• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams War Room

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they just didn't have the safeties ranked that high

That's right. We didn't consider a safety at 13 because there wasn't one worth picking there. You can't just take a safety because you need one. The Martin move at 13 after taking Robinson is confusing to me too the only explanation is they had Martin rated very high. But when Donald fell it made the choice simple

I mean, I had HaHa rated higher than both those lineman... and had the top WRs rated higher than a lot of players. Players get bumped in stock based on need ALL THE TIME. I fully support the Donald pick, but how are you not even considering that! I would hope if they did trade back that a S would be their target.

Are team got better, but our holes aren't fixed quite yet...

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barret Jones had to straighten out McCarron at the line of scrimmage two years ago in the BCS Championship game against Notre Dame.

It doesn't surprise me in the least he has an attitude (entitlement) problem.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding drafting Robinson and then targeting Martin before Donald dropped to us:

1) Snead and Fisher wanted to stay true to their board in the first round - period.

2) At one of the press conferences it was explained that when our pick at #13 came up our board was stacked this way:

Donald
Martin
Mosley

3) The fact that Snead and Fisher stated that they tried to trade back into the first round for Martin shows that his value was extraordinary as a player with the versatility to play both guard and tackle at the NFL level. It would have solidified our line in case of injury. Long and Saffold have durability issues.

4) You can't assume drafting people anywhere, especially after the first round, are better than players already on the roster with NFL experience. (Jason Smith, etc.) That's the whole philosophy behind the BPA strategy.

5) BPA, according to our board, suggests the odds are Martin was going to be a better pro than anybody else.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding drafting Robinson and then targeting Martin before Donald dropped to us:

1) Snead and Fisher wanted to stay true to their board in the first round - period.

2) At one of the press conferences it was explained that when our pick at #13 came up our board was stacked this way:

Donald
Martin
Mosley

3) The fact that Snead and Fisher stated that they tried to trade back into the first round for Martin shows that his value was extraordinary as a player with the versatility to play both guard and tackle at the NFL level. It would have solidified our line in case of injury. Long and Saffold have durability issues.

4) You can't assume drafting people anywhere, especially after the first round, are better than players already on the roster with NFL experience. (Jason Smith, etc.) That's the whole philosophy behind the BPA strategy.

5) BPA, according to our board, suggests the odds are Martin was going to be a better pro than anybody else.

Good post man. that explains it good:agree:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder when they would've pulled the trigger to move back up into the first to get Martin? how far would he have had a get down. And if they were going to trade back up to get Martin that's not saying too much for B. Jones

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well supposedly they drafted quite a few secondary people in the later rounds that can play both corner and safety in Williams' scheme. So in the Snisher mindset, they have fullfilled all of the Ram's pieces.

We the fans think they failed to get a true saftey, but janitor dude is supposedly filling that need. We also think they did not pick one solitary LB especially a true middle guy to give JL some relief. Apprently they didn't think that was a need.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Donald
Martin
Mosley

I remember reading that the Rams were really impressed with Donald about a month or so ago and that talk just sort of faded. Its not in the least bit surprising that Donald was the highest guy on their board.

I also think Martin represented a dropoff at OL from what pretty much everyone was saying. He was probably the last guy not viewed as a project.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please stop calling Robinson an OG.
Yes, he will probably play there in his rookie season. So what.
He was drafted to anchor LT for 10+ years. Which is why he was taken #2 overall.

Fisher's 1st time taking OL in the 1st round, and you seriously think he drafted an OG #2?
give me a break.

As for Donald - you can go ahead and say bye bye to Langford after this season. He's been a nice role player, but Donald could be a legit playmaker at DT. Rams had a top 10 grade on him and got him at 13. That's how you build a team for prolonged success, not just 'what can you do for me in year 1'.

Safety - not sure if it's his love of Greg Williams or belief in himself since he was a DB, but Fisher seems to want to coach DBs up more so that draft them early. Only so much money to go around, and the Rams look content to have most of their DEF dollars wrapped up in the front 7.

I was also disappointed to see that there wasn't legit competition brought in to push Bradford this season. Seemed like a good year to do that with Mettenburger and Murray going so late. (McCarron can piss off. He doesn't have the arm strength to be good in the NFL)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Donald - you can go ahead and say bye bye to Langford after this season.
They have 2 completely different skillsets. Donald will replace William Hayes and/or Jermelle Cudjo

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have 2 completely different skillsets. Donald will replace William Hayes and/or Jermelle Cudjo

Langford 2015 cap hit - 7MM
Hayes 2015 cap hit - 4.3MM

regardless of skill set, Langford is playing his last season as a Ram unless he restructures his deal.
Cudjo's deal is up after this season anyway, so he's probably not coming back.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Langford 2015 cap hit - 7MM
Hayes 2015 cap hit - 4.3MM

regardless of skill set, Langford is playing his last season as a Ram unless he restructures his deal.
Cudjo's deal is up after this season anyway, so he's probably not coming back.
You might be right about Langford's cap hit. He is a good player but guys who don't rush the passer shouldn't get paid that much. Langford would be smart to restructure, imo. If I'm a defensive lineman who doesn't need to worry about sack totals, I want to be around talented people.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two points:

cougar - Barrett Jones is being groomed as our center after Wells - he can also swing to guard in emergency - Barnes will still be valuable as backup

monkey - agree with you regarding Fisher's draft approach regarding DB's

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please stop calling Robinson an OG.
Yes, he will probably play there in his rookie season. So what.
He was drafted to anchor LT for 10+ years. Which is why he was taken #2 overall.

Fisher's 1st time taking OL in the 1st round, and you seriously think he drafted an OG #2?
give me a break.

As for Donald - you can go ahead and say bye bye to Langford after this season. He's been a nice role player, but Donald could be a legit playmaker at DT. Rams had a top 10 grade on him and got him at 13. That's how you build a team for prolonged success, not just 'what can you do for me in year 1'.

Safety - not sure if it's his love of Greg Williams or belief in himself since he was a DB, but Fisher seems to want to coach DBs up more so that draft them early. Only so much money to go around, and the Rams look content to have most of their DEF dollars wrapped up in the front 7.

I was also disappointed to see that there wasn't legit competition brought in to push Bradford this season. Seemed like a good year to do that with Mettenburger and Murray going so late. (McCarron can piss off. He doesn't have the arm strength to be good in the NFL)

I remember reading that Greg Williams simply doesn't value the safety position that strongly in his system, so they will coach 'em up.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder when they would've pulled the trigger to move back up into the first to get Martin? how far would he have had a get down. And if they were going to trade back up to get Martin that's not saying too much for B. Jones

There was also talk that the Rams were thinking about trading back up for Mosley as well. Maybe it's just all about their board, although I would've loved to add Mosley.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading that Greg Williams simply doesn't value the safety position that strongly in his system, so they will coach 'em up.
Which is totally weird because he has had some good to great safeties throughout his career. His philosophy has likely evolved, too, though

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was also talk that the Rams were thinking about trading back up for Mosley as well. Maybe it's just all about their board, although I would've loved to add Mosley.

Yeah Mosley is a beast but has major durability questions. I think that's why he slipped some. One of the reasons why I wanted Mack with the first pick is I think he could've taken over for JL55 in a couple years.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ McCarron isn't all that, but don't act like Bradford's jock is that big to carry. Bradfords balls have never impressed me. If anything he's protected his vagina very well. :clap: