• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers at Rays (4/4-4/6)

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murph ... was out all evening unable to post but I'm paying your way to Vegas next time I go with you. I'm betting nobody took the under ... and you squeezed every bit out of that. Nicely done.

Could have been more RA but made it out of the first only giving up 1, Fielder made a play to help him out and he managed to get through a bases loaded situation. I thought i nailed it w him giving up 6 but I really didnt think he would make it out of the 2nd

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just pulled up tonights game as someone earlier mentioned he had a 2 hitter going, too tired to research previous starts bout to crash

Oh, I hear ya- me to. That's why I wasn't going to bother with it myself...might have been tough to find. Really appreciate you looking it up and posting it though.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had good springs 2 years in a row for the Rangers and then we had so much depth in the MI that we just didn't really have a spot for him without impeding the progress of other top prospects and we just couldn't keep him I guess (he's playing some LF for the Yanks now too). He had a great ST for the Yankees this spring and he's started out on fire so far early in the season. Interesting player ill be watching his progress

Yeah he seems like he may have the potential to be another one of those ones that got away. Still early though. I'm sure Yankees fans already like him more than Arod though.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I hear ya- me to. That's why I wasn't going to bother with it myself...might have been tough to find. Really appreciate you looking it up and posting it though.

Tonight was his only start so far, I think RR just started their season yesterday believe this was only their 2nd game. Hope he has continued success. No worries anytime

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pettis does bring other good qualities to the team. He's a very good outfield coach. He's done a great job with just about every center fielder we've had mechanics wise. I think he has a pretty big input to on base running..... Hmmm..... Base running...... Maybe he shouldn't put that on his resume either. All though, he's done a good job with helping with the base stealing aspect.

Elzie I will be polite ... you are just spouting what the team employee announcers are told to say. Pettis has been terrible. Since Wash moved Pettis to 3b TEX base running has been absolutely abysmal. And ... name one CFer who has benefited from Pettis' coaching?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was at my daughter's this evening and saw the Prince baserunning blunder but never the explanation ... did Wash answer as to what went on with that play? What I saw was Pettis spectating out there not giving Prince any indication of what he was supposed to do ... so in the absence of a clear GO ... he stopped. Did Wash explain?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at my daughter's this evening and saw the Prince baserunning blunder but never the explanation ... did Wash answer as to what went on with that play? What I saw was Pettis spectating out there not giving Prince any indication of what he was supposed to do ... so in the absence of a clear GO ... he stopped. Did Wash explain?

Haven't heard an explanation from either Prince or Wash but from what i saw and replays there was nothing clear cut on Pettis either sending him or holding him up. From my perspective i saw fielder looking towards the third base coaches box and then in split time i saw the ball cut off by Myers still in RF so it seemed as if Fielder had no clue where the ball was but w some coaching he scores easily and maybe Rios behind him who had almost rounded third as well. Seems the problem was Prince rounds the bag at third still looking for the call and hears nothing and then goes back and sees Rios on his butt and Moreland going to 2nd so he heads toward home so both runners advance and then he's meat. Though it reminded me of him being tagged out going back to third in the WS game

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as you're taught in high school, you round the base hard and look for the stop sign. I guy in a wheel chair scores on that ball if he rounds the base instead of stopping, like PF did.

sometimes it's actual the players fault and this falls on Fielder

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you want an explanation? Round the bag and don't stop. Fat guy score if he understands baserunning 101

indecision is decision

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you want an explanation? Round the bag and don't stop. Fat guy score if he understands baserunning 101

indecision is decision

Wash put it all on Fielder. Pretty simple really. And you spelled it out perfectly.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

indecision is decision

I played baseball many years and why is there no 3rd base coaching 101? That ball is hit down the RF line which is to Fielders back once he starts running. Now I agree he should have known from the beginning he could score because I know I would have taken off with the intent of scoring. But at the same time the coach needs to be waving him on. I have to put blame on both parties.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played baseball many years and why is there no 3rd base coaching 101? That ball is hit down the RF line which is to Fielders back once he starts running. Now I agree he should have known from the beginning he could score because I know I would have taken off with the intent of scoring. But at the same time the coach needs to be waving him on. I have to put blame on both parties.

I'm glad you brought this up.

It has shocked me over the years how guys running the bases are looking over their shoulder to see where the ball is when what they should be doing is running hard with their eyes on the 3rd base coach. And this isn't just a few players, it's most.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

indecision is decision

True, but third base coaching 101 says you wave your player home as soon as you can. Pettis is too indecisive as a third base coach.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCutchen sent down while Martinez is called up and Gimenez is a FA.

Darvish will be activated and someone will have to be sent down to make room for him on the 25 too I would think.

Last edited by a moderator:

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I have half right about my prediction for the game...got just about exactly what I thought from Saunders, but the offense forgot to hit like I predicted! haha Oh well...im interested to see what Nick can do tonight against a very good team!

elziegreat42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Elzie I will be polite ... you are just spouting what the team employee announcers are told to say. Pettis has been terrible. Since Wash moved Pettis to 3b TEX base running has been absolutely abysmal. And ... name one CFer who has benefited from Pettis' coaching?

I would say Hamilton, but he had so much talent to begin with, although GP certainty could've helped him. I can name several cf'ers who well above average in their time here. Gary Mathews Jr was a terrific defensive center fielder here. When he moved on he regressed. Byrd was an above average center fielder defensively and regressed a bit defensively when he left too. Gentry turned into a terrific center fielder later in his career with us. Martin has made huge strides defensively the last few seasons.

Could it be coincidence that these players turned into good center fielders here and regressed once they left? (aside from gentry and martin) Possibly.... But maybe GP had something that do with it