• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers snack on some M's & M's at the Grill: SEA @ TEX 6/3-5

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to keep in mind about Hearn is that he has only started 22 games in the big leagues.

He had three bad outings in mid and late April that has made his ERA look bad. Since the beginning of May he has an ERA of 4.39.

Eventually, either Leiter, Winn, Ragans or Alexy will get his spot, but if we have to run Hearn out there for another two or three months in the mean time, that won't be a terrible thing. It won't be optimal, but we have had several worse pitchers in our rotation over the last several years.

There is also a chance we make a trade at the end of next month for a young pitcher that could slot into his spot. The trade scenario I suggested a day or two ago or any number of other trade scenarios could give us a replacement for Taylor.
was that the one where you would trade everyone you don't like for that pitcher

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Rangers are going to bring Howard back up based on a good start in AAA
I dont either unless they are satisfied with results and have clarity on his role ahead
I am certainly in no hurry

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to keep in mind about Hearn is that he has only started 22 games in the big leagues.

He had three bad outings in mid and late April that has made his ERA look bad. Since the beginning of May he has an ERA of 4.39.

Eventually, either Leiter, Winn, Ragans or Alexy will get his spot, but if we have to run Hearn out there for another two or three months in the mean time, that won't be a terrible thing. It won't be optimal, but we have had several worse pitchers in our rotation over the last several years.

There is also a chance we make a trade at the end of next month for a young pitcher that could slot into his spot. The trade scenario I suggested a day or two ago or any number of other trade scenarios could give us a replacement for Taylor.

Very good points. The thing is, we don't need Hearn to be a starter. I have no issues with continuing to see what he's got as one, but my guess is that come 2023, they'll move him into the BP.

My predicted rotation to start 2023 is Perez, Gray, Dunning, Otto, and a FA signing.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in no hurry to send Hearn down. Just would be ready to give him help for the big hitting teams. This is still a transition year so let him get his fill of SP.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in no hurry to send Hearn down. Just would be ready to give him help for the big hitting teams. This is still a transition year so let him get his fill of SP.

Don't think anyone wants to send him down. He can get MLB hitters out. He just can't do it for 5/6 innings at a time.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think anyone wants to send him down. He can get MLB hitters out. He just can't do it for 5/6 innings at a time.
personally, i wish he would listen and watch what Perez is doing and copy

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally speaking, I don't want Howard to ever throw another pitch for the Rangers.
I am sure many said the same thing about Perez

Obviously a lot of changes are needed but ok

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yeah one decent outing against AAA batters does not float my boat one iota. And really using only 2 pitches. Not a recipe for a SP

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good points. The thing is, we don't need Hearn to be a starter. I have no issues with continuing to see what he's got as one, but my guess is that come 2023, they'll move him into the BP.

My predicted rotation to start 2023 is Perez, Gray, Dunning, Otto, and a FA signing.
What caliber of pitcher do you think they target in free agency?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol. Now we can point to either Nelson Cruz as a hitter or Perez as a pitcher as a reason not to give up on someone. I know I have used Cruz a lot myself in that capacity.

On the other end of the spectrum we have Michael Kirkman and maybe Odor as a reason not to keep giving chance after chance after chance. Although, I hate lumping in Odor with Kirkman. I am not sure Rougie deserves that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol. Someone replied that he has really only driven in one teammate, because it was Donaldson both times.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DTC

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol. Now we can point to either Nelson Cruz as a hitter or Perez as a pitcher as a reason not to give up on someone. I know I have used Cruz a lot myself in that capacity.

On the other end of the spectrum we have Michael Kirkman and maybe Odor as a reason not to keep giving chance after chance after chance. Although, I hate lumping in Odor with Kirkman. I am not sure Rougie deserves that.

We can use Perez or Cruz as examples of "not giving up on a guy," but it's important to also mention that they are the extreme far end of the spectrum. They both accomplished things that are basically unheard of in the history of the sport.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What caliber of pitcher do you think they target in free agency?

Before last offseason, I would have said a B level starter. Someone with a ceiling of a middle rotation guy.

Now? I think they'll legitimately pursue the best names out there.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can use Perez or Cruz as examples of "not giving up on a guy," but it's important to also mention that they are the extreme far end of the spectrum. They both accomplished things that are basically unheard of in the history of the sport.
That is kinda what I was getting at. I have certainly been guilty of overusing Cruz as an example.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before last offseason, I would have said a B level starter. Someone with a ceiling of a middle rotation guy.

Now? I think they'll legitimately pursue the best names out there.
Would Kershaw on a 2 or 3 year deal count? Or, are you looking to lock up an ace longterm?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure where Chris Davis fits in this as well

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A pitcher of stature. Lol.
I think Jamey had a trade in mind and not a free agent. When the whole conversation started it was due to him mentioning making a trade for a really good young pitcher with a couple of years of control left. He never responded to me saying we could simply go after a free agent. Lol