• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers motor into Detroit to rock the Tigers - 8/20 - 23

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be hard to sign Yu anyways

I've long had concerns about the "resignability" of Yu.

Again, if I'm the Rangers and Yu shows us the old Yu by mid-season 2016, I'm going all out with an offer to him long term. Not throwing numbers out, that's up to the guys with the checkbook.

But if Yu rejects whatever we deem is a fair offer, it tells us he's going to test the FA market in 2018, no matter what. And if this is true, then we have to accept it as "he's gone."

If he goes the FA route, he'll end up in NY or LA, with any of the 4 teams associated with those markets. They will outspend us, even foolishly so. Look what those silly fuckers out there in Dodgerland are doing this season. It truly is monopoly to some of the teams now.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, FO knows his importance and what it means to the club to sign him. I do not know what it will take but am sure he will be signed if possible. What is the amount it will take? You tell me. idk

Money kept them from Greinke. Yu will command over 20 mill per year and more of he comes back strong. Money is a factor. We don't even invest in relief pitching getting them on the cheap. BTW I have no problem with this but if
We had better relief to start the year it would have been worth a few more W's. History is on my side on this one guys

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rangers should go after an extension with Yu next ST. After that point his price will only go higher and higher. If you offer him a multiyear deal next spring you just might get him at a discount where even the Rangers budget can handle it. Not that he will be cheap, but you might get him for several million per year less than what he will command if you let him go to free agency.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just might if they try to redo Yu's contract next year which I think is the best chance of resigning him. I really do not see Rangers paying Gallardo 16 million next year and I also do not see them making him a multi year offer where he might take less per year. They do have a budget and just got Hamels too. I do think they would love that draft pick though

Trust me. It won't.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money kept them from Greinke. Yu will command over 20 mill per year and more of he comes back strong. Money is a factor. We don't even invest in relief pitching getting them on the cheap. BTW I have no problem with this but if
We had better relief to start the year it would have been worth a few more W's. History is on my side on this one guys
They have operated within a fairly tight budget in each of the past two offseasons. I don't know when they can increase that budget significantly. I guess we will find out when JD is interviewed after the season. He has been straightforward about his offseason budgets in the past. Maybe whatever kept them from making much of an increase the past two offseasons will not be a factor any longer. We shall see.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have operated within a fairly tight budget in each of the past two offseasons. I don't know when they can increase that budget significantly. I guess we will find out when JD is interviewed after the season. He has been straightforward about his offseason budgets in the past. Maybe whatever kept them from making much of an increase the past two offseasons will not be a factor any longer. We shall see.

I don't see it as operating inside a tight budget as much as only being willing to make smart baseball moves. They've added salary at multiple times in the last two seasons including the Choo and Hamels acquisitions.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well as I remember they used the TV contract money already. (Despite any dispute re this) Not that the yearly revenues is dry. They will have to stay inside a budget to resign Yu. Getting rid of Harry money did help. I think getting Hamels was a insurance policy just in case but we all want to see Yu, Hamels, Dutch, Perez and I think Colby as our projected staff once Yu comes back after the season starts

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well as I remember they used the TV contract money already. (Despite any dispute re this) Not that the yearly revenues is dry. They will have to stay inside a budget to resign Yu. Getting rid of Harry money did help. I think getting Hamels was a insurance policy just in case but we all want to see Yu, Hamels, Dutch, Perez and I think Colby as our projected staff once Yu comes back after the season starts

They've used that money already? How do you come to that conclusion?

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu is bridge to be crossed a lot further down the road. Gallardo - I don't think he fits into the plan for the Rangers after this year.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money spent always affects money you want to spend if you do operate within a budget.

You guys are getting too tied up in this imaginary budget none of us know anything about. Second. I'll buy everyone here a steak dinner if Gallardo accepts the QO.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've used that money already? How do you come to that conclusion?

I have heard that in the past via twitter. It is searchable and said because Bennie and I have had this discussion on ESPN site. I think he disagrees with me on this

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are getting too tied up in this imaginary budget none of us know anything about. Second. I'll buy everyone here a steak dinner if Gallardo accepts the QO.
I do love steak but I am not sure we tender if he regresses. I do think he would be interested in a multi year offer averaging under the QO average.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rangers should go after an extension with Yu next ST.

So, if he's looking healthy, although he hasn't thrown a competitive pitch, you'd open the wallet to the tune of what? 6 years at $22 mil each?

Throw some numbers at me boss. Seriously. You're a terrific numbers guy and I enjoy seeing the opinion/input. So, fire-at-will sir.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it as operating inside a tight budget as much as only being willing to make smart baseball moves. They've added salary at multiple times in the last two seasons including the Choo and Hamels acquisitions.
Choo fit within the budget they were aiming for so his signing isn't an indication that they will go above a budgeted amount. Hamels was an in season acquisition and those have always been a separate situation. They make their budgets in the offseason and usually stick to them in the offseason They have an understanding that if they get a chance within the season to help themselves make a push they will spend additional monies. They were only able to land Hamels because they were willing to sell Thompson for the amount of Harrison's contract. If they could have afforded it under their budget they would have simply kept Harrison and Thompson.

Smart baseball moves are always the goal. The budget is also a goal. Sometimes what is smart for one team is not smart for another one because they have different amounts available within the budget.

The Choo signing fit within the budget, but wasn't a smart baseball move. They spent on Choo because they had the budget room and not because it was the smart move to make in my opinion. I think they did the same thing on a much lesser basis with Berkman a few years back.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do love steak but I am not sure we tender if he regresses. I do think he would be interested in a multi year offer averaging under the QO average.

Kelleyman....look at you....wow.....impressive.

What's your favorite steak-place in DFW? ha ha

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kellyman....look at you....wow.....impressive.

What's your favorite steak-place in DFW? ha ha

Well I am not generally a very high roller but first thing comes to mind is TexasdeBrazil regardless of other steakhouses.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard that in the past via twitter. It is searchable and said because Bennie and I have had this discussion on ESPN site. I think he disagrees with me on this

I don't see any way someone could definitively come to that conclusion.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are probably right about Gallardo even if it would be smart for him to accept. I doubt he accepts a qualifying offer.

The budget for any company isn't imaginary. No business operates with an imaginary budget. I don't pretend to know all of the details and that is why I said whatever caused the previous two budgets to remain fairly static could be gone now. I do know I heard JD say in October of 2013 that the next two budgets would not be changed drastically due to them signing free agents in the next two offseasons. He didn't have to say that, but he did and he wound up doing just what he said. If he says anything about the upcoming budgets anytime soon I will believe that also.