• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Angelic visit to La La land 7/18-7/20

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is to keep Profar and send Odor in a package that would get us a sp of value, Hopefully a Moore or Santann. May be wishful thinking but at some point the decision must be made to keep Profar or cut the cord.

The article omits moving Elvis in a deal. Now I think he is doing well this year but if the Rays are down to give us a MORP and a reliever or two for a MLB proven SS (cough, cough with a huge price tag) I say we go for it. However, don't see JD dealing him as his numbers are the best in years and he IS contributing.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As some of us have anecdotally posted above. Last year, the exact same time frame we were 2-8 and 7.5 games down and below .500 by 5 games. In retrospect we should thank Banny for pushing the team when he did to get the lead we had and now have.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers have about 6 starts remaining (including tonight) with the likes of Lohse, Chi Chi, etc... before Colby and Holland return. JD of course knows this so in effect we are "acquiring" starting pitching right around August 20. At that time its likely we won't be leading the division any longer considering we are currently playing like a last place team. But...do you really trade away a Gallo or a Profar for a SP when two starting pitchers are set to return just a few weeks later? Certainly not for someone like Ervin Santana or Matt Moore.

Im thinking he goes after bullpen help with lower level trade pieces. However watching Odor play defense the last few weeks is lessening my desire to keep him.

I am going to the Ranger game tonight. I'll see what I can do.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers have about 6 starts remaining (including tonight) with the likes of Lohse, Chi Chi, etc... before Colby and Holland return. JD of course knows this so in effect we are "acquiring" starting pitching right around August 20. At that time its likely we won't be leading the division any longer considering we are currently playing like a last place team. But...do you really trade away a Gallo or a Profar for a SP when two starting pitchers are set to return just a few weeks later? Certainly not for someone like Ervin Santana or Matt Moore.

Im thinking he goes after bullpen help with lower level trade pieces. However watching Odor play defense the last few weeks is lessening my desire to keep him.

We don't know for sure when Lewis and Holland will return and if they will be able to help when they get back. Then the question is will they be effective and durable. Make a trade!
By the way, are you flying out or are you there now?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't have any expectations tonight, Lohse is pitching

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know for sure when Lewis and Holland will return and if they will be able to help when they get back. Then the question is will they be effective and durable. Make a trade!
Plus we don't know if Yu will stay healthy and if AJ and Holland get things on track.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Already there. Just happened to get tix the night Lohse is pitching. Yippee!!

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the beer will be cold. Have fun

Since he's gotta watch Lohse pitch, it should be free. He's gonna need a lot of it too! :D:suds:

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ye
Since he's gotta watch Lohse pitch, it should be free. He's gonna need a lot of it too! :D:suds:
Yep, of all games I get to see Kyle Lohse. Oh well. Make the most of it I suppose. Maybe he pitches a gem?

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could play the "we don't know if (fill in the blank) will stay healthy" all we want, but at some point you have to trust that someone will be healthy. What if Hamels or Beltre, or Desmond get hurt. You simply cannot plan for every injury. When guys are out for the season or have as bad of an injury history as Hamilton then you make contingency plans, but to make trades simply because you don't know if Yu will stay healthy or if Colby or Derek can actually heal up and come back is not wise in my opinion.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All of the above have had DL stints this year if I am not mistaken. Beltran is not really an OFer but a DH but is blocked by A-Rod for DH. He would not be help to us in the OF. Runs like an old man. DH yes, but that position is taken by Fielder.

Reddick is a beast but rides the DL too often.

So given the choices I say Jay Bruce but think he is a rental. If Maz started hitting again like he did in April/May then I think we hold on getting an extra OFer. If Choo goes on the long term DL we play what we have and activate a youngster from the minors as the 4th OFer and give Rua daily ABs.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am going to the Ranger game tonight. I'll see what I can do.---:D

Throw in the rehab starts and it is about 2-3 more starts later. Who knows if they come back. You roll the dice on Holland and Colby. You also roll the dice Holland fixes what he had wrong with his command and you hope on a shooting star 37 year old Colby comes back in the form he did early in the season. AJ was lights out until coming back off the DL.

It's decision time. How bad does the FO want a credible shot of a WS title? Or do they hold what they have in the farm, hope it pans out in future years giving the Rangers more opportunities of making the playoffs. Tough decision. Either way, they need to make some trades of prospects in the off season at a minimum. We are deep in position players but need help in pitching. If we don't address our rotation via trade deadline then we need to address it in the farm system. If not we will have the same gaping holes and pathetic games we are seeing now for years to come.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ye

Yep, of all games I get to see Kyle Lohse. Oh well. Make the most of it I suppose. Maybe he pitches a gem?

Or you will only have to watch 1-2 innings of Lohse and then Ramos. Very possible you will see quite a few Rangers pitchers tonight.

Yeah like everyone else is saying...enjoy the ballpark. If it gets too bad you can always hit the in stadium bar and watch women's tennis on ESPN 10 or something. :)

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could play the "we don't know if (fill in the blank) will stay healthy" all we want, but at some point you have to trust that someone will be healthy. What if Hamels or Beltre, or Desmond get hurt. You simply cannot plan for every injury. When guys are out for the season or have as bad of an injury history as Hamilton then you make contingency plans, but to make trades simply because you don't know if Yu will stay healthy or if Colby or Derek can actually heal up and come back is not wise in my opinion.

Good points all. However, the FO and Banny must hedge their bets. It is a mentality that if you can improve the team you do so. One could imagine Holland will be back sooner than Colby. So even if another pitcher goes down, you hedge your bets and have another viable option. We have no MiL options viable right now, so a trade for at least one SP is important. Especially one who is controllable next year and beyond if possible with Colby a FA at the end of the year. That's the FO hedging its bets for the here and now and for the future.

As I stated in a previous post, for our future to be bright and competitive we need some pitching help either MLB performing now, MLB ready minor or soon to be MLB minor ready. So if we roll with what we have now, it kicks the can down the road to the off season. Either way we will be dealing some folks.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need help Bennie. Outside Hamels and Yu we don't have one credible pitcher in our rotation at the present. Perez is healthy and not reliable. We have a good shot of winning the division and making the playoffs so why would we not acquire a SP. Surly you are not suggesting we stick with AJ Colby Derek Nick and Chi Chi.:nono:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ye

In fairness.... Lohse would have done ok in his first start if it wasn't for that Rosario kid.