• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random NFL talk

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles were reportedly told there was some problem with their shade of green locally, I think it might be associated with a local criminal gang or something. But that's a rumor, they would not confirm it. They did have a long call with players where they basically told them not to go out in Brazil due to high crime, and between that and the reports of bad air quality due to wildfires, some players are wondering whether it is even safe to play down there. I've been to Brazil on business and absolutely loved it, I went to plenty of safe and rather luxe spots, but I was guided by locals.
The NFL should have a system in place where they thoroughly investigate every detail of these cities they want to visit and if any of these red flags come up, they give the city a big middle finger and walk away. I know it's strictly another way to put more money in the pockets of the billionaires but it's like they throw a dart at a map and say," Duh, that looks like a good place to play a game."

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles were reportedly told there was some problem with their shade of green locally, I think it might be associated with a local criminal gang or something. But that's a rumor, they would not confirm it. They did have a long call with players where they basically told them not to go out in Brazil due to high crime, and between that and the reports of bad air quality due to wildfires, some players are wondering whether it is even safe to play down there. I've been to Brazil on business and absolutely loved it, I went to plenty of safe and rather luxe spots, but I was guided by locals.
There are soccer fan groups, some only loosely organized, that are as violent as gangs, and soccer is more important in Brazil than any sport is here in the U.S. There’s an intense three-team rivalry in São Paolo (four if you count nearby Santos) and violent confrontations have gotten so bad that you can’t go into a stadium anymore dressed in the colors of the visiting team. You can be sure that Palmeiras fans (green) would take the opportunity to feign support for an NFL team to sport their colors in an enemy stadium. The NFL does not want people killed at their games - and that’s not hyperbole.

That said, the NFL could be huge in Brazil. It’s a good fit otherwise.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are soccer fan groups, some only loosely organized, that are as violent as gangs, and soccer is more important in Brazil than any sport is here in the U.S. There’s an intense three-team rivalry in São Paolo (four if you count nearby Santos) and violent confrontations have gotten so bad that you can’t go into a stadium anymore dressed in the colors of the visiting team. You can be sure that Palmeiras fans (green) would take the opportunity to feign support for an NFL team to sport their colors in an enemy stadium. The NFL does not want people killed at their games - and that’s not hyperbole.

How many deaths would it take for the nfl to give up this charade of foreign money and foreign influence in our country?

Would it change if the death was connected to an owner?

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many deaths would it take for the nfl to give up this charade of foreign money and foreign influence in our country?

I'm trying to figure out what your first sentence means. NFL wants to sell stuff in foreign markets and make even more money. What's the charade?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to figure out what your first sentence means. NFL wants to sell stuff in foreign markets and make even more money. What's the charade?
Right. So how many deaths would it take to end it?

With your answer, you are saying they would cover up the deaths so they could potentially make more money.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. So how many deaths would it take to end it?

With your answer, you are saying they would cover up the deaths so they could potentially make more money.
There would be no covering up such deaths if there were any. Brazil does not have good control over the populace.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nobody likes the Eagles. Why should Brazil be any different :noidea:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There would be no covering up such deaths if there were any. Brazil does not have good control over the populace.
"He had a heart attack in his hotel room. He wasn't butchered in his hotel room by criminals. Please buy advertising and jerseys."

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"He had a heart attack in his hotel room. He wasn't butchered in his hotel room by criminals. Please buy advertising and jerseys."
Hotel room?

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It does sound like Brazil an the NFL could be a good fit but I think the teams matter a lot. I figure this is why Roger Goodell makes a ridiculous amount of money - there is a growth model. Teams should want to be able to sell their swag to the locals and build rapport. The NFL really should have gotten ahead of this and chosen two different teams.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does sound like Brazil an the NFL could be a good fit but I think the teams matter a lot. I figure this is why Roger Goodell makes a ridiculous amount of money - there is a growth model. Teams should want to be able to sell their swag to the locals and build rapport. The NFL really should have gotten ahead of this and chosen two different teams.
All the colors represent some Brazilian team or other (there are dozens of them) so there's no getting away from it really. But once the NFL brand is established and the teams are known the Eagles colors or whoever's will be fine. It's only this early foothold phase that could be dicey.

Brazil has a growing middle-class and is one of the biggest economies in the world.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brazil has a growing middle-class and is one of the biggest economies in the world.
I have heard something about Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa being important in the future.

One of the core arguments behind globalization is that it keeps the peace. Its worth a shot.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you suggesting Jerry go the Brazil game in his finest green suit?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard something about Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa being important in the future.

One of the core arguments behind globalization is that it keeps the peace. Its worth a shot.

Sure, but the logistics involved with most of those locales are prohibitive.

Better have a Griner clause to alert all traveling athletes as to what to pack.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was going to mention BRICS earlier but I figured it would only turn political.