• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers seek revenge against Angels 04/15-04/17

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
27 LOB, what the hell?

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Minnesota and Toronto and Martin Perez is actually starting. He was coming out of the pen. I am not a Perez fan but what I thought was interesting is that the announcers were saying that the Twins pitching coach tweaked Perez mechanics and increased his velocity. Just as they said that he busted a 96 mph pitch on the inside corner to strike the guy out. I say that because one of the things I do not understand that Banny did was get rid of Maddux.
Wasn't that a JD decision?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't that a JD decision?
Not sure but can't imagine that is one made without Banny's consent and if Banny really wanted him he would still be here.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure but can't imagine that is one made without Banny's consent and if Banny really wanted him he would still be here.
As I recall, JD wasn't happy that Maddux lingered too long before agreeing to an extension.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I recall, JD wasn't happy that Maddux lingered too long before agreeing to an extension.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/155913922-mike-maddux-will-not-return-to-rangers.amp.html

"Mike Maddux was also given permission to consider other options. As he did so and time passed, the Rangers apparently did the same, and they came to the decision that they would look for a new pitching coach.

"There was a period of time where Mike was looking around, and we did the same," general manager Jon Daniels said. "As we talked internally, we did an internal review of what was best for the organization going forward. As we talked it through, we felt like there was an opportunity to get better with a new voice in that role."'

That was a terrible decision by all involved and especially by the ultimate decision maker.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/155913922-mike-maddux-will-not-return-to-rangers.amp.html

"Mike Maddux was also given permission to consider other options. As he did so and time passed, the Rangers apparently did the same, and they came to the decision that they would look for a new pitching coach.

"There was a period of time where Mike was looking around, and we did the same," general manager Jon Daniels said. "As we talked internally, we did an internal review of what was best for the organization going forward. As we talked it through, we felt like there was an opportunity to get better with a new voice in that role."'

That was a terrible decision by all involved and especially by the ultimate decision maker.

The gospel truth. :nod:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay. Very good. Thank you.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw 10 by each team.

HITTERSABRHRBIHRBBSOLOBAVGOBPSLGOPSFPTSS. Choo DH51311104.333.439.5631.0019.0D. Santana 2B52200005.500.500.8331.3338.0E. Andrus SS51110024.397.415.6351.0503.0N. Mazara RF32120101.244.358.444.8037.0J. Gallo LF52321013.217.357.587.94410.5A. Cabrera 3B52221013.216.268.549.8179.5L. Forsythe 1B30000213.219.342.313.6551.5I. Kiner-Falefa C41120113.269.406.308.7144.5D. DeShields CF31110201.209.370.302.6737.0Total38121411376. 27-----

The 27 there, is the box score from CBS that is showing the Rangers had 27 left on base. I am not sure that is even possible?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I thought it was a Maddux decision
I guess we might not ever know with a certainty, but JD sure seemed to put a spin on it like they decided to go in a different direction. I guess it could be like the jilted boyfriend who claims he broke up with her. lol

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we might not ever know with a certainty, but JD sure seemed to put a spin on it like they decided to go in a different direction. I guess it could be like the jilted boyfriend who claims he broke up with her. lol

JD is very smart and I still think we’re lucky to have him, but I have noticed a flaw with him that has hurt the team.

He seems to make some decisions based on emotion.

Not bringing Maddux back? Brocail was awful and 10x worse.

Not bringing Cruz back? Most ranger fans were disappointed and thought it was a mistake. Cruz went on to tear up the league the next 3 or 4 years.

Not making an effort to keep Hamilton after he said “no hometown discount”.

Trading Kinsler after he refused to change positions. This one was a good trade at the time, until we found out Fielder was damaged goods. It still really hurt the team tho.

JD is still way better than anything we had before him, but I wish I knew what he was thinking when he made the decisions above.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD is very smart and I still think we’re lucky to have him, but I have noticed a flaw with him that has hurt the team.

Not bringing Cruz back? Most ranger fans were disappointed and thought it was a mistake. Cruz went on to tear up the league the next 3 or 4 years.

Trading Kinsler after he refused to change positions. This one was a good trade at the time, until we found out Fielder was damaged goods. It still really hurt the team tho.

JD is still way better than anything we had before him, but I wish I knew what he was thinking when he made the decisions above.

I thought Maddux had made it pretty clear that he wasn't going to return at some point, or didn't wan to be here anymore, I don't think that's an emotional response by JD, if thats the case

If he didn't want to be here, then there's no point in having him here if isn't going to put 100%, Brocail wasn't good but better than a guy just mailing it in,

I might be wrong but thats how, based on what I read at various points in the process, i thought it went down

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Maddux had made it pretty clear that he wasn't going to return at some point, or didn't wan to be here anymore, I don't think that's an emotional response by JD, if thats the case

If he didn't want to be here, then there's no point in having him here if isn't going to put 100%, Brocail wasn't good but better than a guy just mailing it in,

I might be wrong but thats how, based on what I read at various points in the process, i thought it went down

You might be right.

I was under the impression that we didn’t try to bring him back. It wouldn’t be seen as a big deal if his replacement wasn’t such a dud tho.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think most Rangers fans necessarily wanted Cruz back, I didn't at the time, he made some selfish decisions and was injury prone and the PED thing just made him toxic to me,

But based on what he did after no one wants to be wrong, so it will always seem that way now, but it was probably about 50/50 thing with Cruz, from what I recall

Hamilton was pretty much a trainwreck when he hit FA and signed with the Angels, that was just a good decision

I'll give you Kinsler, because that actually might be the case, and it was never that good of a good trade, and Profar getting hurt made it even worse... in addition to Fielder being damaged goods.... and a lousy 1B, should've been DH

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right.

I was under the impression that we didn’t try to bring him back. It wouldn’t be seen as a big deal if his replacement wasn’t such a dud tho.
Just reading the things said in the media I take it that theu weren't certain they wanted Maddux back. They told him he was part of the staff coming back and then told him to feel free to look at other options. Once he started doing that JD decided to move on. Like you said, he seemed to let his emotions make the decision, but he already wasn't completely sure to begin with.

It seems indecision gets the best of him at times. I used to think the indecision was due to both him and Nolan trying to make decisions, but it has continued.

He isn't great and he certainly isn"t awful. I don't trust the current ownership to be able to find a suitable replacement so I do not want to see him gone at this time. He has made his share of blunders though, but then, I guess we all have.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just reading the things said in the media I take it that theu weren't certain they wanted Maddux back. They told him he was part of the staff coming back and then told him to feel free to look at other options. Once he started doing that JD decided to move on. Like you said, he seemed to let his emotions make the decision, but he already wasn't completely sure to begin with.

It seems indecision gets the best of him at times. I used to think the indecision was due to both him and Nolan trying to make decisions, but it has continued.

He isn't great and he certainly isn"t awful. I don't trust the current ownership to be able to find a suitable replacement so I do not want to see him gone at this time. He has made his share of blunders though, but then, I guess we all have.

I still think he’s paid a price for the teixera trade. That trade was so awesome that the rest of the league was shocked and all of their front offices made a note to “watch out for this guy”. We experienced a prolonged “fall out” from the deal.

It seems like the trades since the Atlanta deal have been lackluster at best and we’ve paid a steep price in all of them. The Cubs seem to have gotten the better of us in all of our deals. The lucroy trade could rival the San Diego trade (adam Eaton for Adrian Gonzalez) as his all time worst. The dodger trade has not shaped up to be a good one. I hated it at the time, and haven’t seen anything good become of it yet. My hopes are pinned on AJ Alexy developing into something decent. Calhoun is a LA diva who thinks he’s Bryce harper.

We were also subjected to a “brain drain” of sorts. Nolan is in Houston, Levine is in Minnesota, and preller is in San Diego.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I remember Maddox wanted to be the manager and when it became clear he was not going to get that he pursued things and ultimately settled for a more glamorous job with D.C.

Definitely more a people friendly coach than Brocail IMO but we have gone the full metrics route since that which I am interested to see how it plays out

Last edited: