• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.0

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can always tell the White Sox are up to something when things go quiet. Unfortunately - club initiatives won't have to happen prior to Sox Fest - since there is no Sox Fest this year. Still - like the Hollywood cowboy and Indian movies - when it gets quiet around the Sox - all Hell's about to break lose.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can always tell the White Sox are up to something when things go quiet. Unfortunately - club initiatives won't have to happen prior to Sox Fest - since there is no Sox Fest this year. Still - like the Hollywood cowboy and Indian movies - when it gets quiet around the Sox - all Hell's about to break lose.
I'm wondering tho if it's more of just about every team waiting to see who gets non-tendered, which is supposedly going to set a record. I think it takes place on Dec 2nd, but I'm not sure if this is the exact date. In days past we could pretty much just count on the dregs given the heave-ho. But this disruptive covid year elevates the situation to a whole nuther level. There may be some gems out there after the bloodbath, and it wouldn't surprise me if Hahn........and of course the other 29 GMs play a little wait-n-see before the big signings and/or trades begin to unfold.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering tho if it's more of just about every team waiting to see who gets non-tendered, which is supposedly going to set a record. I think it takes place on Dec 2nd, but I'm not sure if this is the exact date. In days past we could pretty much just count on the dregs given the heave-ho. But this disruptive covid year elevates the situation to a whole nuther level. There may be some gems out there after the bloodbath, and it wouldn't surprise me if Hahn........and of course the other 29 GMs play a little wait-n-see before the big signings and/or trades begin to unfold.
Excellent point - my friend.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it Spring Training yet? With a good team - I just can't wait to get started on a serious season of baseball. Go Sox!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of possible non-tenders who would likely be tendered in more normal years, there has been some chatter about the Twins non-tendering Eddie Rosario. I'm quite skeptical of this, but then again it's been one freaky deaky 2020, so I'm not ruling anything out. If he was made available, would you guys take a flier on him? Because I sure as hell would in a heartbeat. While he's primarily a left fielder and defense already not being his strongest suit, the man can otherwise flat out rake. He bats lefty and from '17-'19 he's avgd 30 dingers, and his prorated '20 season would have produced about the same number. As power hitters go he doesn't whiff a ton. Again, he wouldn't be the strongest candidate defensively, but he wouldn't be the weakest either. At the very least he could platoon with Engel, altho I'd try to give this guy as many bats as possible. He's set to earn $11m this season and is a FA for '22. Anyone else in? Let me know so I can call Hahn and have him get ready to pounce.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of possible non-tenders who would likely be tendered in more normal years, there has been some chatter about the Twins non-tendering Eddie Rosario. I'm quite skeptical of this, but then again it's been one freaky deaky 2020, so I'm not ruling anything out. If he was made available, would you guys take a flier on him? Because I sure as hell would in a heartbeat. While he's primarily a left fielder and defense already not being his strongest suit, the man can otherwise flat out rake. He bats lefty and from '17-'19 he's avgd 30 dingers, and his prorated '20 season would have produced about the same number. As power hitters go he doesn't whiff a ton. Again, he wouldn't be the strongest candidate defensively, but he wouldn't be the weakest either. At the very least he could platoon with Engel, altho I'd try to give this guy as many bats as possible. He's set to earn $11m this season and is a FA for '22. Anyone else in? Let me know so I can call Hahn and have him get ready to pounce.
i don't see an average hitter who MIGHT provide an extra few homers a year on an already homer happy team being an essential need. i think $11M can be put to much better use (towards pitching for example).

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't see an average hitter who MIGHT provide an extra few homers a year on an already homer happy team being an essential need. i think $11M can be put to much better use (towards pitching for example).
I still understand that pitching comes first, I've only said it about a dozen times in here. But to ignore RF and/or DH would be doing a disservice to our lineup. I think it's a no brainer that the Sox will address these other needs in some form or manner.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still understand that pitching comes first, I've only said it about a dozen times in here. But to ignore RF and/or DH would be doing a disservice to our lineup. I think it's a no brainer that the Sox will address these other needs in some form or manner.
for me ... if we're going to get a right fielder get a right fielder! it's an important defensive position and we already have an average hitting great defender there. you don't seem to mind exchanging fielding for a few more home runs. i mightily disagree with this.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
odd thing about rosario. he hit 15 triples as a rookie. and 7 in the 5 years that followed!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for me ... if we're going to get a right fielder get a right fielder! it's an important defensive position and we already have an average hitting great defender there. you don't seem to mind exchanging fielding for a few more home runs. i mightily disagree with this.
Fair enough. But I'm not sure there's a pure RF on the market who also bats left AND has a really good glove. Springer would be an excellent signing, even if he does bat RH and primarily plays CF. But he could easily handle RF. The trouble is, he'd be mighty 'spensive. He will likely land the largest contract in this offseason. I'm thinking in likeliness terms, meaning I don't see Springer on the Sox radar just as I don't see Bauer for the rotation. Don't get me wrong, I'd love if we could sign either or both for that matter. And what's the likelihood of that????? LOL - so what I do is look at the alternatives, for which there are many, even if they're not all top-o-the line or fit the mold to a 'T'.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. But I'm not sure there's a pure RF on the market who also bats left AND has a really good glove. Springer would be an excellent signing, even if he does bat RH and primarily plays CF. But he could easily handle RF. The trouble is, he'd be mighty 'spensive. He will likely land the largest contract in this offseason. I'm thinking in likeliness terms, meaning I don't see Springer on the Sox radar just as I don't see Bauer for the rotation. Don't get me wrong, I'd love if we could sign either or both for that matter. And what's the likelihood of that????? LOL - so what I do is look at the alternatives, for which there are many, even if they're not all top-o-the line or fit the mold to a 'T'.
i understand. i just don't think that's a better alternative than what we've got.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i understand. i just don't think that's a better alternative than what we've got.
Hey, if you're satisfied with Engel (who I like) and Mazara (who I don't), have at it. Actually, I'd be kinda ok with a platoon of Engel and Garcia, but only if we exhausted all options. Solid glovework, so-so hitting. We could do worse.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, if you're satisfied with Engel (who I like) and Mazara (who I don't), have at it. Actually, I'd be kinda ok with a platoon of Engel and Garcia, but only if we exhausted all options. Solid glovework, so-so hitting. We could do worse.
tho i hated what mazara did for us, the fact is he had 4 previous years of 20 home runs and 90 rbis in each (same rbi total as rosario). what's more likely ... that he contributes more like what he did 4/5 of the time or that he just forgot completely how to hit. he's at least as good in the field and probably better than rosario and he's a lot cheaper!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tho i hated what mazara did for us, the fact is he had 4 previous years of 20 home runs and 90 rbis in each (same rbi total as rosario). what's more likely ... that he contributes more like what he did 4/5 of the time or that he just forgot completely how to hit. he's at least as good in the field and probably better than rosario and he's a lot cheaper!
Well I suppose if the Sox tender him, then you might just get your wish. I'm hoping for the opposite.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I suppose if the Sox tender him, then you might just get your wish. I'm hoping for the opposite.
i'd hope for the opposite too ... IF ... there was a better alternative out there ( assuming we don't go after springer ... and i'm not sure we should for what he will ask). imo right field is a 'desired' more than a 'need'. we NEED a dh (and if vaughn does what i hope he'll do it'll solve that problem). our biggest need is better starting pitching!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The case for Engle is he hit lefties and righties at the same rate. He will never be a power hitter, but he has made himself into a better hitter right before our eyes and he is a premium defender. If we follow @idseer's logic - sign a one year deal for a top lefty DH and keep Engle in RF - and beef up the starting pitching. I'd personally be happy with that.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The case for Engle is he hit lefties and righties at the same rate. He will never be a power hitter, but he has made himself into a better hitter right before our eyes and he is a premium defender. If we follow @idseer's logic - sign a one year deal for a top lefty DH and keep Engle in RF - and beef up the starting pitching. I'd personally be happy with that.
Had to step away from that tortuous Bears-Packers game. Good friggin grief!! :violin:

I guess based on this scenario you presented Mingo, I'd even be (somewhat) happy too, but the challenge would be where do we find a top lefty DH who's willing to sign for a year? Based on that criteria and also based on availability, the only two names who immediately pop up are Michael Brantley and Joc Pederson. Could never rule either player out, and I've stated in here on a more than one occasion that Brantley in particular makes for a nice fit on this roster. But I suspect neither player is willing to sign just a one year deal, unless the team pickings for each are really slim.

I love Engel, been an open fan of his almost from the day I first began posting on this board. And each year he seems to hit better and better. I'm just not sure if I like him as an everyday player tho. I suppose if we can't find that elusive good hitting/good fielding right fielder, we could certainly do a lot worse than having him patrolling RF.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to step away from that tortuous Bears-Packers game. Good friggin grief!! :violin:

I guess based on this scenario you presented Mingo, I'd even be (somewhat) happy too, but the challenge would be where do we find a top lefty DH who's willing to sign for a year? Based on that criteria and also based on availability, the only two names who immediately pop up are Michael Brantley and Joc Pederson. Could never rule either player out, and I've stated in here on a more than one occasion that Brantley in particular makes for a nice fit on this roster. But I suspect neither player is willing to sign just a one year deal, unless the team pickings for each are really slim.

I love Engel, been an open fan of his almost from the day I first began posting on this board. And each year he seems to hit better and better. I'm just not sure if I like him as an everyday player tho. I suppose if we can't find that elusive good hitting/good fielding right fielder, we could certainly do a lot worse than having him patrolling RF.
We will see how the FA market plays out this year, but I suspect there may be more 1 year deals because of the Covid devastation to the economics of baseball - it might be in the interests of both player and team to sign short term contracts this season (except for the top FAs).

Quit crying about the Bears - I had to watch the Broncos lose with a practice squad WR at QB. :)