• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering there are no middle infielders coming in free agency for the next two years - I'd exercise the option on TA and see if I can trade him - if not - play him at 2nd base. But might also look into signing Whit Merrifield who can play 2nd and RF and won't be long term.

Sal Perez at $20 million a year - I'll pass.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A fun guy to keep an eye on from the farm system is Jacob Burke - an 11th round draft pick from Miami in 22. Burke plays like his name is Crash Davis - he is absolutely fearless going after a ball hit to the outfield. He had a 52 game on base streak this season. He figures to hit 15 hrs - .380 on base percentage and 20 stolen bases per year. Currently, he is in the Arizona fall league with Carson Montgomery.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A fun guy to keep an eye on from the farm system is Jacob Burke - an 11th round draft pick from Miami in 22. Burke plays like his name is Crash Davis - he is absolutely fearless going after a ball hit to the outfield. He had a 52 game on base streak this season. He figures to hit 15 hrs - .380 on base percentage and 20 stolen bases per year. Currently, he is in the Arizona fall league with Carson Montgomery.
i can see his future now. "crash crashes into wall ---out for rest of season"

after the experiences we've had with this team's injuries i'm not sure i want another guy who averages 75 games a season.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another guy to keep an eye on from the minors - is Catcher Michael Turner. Turner was a 5th round pick in the 22 draft and just spent his 1st full year in the minors. The highest ranked young catcher is Edgar Quero who was at AA last year at 20 years old. Turner is 25 years old - he spent 5 years catching in college - 4 at Kent State and his last year at Arkansas.

Turner is in no one's top 30 - probably because of his 25 year old age. He is 6'2" 205 lbs - and bats lefty. in high A last year, he battled .305 with a 410 on base percentage. He is the best defensive catcher in the Sox system and has a good arm for tossing guys out. At the plate he shows really good control over the strike zone - hence his low Ks and high OBP.

What will be interesting is whether Turner joins Quero in AA next year or one of them gets the AAA assignment. The Sox have tow other Catchers in the top 30 - both in low A last year - Ronny Hernandez (international signing) and Calvin Harris - 23 4th round draft pick.

Here's an interview with Turner:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can see his future now. "crash crashes into wall ---out for rest of season"

after the experiences we've had with this team's injuries i'm not sure i want another guy who averages 75 games a season.

Some guys know how to make these catches without landing on their fingers, hand, elbow or shoulder.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some guys know how to make these catches without landing on their fingers, hand, elbow or shoulder.
i get that, but to continually put yourself at risk (and he seems to actually brag about this) doesn't seem very smart to me and will usually end up hurt. it only takes one time.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i get that, but to continually put yourself at risk (and he seems to actually brag about this) doesn't seem very smart to me and will usually end up hurt. it only takes one time.
I agree it increases the chance of injury, but then there are guys like Pete Rose playing entire careers - Gonzo. Benetendi, on the other hand, will hardly bend over at the waist to catch a ball.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a few more posts about random potential players that I've never heard of by Mingo and the World Series is back on the menu boys.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a few more posts about random potential players that I've never heard of by Mingo and the World Series is back on the menu boys.
I won't disappoint. Tim Elko is listed as the 81 prospect in the Sox system, but I would take him over Vaughn right now.

Power hitting 1st baseman last year in Birmingham. He is a top fielder - was 3 times named captain of the Ole Miss baseball team - including their National Championship year two years ago. Elko carries a .379 On Base Percentage - to go with his high BA and .568 slugging percentage. He has succeeded everywhere he goes.

One interesting characteristic of recent Sox draft picks - is their command of the strike zone - instead of their swing and miss propensities.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't disappoint. Tim Elko is listed as the 81 prospect in the Sox system, but I would take him over Vaughn right now.

Power hitting 1st baseman last year in Birmingham. He is a top fielder - was 3 times named captain of the Ole Miss baseball team - including their National Championship year two years ago. Elko carries a .379 On Base Percentage - to go with his high BA and .568 slugging percentage. He has succeeded everywhere he goes.

One interesting characteristic of recent Sox draft picks - is their command of the strike zone - instead of their swing and miss propensities.

unconfuse me. 311th pick is exciting why?"

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unconfuse me. 311th pick is exciting why?"
The obvious answer is because he can play. Just like Michael Turner - 25 year old catcher - who can play - Elko is also older than what prospect rankers like. Quero is partially rated so high because he is only 20 years old. Elko is 24 years old. The thing is he can play in the MLB - he can field his position - he is selective about what he swings at and he's a leader - IMO.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would resign Giolito - among Free Agent pitchers. The guy almost started crying when he was traded. He pitched okay this season - likes Katz and had his best pitching under Katz - pitched crapy enough in other locations - he is not an attractive FA signing. Give him a couple of year deal and I think it helps Kopech and Cease and their return next year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

White Sox talk - talking to Josh Barfield about direction of the Sox. Barfield says the Diamondbacks lost 112 games in 2021 - and made the NL championship series this year - and in his view the Sox can do the same.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

White Sox talk - talking to Josh Barfield about direction of the Sox. Barfield says the Diamondbacks lost 112 games in 2021 - and made the NL championship series this year - and in his view the Sox can do the same.
the cool-aid goes down easy for this one.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the cool-aid goes down easy for this one.
He saw his old Uni number on an AZ plate fixed up to be Sox 29! He thought it was a good sign, but it could have been a warning, ;)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mingo, as I previously mentioned, I like your enthusiasm regarding our farm, and being you follow the the minors a helluva lot closer than most of us, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe at some point down the road, the Good Guys will be bringing up some players who can actually contribute to a winning culture. Of course, based on much of what's transpired the past 17 seasons, I also remain quite skeptical that such a transformation will take place. Still, in reviewing our top 10 prospects, it's at least a bit encouraging that all but one are no older than 23. On the flip side tho, with our dearth of talent in the outfield, in both quality starting and depth (La Pantera aside of course), I would have liked to see at least one of those Top 10ers man the OF. Otherwise, it's a pretty decent balance. Here's a list of our Top 30 at the present:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mingo, as I previously mentioned, I like your enthusiasm regarding our farm, and being you follow the the minors a helluva lot closer than most of us, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe at some point down the road, the Good Guys will be bringing up some players who can actually contribute to a winning culture. Of course, based on much of what's transpired the past 17 seasons, I also remain quite skeptical that such a transformation will take place. Still, in reviewing our top 10 prospects, it's at least a bit encouraging that all but one are no older than 23. On the flip side tho, with our dearth of talent in the outfield, in both quality starting and depth (La Pantera aside of course), I would have liked to see at least one of those Top 10ers man the OF. Otherwise, it's a pretty decent balance. Here's a list of our Top 30 at the present:

Here are the most encouraging things about the current prospects:

1) The hitters from the recent drafts all have decent K/walk ratios - and good on base percentages. Last year our Sox gave up the most walks and earned the fewest in the entire major leagues. Montgomery, Ramos, Burke etc - all know how to control the strike zone and look for good pitches inside the strike zone. As a trend this is a very good sign.

2) The Sox have drafted a lot of pitchers that would have been 1st rounders - except they were out for Tommy John surgery - This is true for Cannon, Pallette and Taylor. Jake Eder a recent acquisition also has had TJ surgery. What I like is there are a lot of Chances for a few of these guys to make a major league rotation in the next two years.

3) As I posted before - there is a bias in prospect rankings to reward youth over age/experience. For instance - Colson Montgomery had a lower rating coming out of HS because he was a 19 year old HS grad - instead of 18. Of course, because of minor league success Montgomery now appears young for his development - so he's a top twenty prospect now. Two older guys - not listed in the top 30 - have a lot of high level SEC baseball experience - they can field their positions and have good eyes for the strike zone - Michael Turner C - age 25 - Turner's development is about to collide with prize C prospect Quero (age 20) in AA. I think there is a good chance Turner jumps Quero and moves to AAA next season - same with 1st baseman Tim Elko who is 24 - I think he might get a AAA assignment next year.