• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers/Stros: 4/19-4/21

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if there had been a gentleman's agreement between JD and Desmond that he would be given the opportunity to play everyday if he signed here.

I also wonder how much Banister feels obligated to play Desmond almost everyday because JD said that.
I would hope not because now you are hoping for a personal victory at the expense of the team. Always reminds me when Wash said Ben Broussard or whoever it was is our 1st baseman and ST had barely started. But after hitting around 150 for about a month into the season that all changed.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would find this stunning beyond stunning if a GM made a commitment to a player - any player - regarding his playing time. But for the sake of discussion, why on earth would this happen with Ian f__king Desmond?

This would run counter to most positive opinions I have of both JD and Banister.
I have never got the fascination with a guy who hit .233 last year and has seen his average plummet for a couple of years in a row now.

That statement by JD when we signed Desmond was puzzling to me back when he made it.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"He is our left fielder, and he will be all year," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said

First, I wonder why JD made such a definitive statement to begin with? Second, I honestly have more faith in him to think, b/c he said something, it's now itched-in-stone and he's dug his heals in.

Am I giving JD too much slack? But something is going on, that's for sure.
Not sure if you are or not but most of us have a tendency to not say anything negative about some of the moves he makes like it is untouchable ground. I think what JD has done a very good in the last few years but sometimes your best options are in-house. But anytime a move is made it is a roll of the dice. There are some you can feel right away will be a positive for the team but others like with Desmond you have no idea and just hope the guy does his job. The problem I am having with Ian is that he looks so out of sync with his swing like he has no clue what he is doing at the plate to go along with his defensive deficiencies. If he would just start recognizing the pitch and laying off of bad pitches and making better contact even if it is an out then I would not be so up in arms in him playing so much. But so far he looks clueless in every single game.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope not because now you are hoping for a personal victory at the expense of the team. Always reminds me when Wash said Ben Broussard or whoever it was is our 1st baseman and ST had barely started. But after hitting around 150 for about a month into the season that all changed.

I'm not going to go back the 3 or so days ago and find your post regarding this situation. However, you nailed it with some stats like "Rua is 6 years younger, has 4 more years of very affordable team control, etc"...Great post!

But here is a big difference Broussard and Desmond, back then, it made no matter to anyone who played, we sucked. Today and this season, we can go a long, long way, and this playing a guy who is struggling makes less and less sense every game to me.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem I am having with Ian is that he looks so out of sync with his swing like he has no clue what he is doing at the plate to go along with his defensive deficiencies. If he would just start recognizing the pitch and laying off of bad pitches and making better contact even if it is an out then I would not be so up in arms in him playing so much. But so far he looks clueless in every single game.

I think this is the rub with all of us. No one wants the guy cut, or executed.

But Rua has earned some time, so give it to him, and give it to him "somewhere." Meaning, the first two options for PT is 1st and LF. Like or hate MM (shut-up Crawler), it's pretty obvious to most of us where his ab should be attributed.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desmond just had a lot of time off. He should play better tonight. Honestly? Can't be much worse.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desmond just had a lot of time off. He should play better tonight. Honestly? Can't be much worse.

Since he's hitting .109 with ONE RBI it's pretty hard to not be "optimistic" toward him "playing better."

After all, he's a half step from the bottom, and 3 furlongs from the top.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the FT Worth Star.......

Desmond also started slowly a year ago with the Nationals. But not at first. Through 12 games in 2015 he was hitting .298 with four extra-base hits and four RBIs. He didn’t start to struggle until May. Banister is hoping a day off helps him reset at the plate.

Ryan Rua started in left field for Desmond. He earned the Opening Day starting job there in 2015 before an injury derailed his rookie season. It was Rua’s fifth start and second in left. In his previous two starts (Monday-Tuesday at Seattle), he went a combined 5 for 8. Still, he’s adjusting to infrequent at-bats.

“It’s tough, but that’s the situation I’m in and I’m willing to accept that and go out and perform when I’m called,” Rua said.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Desmond also started slowly a year ago with the Nationals. But not at first. Through 12 games in 2015 he was hitting .298 with four extra-base hits and four RBIs. He didn’t start to struggle until May. Banister is hoping a day off helps him reset at the plate.

Ryan Rua started in left field for Desmond. He earned the Opening Day starting job there in 2015 before an injury derailed his rookie season. It was Rua’s fifth start and second in left. In his previous two starts (Monday-Tuesday at Seattle), he went a combined 5 for 8. Still, he’s adjusting to infrequent at-bats.

“It’s tough, but that’s the situation I’m in and I’m willing to accept that and go out and perform when I’m called,” Rua said.
He will probably recover at some point and hit well for awhile. The problem is that he has showed over the last couple of years or so that he can struggle for long periods. He may do very well for a few weeks and then it will be a big struggle again for awhile.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only Ranger hat I have I think I got in the Toby Harrah era. The old blue top, with a red bill. Still wear it to games. ha ha

Guess the color scheme superstition never got to me.
HaHa. Just after our conversation I come across this tweet to Jamey Newberg.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to go back the 3 or so days ago and find your post regarding this situation. However, you nailed it with some stats like "Rua is 6 years younger, has 4 more years of very affordable team control, etc"...Great post!

But here is a big difference Broussard and Desmond, back then, it made no matter to anyone who played, we sucked. Today and this season, we can go a long, long way, and this playing a guy who is struggling makes less and less sense every game to me.
You may be right on the difference on Broussard and Desmond but my main issue with that is proclaiming the job is somebodies and they did nothing to earn it. I can understand the Rangers giving Desmond a chance and he accepted the LF role very well but his playing time compared to his production has been extreme.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good on Rua.