• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers take on last place Mariners

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone remember when I said I'd be happy to get 250 innings between Martinez/Detwiler? I heard nothing but, "I'm expecting 160 innings outta both" type crap. Martinez may get 170. But if Ross gets 80, the earth is flat.

Now it seems some of ya want Detwiler off the team, if at least not banished to the BP.

I had no idea Detwiler could possibly suck this bad

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lessons learned: 1.Dedtwiler is not ready to start 2. Scheppers is not ready to relieve 3. Feliz is good for one inning
4. Bannister has a lot to learn in his rookie year

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
HAHAHA sorry...I just cannot take that post seriously.

Yeah he probably shouldn't have let Tanner go that long, but Tanner needed to be tested.

Texas isn't contending this year, so weighing decisions Banny makes as a rookie coach like he's up for audition every game is pretty silly. The fact is we don't know how the guy is gonna turn out as a manager anymore than we would Bogar at this point. Just chill and let him have a full season under his belt before we go off making proclamations like that.

Well if Tanner needed to be tested, Bogar already was and he passed the test with a worse lineup. He was thought to be a shoe-in for the job by most.

What most likely happened is that Banny interviewed better and that's how he got the job just like how most people get the job. So now we are stuck with him (for now) because he and JD shot the shit better over lunch.

Here we go with Wash II and on-the-job training.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let's maybe give Banister more than a baker's dozen before we start writing him off.

Ill give him a pass for this one (though it was a major fuck-up). He lets a guy walk the bases loaded while he clearly cant find the strike zone again and sends the closer out for close to 50 pitches and I don't know that he's not in the same category as Wash at that point.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill give him a pass for this one (though it was a major fuck-up). He lets a guy walk the bases loaded while he clearly cant find the strike zone again and sends the closer out for close to 50 pitches and I don't know that he's not in the same category as Wash at that point.
This is a one time misque. Wash was a constant thing over several seasons.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree - Banister has made wrong moves (and failed to make more seemingly sensible ones). He should definitely be held accountable for mistakes. I just think it's way too early to start saying the FO hired the wrong guy.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree - Banister has made wrong moves (and failed to make more seemingly sensible ones). He should definitely be held accountable for mistakes. I just think it's way too early to start saying the FO hired the wrong guy.

Absolutely. I'm not horribly inspired so far though.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Worst dugout thinking since 'Game 6'

1. Kela should have opened the 8th against Morrison, Smith and Jackson with Feliz to take on Cano, Cruz and Seager whenever they come up.

2. Once Scheppers was allowed to load the bases ... with Cano coming up Feliz should have come in to get Cano and Cruz ... then Seager whenever he comes up. Feliz is possible five out Save ... but if he begins to sag ... Kela is still available to finish the 9th.

3. Why was DeShields not PRing for Corporan with 2 outs in top of the 9th? Does DeShields score on Martin's 2b?

The loss is on Banister but IMO he didn't get a lot of help from his coaching staff.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am always willing to give a guy a break but when you have a manager who was 3 times manager of the year in the minors for 3 different teams and seems to pull all the right strings of a team that was tanking at the end of the year but you choose a guy just because he talks a good game then I am afraid we made the wrong choice. I do not care if he emulates Clint Hurdle he is not Clint Hurdle. I am not saying fire the guy but I was shocked to see Bogar not get the job. Banister said that we were keeping DeShields on the roster for speed in certain situations with one of them to PR and he has missed the opportunity a couple of times. He was fortunate in game 1 to get out of the 8th inning alive with Tanner but this is not Tanner 2013. He has been horrid since and needs more time. Why are we rushing the guy? It will be interesting to see if Detwiler is demoted to the pen, if Kela pitches the 7th and Tolleson the 8th and if DeShields is ever used or is just sitting around taking up a roster spot.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst dugout thinking since 'Game 6'

1. Kela should have opened the 8th against Morrison, Smith and Jackson with Feliz to take on Cano, Cruz and Seager whenever they come up.

2. Once Scheppers was allowed to load the bases ... with Cano coming up Feliz should have come in to get Cano and Cruz ... then Seager whenever he comes up. Feliz is possible five out Save ... but if he begins to sag ... Kela is still available to finish the 9th.

3. Why was DeShields not PRing for Corporan with 2 outs in top of the 9th? Does DeShields score on Martin's 2b?

The loss is on Banister but IMO he didn't get a lot of help from his coaching staff.

I definitely agree on Kela starting the 8th. The guy was put into a pressure packed situation.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got a 70 win team and people are focusing on Banister. I know you fellas are frustrated but might wanna just turn down the heat and look forward to some call ups later down the line. This is gonna be another wasted year. Not much else to do but ride it out and and enjoy the small things. When I sound like the least knee jerk person in a forum something must be afoot gentlemen.

He had a bad day at the office. Not gonna pretend he didn't.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just happened to stop by and see the last few pages. I got a good chuckle out of it all. People have been disagreeing with me for a very long time about the Bogar / Bannister thing. Bogar deserved the job after how he managed the team last year in my opinion. He took a bunch of kids and " whatever we had left" then made the rest of the season enjoyable to watch. The team responded to him well, we beat good teams, and avoided 100 losses. As for Detwiler, yea there's a reason I've never heard of him before......... The guy sucks.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got a 70 win team and people are focusing on Banister. I know you fellas are frustrated but might wanna just turn down the heat and look forward to some call ups later down the line. This is gonna be another wasted year. Not much else to do but ride it out and and enjoy the small things. When I sound like the least knee jerk person in a forum something must be afoot gentlemen.

He had a bad day at the office. Not gonna pretend he didn't.

You are right we are frustrated. But Tanner is Kirkman 2.0 right now. Kela, Mendez, Tolleson all come before him. He has to be on a tight rope. I have the same dread when he comes into a game as I did with Kirkman. Scheppers has no idea where his pitches are going. I honestly believe he did not hit a guy in Frisco in retaliation and thought that when it happened. That is how bad his control is. We set Kela and Feliz up for failure yesterday. You could just see the wheels coming off. As a fan I do not want a philosophy that says lets just stick anyone out there 10-11 games into the season because we are not very good. I want to put the guys who have earned a spot on the team and DeShields and Tanner have not at this point in time. If we want to see what we got then Kela/Mendez should have pitched the 7th, Tolleson the 8th and then Feliz. They have earned that right. Not responding in a hateful manner so wanted to make sure you understand that because when typing something a person can put any spin on how it is being stated but do not like what I see because I saw the same idiotic robotic coaching yesterday in the 8th inning as I have had to see for the past few years.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just happened to stop by and see the last few pages. I got a good chuckle out of it all. People have been disagreeing with me for a very long time about the Bogar / Bannister thing. Bogar deserved the job after how he managed the team last year in my opinion. He took a bunch of kids and " whatever we had left" then made the rest of the season enjoyable to watch. The team responded to him well, we beat good teams, and avoided 100 losses. As for Detwiler, yea there's a reason I've never heard of him before......... The guy sucks.

Can agree on Bogar but on your last point, if you have never heard of Detwiler than you really do not know baseball.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

(1) Thanks a lot for "stopping by." How about doing that, about once a month.
(2) How many games did Bogar manage here? Yet b/c we were "relatively successful" against teams who were coasting, he should have been hired full time, and yet Bannister, based on a handful of games (similar to Bogar's resume) he should be canned.

Make's perfect sense to me.

Now, I'll admit, I'm disappointed - greatly so - in what I've seen so far. But the finish line for both Bogar's and Banister's careers is way down the road.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty interesting stat, and I'm surprised to see who's in 4th place.

Player, pitches taken
(pitches taken since the beginning of the 2013 season).

1. Carpenter, 4,023 pitches
2. Trout, 3,950
3. Carlos Santana, 3,567
4. Elvis Andrus, 3,441
5. Brian Dozier, 3,413

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as usual....lets blame anyone and everyone not named John Daniels.

blind in one eye and just can't see outta the other. Least you boys remain consistent.

allow me to be the first to place the good ole face palm to this post

:L