• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random NFL talk

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to senior defensive assistant George Edwards and running backs coach Skip Peete, the Cowboys have parted ways with offensive line coach Joe Philbin, assistant defensive line coach Leon Lett, and assistant head coach Rob Davis. Two of the coaches being let go, Philbin and Davis, go way back with McCarthy, so it's strange that they are being let go. Unless this is a sign of things to come...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to senior defensive assistant George Edwards and running backs coach Skip Peete, the Cowboys have parted ways with offensive line coach Joe Philbin, assistant defensive line coach Leon Lett, and assistant head coach Rob Davis. Two of the coaches being let go, Philbin and Davis, go way back with McCarthy, so it's strange that they are being let go. Unless this is a sign of things to come...
Only Jerry knows and he hasn't figured it out just yet. To be continued.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised that no team has hired Sean Payton yet. What is the hold up? Does he want to coach any of these teams or is there a problem with the compensation going back to the Saints?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers hire Frank Reich as HC. It really looked like Wilks deserved the job, but oh well...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers hire Frank Reich as HC. It really looked like Wilks deserved the job, but oh well...

I don't think Reich deserved to be fired in the first place, unless he made the call to start Ehlinger midseason.

Interim guys always seem to get the short end of the stick.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Reich deserved to be fired in the first place, unless he made the call to start Ehlinger midseason.

Interim guys always seem to get the short end of the stick.
True, Most of the time the team hires someone other than the interim HC as the new full time HC. In the last 20+ years, I can only remember a few only interim HCs that got the full time job out of 40-something job openings:
Doug Marrone, Jacksonville
Mike Mularkey, Tennessee
Romeo Crennel, KC
Leslie Frazier, Minny
Jason Garrett, Dallas
Tom Cable, Oakland
Mike Singletary, SF
Mike Tice, Minny

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised that no team has hired Sean Payton yet. What is the hold up? Does he want to coach any of these teams or is there a problem with the compensation going back to the Saints?

It's almost certainly that the Saints are asking for similar to what Oakland got when they traded Gruden.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost certainly that the Saints are asking for similar to what Oakland got when they traded Gruden.
Or it could be that Payton doesn’t like any of the open situations available right now.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, Most of the time the team hires someone other than the interim HC as the new full time HC. In the last 20+ years, I can only remember a few only interim HCs that got the full time job out of 40-something job openings:
Doug Marrone, Jacksonville
Mike Mularkey, Tennessee
Romeo Crennel, KC
Leslie Frazier, Minny
Jason Garrett, Dallas
Tom Cable, Oakland
Mike Singletary, SF
Mike Tice, Minny

And in Tice's situation, the owner was already a cheapskate and was beginning the process of selling the team. At one point he was a head coach making 800K, less than many coordinators at the time.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or it could be that Payton doesn’t like any of the open situations available right now.
You think he was banking THAT hard on the Chargers job coming open? If he didn't like any of the situations, that begs the question of what situation he does like.

If he didn't like the situations (QB, roster, cap, draft), why did he bother going through all the interviews? I guess he could be getting a better feel for each job that way.

I get the feeling that the Saints are asking for quite a bit for Payton's rights--as they should.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think he was banking THAT hard on the Chargers job coming open?

If he didn't like the situations (QB, roster, cap, draft), why did he bother going through all the interviews? I guess he could be getting a better feel for each job that way.

I get the feeling that the Saints are asking for quite a bit for Payton's rights--as they should.
I think there were jobs worth talking to people but maybe not worth him pursuing further. He likely could wait a year and engage in this process again next year.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So not only did the pats use a DC for an OC. They were using a special teams coach as the QB coach.

I am starting to feel bad for ol' Mac N cheese.

No wonder their offense sucked :censored:

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So not only did the pats use a DC for an OC. They were using a special teams coach as the QB coach.

I am starting to feel bad for ol' Mac N cheese.

No wonder their offense sucked :censored:
I think you have to blame Belichick for all of this. At least he had the sense to hire O'Brien back and try to right the ship. I think Mac Jones's ceiling is limited but I don't think he's even close to as bad as this year made it look. The whole Zappe thing definitely gave people the wrong perception, imo.

Big fat Matt with the pencil is just a shitty coach, period. Bill made him OC because he was a shitty DC. The dude shouldn't even be in the NFL, imo.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to blame Belichick for all of this. At least he had the sense to hire O'Brien back and try to right the ship. I think Mac Jones's ceiling is limited but I don't think he's even close to as bad as this year made it look. The whole Zappe thing definitely gave people the wrong perception, imo.

Big fat Matt with the pencil is just a shitty coach, period. Bill made him OC because he was a shitty DC. The dude shouldn't even be in the NFL, imo.
Yep. By adding guys to coach positions they had never coached before he set up his offense, his QB, AND those two coaches for failure.