• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers motor into Detroit to rock the Tigers - 8/20 - 23

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo fit within the budget they were aiming for so his signing isn't an indication that they will go above a budgeted amount. Hamels was an in season acquisition and those have always been a separate situation. They make their budgets in the offseason and usually stick to them in the offseason They have an understanding that if they get a chance within the season to help themselves make a push they will spend additional monies. They were only able to land Hamels because they were willing to sell Thompson for the amount of Harrison's contract. If they could have afforded it under their budget they would have simply kept Harrison and Thompson.

Smart baseball moves are always the goal. The budget is also a goal. Sometimes what is smart for one team is not smart for another one because they have different amounts available within the budget.

The Choo signing fit within the budget, but wasn't a smart baseball move. They spent on Choo because they had the budget room and not because it was the smart move to make in my opinion. I think they did the same thing on a much lesser basis with Berkman a few years back.

I disagree. I believe Harrison was worked into the deal to get us out from under his potentially sunk cost and put that money to good use. You sayin adding Choo, Hamels, Fielder etc isn't an indicator that they were willing to raise the budget because that was part of the budget after the fact is something that you couldn't possibly have first hand knowledge of.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any way someone could definitively come to that conclusion.
Some think they used an advance of the local TV money and that is why the budget couldn't be enlarged significantly after the Fox SW deal took effect.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I believe Harrison was worked into the deal to get us out from under his potentially sunk cost and put that money to good use. You sayin adding Choo, Hamels, Fielder etc isn't an indicator that they were willing to raise the budget because that was part of the budget after the fact is something that you couldn't possibly have first hand knowledge of.
That is another way to say what I was trying to say. They couldn't afford Harrison's salary and Hamels'.

Romeo I am saying that even after they signed Choo and traded for Fielder they were still within the budget they said they would be at before those deals were done. They made the budget decisions in October or maybe before and then made those deals later and they were still within their budget. I didn't put Hamels in that same category though. They did have to clear out Harrison's contract to get Hamels though.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if he's looking healthy, although he hasn't thrown a competitive pitch, you'd open the wallet to the tune of what? 6 years at $22 mil each?

Throw some numbers at me boss. Seriously. You're a terrific numbers guy and I enjoy seeing the opinion/input. So, fire-at-will sir.

If I may step into this...

I'm of the opinion that you don't approach an extension with Yu until after the 2016 season. The Rangers need to see what he brings to the table post-TJ. And as for an offer, I'd say you'd have to start at a bare minimum of 4/100 to keep the conversation going... I can see Yu wanting 5 years. I'm not sure I do that, and I absolutely don't do 6 years.

EDIT: I wouldn't be opposed to an extension that replaces his 2017 salary as part of the first year of a new 5 year deal that's at $125m.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is another way to say what I was trying to say. They couldn't afford Harrison's salary and Hamels'.

Romeo I am saying that even after they signed Choo and traded for Fielder they were still within the budget they said they would be at before those deals were done. They made the budget decisions in October or maybe before and then made those deals later and they were still within their budget. I didn't put Hamels in that same category though. They did have to clear out Harrison's contract to get Hamels though.

And I'm telling you that you have little to no knowledge on what their budget is it any times and when they chose to expand it, or operated tightly within it.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm of the opinion that you don't approach an extension with Yu until after the 2016 season. The Rangers need to see what he brings to the table post-TJ. And as for an offer, I'd say you'd have to start at a bare minimum of 4/100 to keep the conversation going... I can see Yu wanting 5 years. I'm not sure I do that, and I absolutely don't do 6 years.

Might have to do 5 with a 6th year option and buy out.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big-market Rangers short on funds this off-season | The Star Telegram

This is part of the story about TV money spent. Do we trust it? I lean this way but would not put my life on it.
I think acquisitions like Hamels puts $ in stands and helps ratings
That article fails to take into account how much the payroll should have increased without any new TV contract simply based on the fact that the team wasn't broke any longer. The budget should have increased significantly under the new ownership compared to the bankrupt Tom Hicks even without any additional increase in TV revenue. It also fails to take into account the additional revenue they are getting with the new national TV contracts that kicked in a year before the local one.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article fails to take into account how much the payroll should have increased without any new TV contract simply based on the fact that the team wasn't broke any longer. The budget should have increased significantly under the new ownership compared to the bankrupt Tom Hicks even without any additional increase in TV revenue. It also fails to take into account the additional revenue they are getting with the new national TV contracts that kicked in a year before the local one.

There is more out there but like I said point is some money has been spent if you trust it

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm telling you that you have little to no knowledge on what their budget is it any times and when they chose to expand it, or operated tightly within it.
I know I heard JD say it would remain fairly close to what it was in 2013 for the next two offseasons and it did. That much has been proven. That is thanks to JD being open and forthright about it. Now, how it is going to be from here on out is something that I have not heard JD address. The past two years has taught me to believe him if he decides to comment about it though. It took me a few months before I believed him, but I do now.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

EDIT: I wouldn't be opposed to an extension that replaces his 2017 salary as part of the first year of a new 5 year deal that's at $125m.

Step on in, Big Dog.....

If the Rangers want to get in front of the "Yu financial Tsunami" then early is of the essence, IMO. At the end of the season, and he's pitched well, the long term cost is millions, and millions higher than it was if, "we approached Yu early (mid-season) and bought out the last 2 years ($9 mil per for 16/17) and extended for 4 more."

Or how about, we "renegotiate" the last 2 years, extend for 3, and he'll still only be 34?

It's spaghetti time here at Cafe-DeLa-Ranger it seems.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Step on in, Big Dog.....

If the Rangers want to get in front of the "Yu financial Tsunami" then early is of the essence, IMO. At the end of the season, and he's pitched well, the long term cost is millions, and millions higher than it was if, "we approached Yu early (mid-season) and bought out the last 2 years ($9 mil per for 16/17) and extended for 4 more."

Or how about, we "renegotiate" the last 2 years, extend for 3, and he'll still only be 34?

Do they ever negotiate with players in mid-season though?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Step on in, Big Dog.....

I figured we'd end up buying out his 2017 option and add 4 years on top of that with a fifth year option. Maybe make it look something like this.

2017: 19m
2018: 21m
2019: 23m
2020: 24m
2021: 24m
2022: option year at 25m with a 5m buy out.

Maybe a bit low, but it's a starting point.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Step on in, Big Dog.....

Well, I'll say that I'm not opposed to that idea, but I think (assuming here, obviously) that players themselves generally don't like to deal with that sort of BS during the season. And I get that. But then again, I don't know Yu, who may not operate like that. Maybe he'd see it as a sign of respect that the team wants him here long term, and that would tip the scales in our favor.

I'll fully admit - I want Yu here long term. I've been 100% on board since he signed here, and I'd hate to see him with another team. So speaking honestly, I'm probably a "do what it takes" person. In reality, it all comes back to JD. He's dealt with Yu and his representation (in addition to the rest of his dealings), so he knows how - and more importantly, when - to approach them. Trusting that he'll give it the full court press, but admittedly realistic that Yu will be in demand.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Step on in, Big Dog.....

I agree with Ephland in that we need to wait on how 2016 pans out. The last thing we want to do is make a commitment and then there is an issue that takes Yu out for a period of time or we have money going down the drain.