• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers motor into Detroit to rock the Tigers - 8/20 - 23

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallardo will get a QO. Win win for Texas whether he accepts or declines.
I hope that is the case. if he pitches well then no problem with QO if not what if he accepts?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what if he accepts?

Then we've got him on a one year deal.

Although I'm not crazy about it, we may indeed need him for next season. We've still got a lot of what-ifs for starters in 2016 IMO.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then we've got him on a one year deal.

Although I'm not crazy about it, we may indeed need him for next season. We've still got a lot of what-ifs for starters in 2016 IMO.

Yes but not sure he is worth that money. But yes how things shake out may influence. What ifs abound

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but not sure he is worth that money. But yes how things shake out may influence. What ifs abound

I'm not sure what we'd offer him really. He's making about $7.5-8 mil this season I think. In the open market is he worth 3 years at $25 mil? Will the Rangers offer him $10.5 or more on a QO?

Do you know much about this QO situation? Asking, are we obligated to offer him a 10% increase in order to even attempt to retain him? Not at all sure how all this works.

But the "what-ifs" are numerous for us in 2016......Will Yu be the same old Yu by mid-season? Is Holland going to make it through a complete year and be a solid #3? Do we do what is necessary to keep Colby? Will Gonzalez be ready to hold down a spot if someone goes down? Lots and lots of :noidea:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what we'd offer him really. He's making about $7.5-8 mil this season I think. In the open market is he worth 3 years at $25 mil? Will the Rangers offer him $10.5 or more on a QO?

Do you know much about this QO situation? Asking, are we obligated to offer him a 10% increase in order to even attempt to retain him? Not at all sure how all this works.

But the "what-ifs" are numerous for us in 2016......Will Yu be the same old Yu by mid-season? Is Holland going to make it through a complete year and be a solid #3? Do we do what is necessary to keep Colby? Will Gonzalez be ready to hold down a spot if someone goes down? Lots and lots of :noidea:

I'm not sure of the exact number but the QO will be around or above 15 mil I believe. It won't take much to retain Colby. Keep him.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the "what-ifs" are always numerous with pitching staffs. I think it is the nature of the beast. I think many clubs will be asking the same kind of questions.

I would say based on how he has pitched this season I would be happy with Gonzalez as our first line of defense in case of injury.

Based on how Holland has pitched when healthy I think he will be better than a #3. Until Yu gets back to form sometime in June I think Derek will be our best pitcher.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure of the exact number but the QO will be around or above 15 mil I believe. It won't take much to retain Colby. Keep him.

Where does the $15 mil QO come from? If he's playing for $8 this season, he's certainly hasn't performed to a $15 level for 2016 IMO. So why offer him double his current contract?

I your opinion, what is "not much" for Colby?

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No such thing as a bad one year deal.
I disagree. Of course a bad one year deal is not as bad as a bad multi-year deal, but it is bad nonetheless. If you have a budget like the Yankees or Dodgers then they might be able to say that, but for just about every other team you can hurt yourself by spending unwisely for even a one year deal. That means you have that much less to spend elsewhere.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The qualifying offer is a one-year contract worth the average of the top 125 salaries according to an article on fangraphs.com.

Last year is was $15.3 million so it is probably close to $16 million this coming offseason.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Colby's heart is with the Rangers. The organization and Colby have scratched each others back so to speak in the last few years so there is a great relationship there.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers would have to decide if they feel like gambling that Gallardo will want a multiyear deal. I certainly wouldn't want to pay him that much for even one year.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallardo wants to test the market so if rejects QO then we get something only if he signs. But in back of mind I wonder what if he accepts the 15+ million QO. I would rather invest in Yu. I am not sure we tender if he regresses any more. Too risky unless he finishes off strong

Last edited:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The qualifying offer is a one-year contract worth the average of the top 125 salaries according to an article on fangraphs.com.

Last year is was $15.3 million so it is probably close to $16 million this coming offseason.

Thank you....I probably didn't ask my question properly. But this is what I was trying to get too.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather invest in Yu.

Sorry.....but if I'm the Rangers, I'm offering him zero until I see him pitch, and pitch effectively.

I'd much rather overpay later, rather than pay for what we know today is damaged goods, and then be stuck.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry.....but if I'm the Rangers, I'm offering him zero until I see him pitch, and pitch effectively.

I'd much rather overpay later, rather than pay for what we know today is damaged goods, and then be stuck.

Well of course. I am not advocating a huge offer immediately but I like my chances with Yu over Gallardo by a longshot even unseen. What I am saying is there is a budget like it or not and I would rather save the money to spend on Yu if he recovers well. He has started to throw. It may be hard to sign Yu anyways but this guy is special and I think the best Ranger pitcher to ever don the uniform despite no longevity here at this point

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallardo wants to test the market so if rejects QO then we get something only if he signs. But in back of mind I wonder what if he accepts the 15+ million QO. I would rather invest in Yu. I am not sure we tender if he regresses any more. Too risky unless he finishes off strong

Offering Gallardo a one year QO does not keep them from investing in Yu.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just might if they try to redo Yu's contract next year which I think is the best chance of resigning him. I really do not see Rangers paying Gallardo 16 million next year and I also do not see them making him a multi year offer where he might take less per year. They do have a budget and just got Hamels too. I do think they would love that draft pick though

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, FO knows his importance and what it means to the club to sign him. I do not know what it will take but am sure he will be signed if possible. What is the amount it will take? You tell me. idk