speaking, Cruz's 2014 blew his track record out of the fucking water.
You seem to have ignored the part where I said it would have been a great deal for us if Cruz had come in here and hit 25-30 HRs. His season may have blown his track record out of the water, but what difference does that make. I was willing to sign him based on the track record. I didn't wait to see what he did last year and then decide it was a mistake to not go after him. None of what I have said about it being a mistake has anything to do with his numbers he put up in 2014.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have been a great deal for us if Cruz had hit 25-30 HRs. I have to strongly disagree. I think it was a huge mistake. His track record showed he was a very good hitter.

In hindsight he would have not made any difference to the team last year if he had come in here and hit 55 HRs though. If we are going to discuss JD mistakes there are others that are a lot more damaging to the team long term.

I agree. That Choo deal looks real bad right now.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to have ignored the part where I said it would have been a great deal for us if Cruz had come in here and hit 25-30 HRs. His season may have blown his track record out of the water, but what difference does that make. I was willing to sign him based on the track record. I didn't wait to see what he did last year and then decide it was a mistake to not go after him. None of what I have said about it being a mistake has anything to do with his numbers he put up in 2014.

You seem to have missed the part where Cruz wasn't willing to sign with us.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. That Choo deal looks real bad right now.
Exactly. The Cruz deal was only going to be for one year and the one year was a complete disaster for us so it is not that important any longer. Now if we would have had great health last year and lacked one bat to put us over the top then that bad decision would have looked extra bad in hindsight.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to have missed the part where Cruz wasn't willing to sign with us.
He wasn't willing to sign with us when we offered him a deal at the Winter meetings. We never offered him a deal after his price went down when it made the most sense to offer him a deal. That is what I said at the beginning of this whole conversation on page 36 of this thread. I said I would have liked for us to have offered him a deal once his price went down.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't help you dude...rating stays
besides....it's you style to throw fits when your opinion is challenged. Rating posts is your tool of expression, which also fits you well. Onward!

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, there is the answer. They never went back to him after his price went down to offer him a one year deal. The Winter Meetings was the last time they tried. My observations on not going after him was based on them not going after him when his price went down and when it made no sense at all not to try and sign him.

Which leads us back to our original disagreement. We don't know to what extent the FO engaged Cruz at that point. There are a lot of reports out that we did make another offer that beat what Baltimore offered.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't help you dude...rating stays
besides....it's you style to throw fits when your opinion is challenged. Rating posts is your tool of expression, which also fits you well. Onward!

Don't even address the post... Typical.

I don't care if it stays. Just calling you on the BS you are so well known for here. It's amazing how much smoother things run around here when you're not in here shitting all over the board.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which leads us back to our original disagreement. We don't know to what extent the FO engaged Cruz at that point. There are a lot of reports out that we did make another offer that beat what Baltimore offered.
All I know is the quote I gave mentioned JD's version of what happened. JD gave that version during the season last year so it was well after everything took place. JD mentioned offering him something at the Winter Meetings and didn't mention any other later offers. That tells me the WM offer was the last.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz wanted nothing more than to play in Texas, but that offer was a low ball offer early in the FA period. Cruz drops is demands and Texas gives his number to another FA. That stings regardless if it's a junior high team or the pro's and certainly a deal breaker for Nelson. It was clear that JD valued a player that works the count over one that hits the ball outta the park.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't even address the post... Typical.

I don't care if it stays. Just calling you on the BS you are so well known for here. It's amazing how much smoother things run around here when you're not in here shitting all over the board.

never really cared what you and a few others thought Romeo. I've understood the lay of the land around here for sometime. Just look at anybody's post that goes against the sewing circle.

Tap dance alone...

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is the quote I gave mentioned JD's version of what happened. JD gave that version during the season last year so it was well after everything took place. JD mentioned offering him something at the Winter Meetings and didn't mention any other later offers. That tells me the WM offer was the last.

True, another written offer was not extended and I don't think anyone is suggesting there was one submitted. I still believe JD's word that he stayed in contact with Cruz until he signed Choo at least. I could definitely see them not having communicated much with Cruz after giving Choo number 17.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is kind of odd to me that all everyone wants to discuss is Nelson Cruz. I posted some very good news about an upper level prospect who has seemingly turned a corner and about another one in the lower levels who has come out of the gate smoking and yet no one commented on it. Nick Williams and possibly even Luke Tendler will be much more important to this team in the future than Cruz would have been for one year here. Williams could be here as early as late this year with the way he has changed his approach.

I certainly don't mind disagreements and even arguments, but sometimes it seems like we like to argue about the Rangers more than we like to discuss them and their future.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never really cared what you and a few others thought Romeo. I've understood the lay of the land around here for sometime. Just look at anybody's post that goes against the sewing circle.

Tap dance alone...

Like I said, it's amazing how smooth things are around here when you're no pulling your bull shit and shitting all over the board. You can not care that you're an ass hole, but it doesn't mean that you're not an asshole.