• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Potential Cap Casualties Next Year

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. DE C. Long Unfortunately he will be a staggering 14.2m cap hit next year. I just don't see resigning him when Hays has out performed him. Problem is Hays is a FA so cut Long and sign Hays and maybe Sims also a FA to a long term contract.

2. QB Nick Foles. Looks like a 8.7m cap hit. I have no idea what they will do with this mess? We are probably stuck with him though because of the dead money?

3. TE J. Cook 8.3m Cap hit. I think its time to move on from the handful of catches he makes a year. A better way cheaper option should be Available.

4. ILB JL55 6.4m Cap hit. A decent hard working long time Ram like Chris Long but they need to move on.

Im not a Cap expert but it looks like we can save around 23m just by cutting Long, Cook, and JL55. If we will be drafting around 18th in the draft maybe grab the Best ILB for a much needed upgrade and cheaper replacement for JL55. Then grab a TE (Replaces Cook) and a Stud Center in the 2nd. We should be able to resign Hays and some key guys on D with the money we save. Anyone else Im forgetting?

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its too bad we cant add you to this list!

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. DE C. Long Unfortunately he will be a staggering 14.2m cap hit next year. I just don't see resigning him when Hays has out performed him. Problem is Hays is a FA so cut Long and sign Hays and maybe Sims also a FA to a long term contract.

2. QB Nick Foles. Looks like a 8.7m cap hit. I have no idea what they will do with this mess? We are probably stuck with him though because of the dead money?

3. TE J. Cook 8.3m Cap hit. I think its time to move on from the handful of catches he makes a year. A better way cheaper option should be Available.

4. ILB JL55 6.4m Cap hit. A decent hard working long time Ram like Chris Long but they need to move on.

Im not a Cap expert but it looks like we can save around 23m just by cutting Long, Cook, and JL55. If we will be drafting around 18th in the draft maybe grab the Best ILB for a much needed upgrade and cheaper replacement for JL55. Then grab a TE (Replaces Cook) and a Stud Center in the 2nd. We should be able to resign Hays and some key guys on D with the money we save. Anyone else Im forgetting?

I could see Long restructuring his deal to come back. Foles I think is definitely gone. Cook I wish would go but since he's a Fisher guy, he'll stick around. As for Laurinaitis, I wish his talent matched his intensity and willpower to keep playing. He's the question mark that I'm not sure what they'll do with.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Long restructuring his deal to come back. Foles I think is definitely gone. Cook I wish would go but since he's a Fisher guy, he'll stick around. As for Laurinaitis, I wish his talent matched his intensity and willpower to keep playing. He's the question mark that I'm not sure what they'll do with.

correct me if im wrong but didn't long restructure his current deal a couple of years ago?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
correct me if im wrong but didn't long restructure his current deal a couple of years ago?

I think your right. Does that mean you can't do it again? For real though unless he wants to play for 5m or less im cutting him. We really would have a lot of Cap room cutting these guys.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem with Foles is I don't think we can cut him. It would still count against the Cap. Probably have to wait till 2017. but hopefully he will pull it together next training camp and win the job back.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I honestly don't remember. He could have.

The problem with Foles is I don't think we can cut him. It would still count against the Cap. Probably have to wait till 2017. but hopefully he will pull it together next training camp and win the job back.

Since this is his 4th year in the league, don't we have the option to renew his contract for a 5th year? So wouldn't we be able to cut him without any consequences against the cap if we don't want to keep him? I remember doing something similar for guys like Quinn and then just negotiated a long term deal later.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't remember. He could have.

Since this is his 4th year in the league, don't we have the option to renew his contract for a 5th year? So wouldn't we be able to cut him without any consequences against the cap if we don't want to keep him? I remember doing something similar for guys like Quinn and then just negotiated a long term deal later.

No we gave him a new deal at the beginning of the year. So a brand new contract. Yes before he actually played in a game. Not real smart on Fisher's part. I believe we will be able to do the 5 th year with Brockers though.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long only has 1 year left on his contract, so there is no point in restructuring his deal. But they can ask him to take a pay cut & cut him if he doesn't. Cutting Long only saves $12 mil because there is a $2.5 mil cap hit from when he previously restructure his contract.

Cutting Cook only saves you about $5.7 mil because of singing bonuses & restructure bonuses hitting the cap.

Cutting Laurinatis would save you about $6 mil. But I think he is more than worth his salary. His 2016 cap hit ranks him #13 at this point. I would wait to cut til after 2016.

I would cut Foles in a heartbeat if you have a plan in place to replace him. Cutting him saves you $6.75 mil.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol maybe the Eagles will swap Foles for Sam?? No they aren't that dumb….

Alright lets be reasonable here... if you want to discuss CAP casualties in 2016 you have to look at the players "Dead Money" or "CAP Hit" if they are cut. The players on this team that currently have a "Zero CAP Hit in 2016" are the following;

1)Micheal Brockers- (his 2016 CAP# is $6,146,000 with 0 in dead money) This is a BARGAIN!, No way we cut him!

2) Kenny Britt- (his 2016 CAP# is $4,850,000 with 0 in dead money) He should be cut!!

3) Akeem Ayers-(his 2016 CAP# is $3,000,000 with 0 in dead money) This is a BARGAIN!, No way we cut him!

Ok now lets look at players that have a "Dead Money" value attached;

1) Chris Long-( He is scheduled to make $14,250,000 in 2016) This is a HUGE pay year for him! His Dead Money value is only $2,500,000. My guess is he will be released!

2)Nick Foles-( He is scheduled to make $8,750,000 in 2016) Which isn't really that much for an average qb at best qb. On the other hand Foles CAP hit is $8,000,000. So why would we release him when we are paying him less than average salary for a qb? In 2017, Foles is scheduled to make $13,250,000 with only $1,000,000 CAP hit! If he sucks in 2016 he will definitely be cut in 2017! Sorry Coog!

3)Jared Cook-(don't let the door hit you in the ass!)(This knucklehead is scheduled to make $8,300,000 in 2016! and $8,400,000 in 2017! There is NO WAY he is worth even a fraction of that! His CAP HIT in 2016 is $2,600,000! I can pretty much say he will be the first to go!

4) James Laurainitis- (He is scheduled to make $6,425,000 in 2016) He also has a CAP Hit of $900,000. To me 6.4 mill for an average/experienced MLB isn't that much! I really believe he will be a RAM in 2016! I will be surprised if we cut him!

5)Roger Saffold- This is a tough one. He is scheduled to make $6,000,000 in 2016. His CAP Hit# is $3,000,000 if released. He is signed through 2018! I believe we will absorb dead $$ in each of his contract years if we cut him now. SO if that's the case we should probably just keep him for now and hope he can stay healthy.

6) Lance Kendricks- He is scheduled to make $4,500,000 in 2016 with a CAP Hit of $1,250,000. Question is, is he really worth this? He disappears a lot in games and IMO our TE's suck period! I say lets just cut ties with him and begin our search for a stud TE!

Alright Cougie before you go spouting off on where I got my numbers from.......here you go

St. Louis Rams Salary Cap - Over the Cap

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to bring back several of these guys ASAP!

1) Nick Fairly- if the price is right
2) Mark Barron- priority
3) William Hayes- priority
4) Trumaine Johnson- priority
5) Rodney McCloud- priority
6) Eugene Sims- priority
7) Janoris Jenkins- if the price is right
8) Tim Barnes
9) Benny Cunningham
10) Wes Welker - if the price is right

there are others
1) Case Keenum
2) Corey Harkey
3) Brian Quick
4) Chase Reynolds
5) Greg Zuerlien
6) Darren Bates
7) Cody Davis

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many of these guys will re-sign on their own right before camp unless some team offers them major bucks. Cody Davis, Harkey, and Chase Reynolds come to mind.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a pretty good chance that Sundays game vs the 49ers could very well be Chris Longs last game as a RAM! He has been a solid leader for this team for a long time! Would love to see him come back(could happen) every year we lose a veteran or 2 as a casualty.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long only has 1 year left on his contract, so there is no point in restructuring his deal. But they can ask him to take a pay cut & cut him if he doesn't. Cutting Long only saves $12 mil because there is a $2.5 mil cap hit from when he previously restructure his contract.

Cutting Cook only saves you about $5.7 mil because of singing bonuses & restructure bonuses hitting the cap.

Cutting Laurinatis would save you about $6 mil. But I think he is more than worth his salary. His 2016 cap hit ranks him #13 at this point. I would wait to cut til after 2016.

I would cut Foles in a heartbeat if you have a plan in place to replace him. Cutting him saves you $6.75 mil.

I agree with you and I did figure in dead cap space. we came up with the same figure a whopping 23m in cap space room. But are you sure about Foles?? cutting him next year shows 9m in dead cap space? thats why i don't think we can cut him.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you and I did figure in dead cap space. we came up with the same figure a whopping 23m in cap space room. But are you sure about Foles?? cutting him next year shows 9m in dead cap space? thats why i don't think we can cut him.

It doesn't matter, he (Foles) will be your qb next year, so just deal with it! Sammy will probably end up in Cleveland!! :hurt::hurt::hurt::hurt::hurt:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright lets be reasonable here... if you want to discuss CAP casualties in 2016 you have to look at the players "Dead Money" or "CAP Hit" if they are cut. The players on this team that currently have a "Zero CAP Hit in 2016" are the following;

1)Micheal Brockers- (his 2016 CAP# is $6,146,000 with 0 in dead money) This is a BARGAIN!, No way we cut him!

2) Kenny Britt- (his 2016 CAP# is $4,850,000 with 0 in dead money) He should be cut!!

3) Akeem Ayers-(his 2016 CAP# is $3,000,000 with 0 in dead money) This is a BARGAIN!, No way we cut him!

Ok now lets look at players that have a "Dead Money" value attached;

1) Chris Long-( He is scheduled to make $14,250,000 in 2016) This is a HUGE pay year for him! His Dead Money value is only $2,500,000. My guess is he will be released!

2)Nick Foles-( He is scheduled to make $8,750,000 in 2016) Which isn't really that much for an average qb at best qb. On the other hand Foles CAP hit is $8,000,000. So why would we release him when we are paying him less than average salary for a qb? In 2017, Foles is scheduled to make $13,250,000 with only $1,000,000 CAP hit! If he sucks in 2016 he will definitely be cut in 2017! Sorry Coog!

3)Jared Cook-(don't let the door hit you in the ass!)(This knucklehead is scheduled to make $8,300,000 in 2016! and $8,400,000 in 2017! There is NO WAY he is worth even a fraction of that! His CAP HIT in 2016 is $2,600,000! I can pretty much say he will be the first to go!

4) James Laurainitis- (He is scheduled to make $6,425,000 in 2016) He also has a CAP Hit of $900,000. To me 6.4 mill for an average/experienced MLB isn't that much! I really believe he will be a RAM in 2016! I will be surprised if we cut him!

5)Roger Saffold- This is a tough one. He is scheduled to make $6,000,000 in 2016. His CAP Hit# is $3,000,000 if released. He is signed through 2018! I believe we will absorb dead $$ in each of his contract years if we cut him now. SO if that's the case we should probably just keep him for now and hope he can stay healthy.

6) Lance Kendricks- He is scheduled to make $4,500,000 in 2016 with a CAP Hit of $1,250,000. Question is, is he really worth this? He disappears a lot in games and IMO our TE's suck period! I say lets just cut ties with him and begin our search for a stud TE!

Alright Cougie before you go spouting off on where I got my numbers from.......here you go

St. Louis Rams Salary Cap - Over the Cap

Zeke we agree on most of this.

1. yes Long has to go.

2. Thats what i was saying about Foles we can't cut him because their is to much dead cap space.
3. Cook. yes cut him for sure.

4. JL55. YES JL55 contract really isn't to bad for a starting ILB. BUT the truth is he sucks and he has for a couple years now. we need to move on and draft a stud for a cheaper price. period. he is ranked 83rd at LB this year by PFF. 83rd guys. he could play for free i would still cut him sorry.

5. Saffold. agree not a bad price for a vet OL. hopefully he will be healthy next year. he's solid when healthy.

6. Kendrick's. I think I keep him for the 3.5m but with cutting Cookie we need to draft a stud TE for sure.

7. I don't think they cut Britt. he's our #1 WR right now and thats not to much money for that. not to mention if we draft a rookie WR he will be able to show him the ropes.

Last edited:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Case Kennum is something no one is really talking about. He's a FA NEXT YEAR!! Which means after the 49er game we actually don't have a QB unless you count poopey pants Foles. my point is Kennum has the Rams by the balls and could demand a pretty high contract if they want him back. this is pretty messed up.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zeke we agree on most of this.

1. yes Long has to go.

2. Thats what i was saying about Foles we can't cut him because their is to much dead cap space.
3. Cook. yes cut him for sure.

4. JL55. YES JL55 contract really isn't to bad for a starting ILB. BUT the truth is he sucks and he has for a couple years now. we need to move on and draft a stud for a cheaper price. period. he is ranked 83rd at LB this year by PFF. 83rd guys. he could play for free i would still cut him sorry.

5. Saffold. agree not a bad price for a vet OL. hopefully he will be healthy next year. he's solid when healthy.

6. Kendrick's. I think I keep him for the 3.5m but with cutting Cookie we need to draft a stud TE for sure.

7. I don't think they cut Britt. he's our #1 WR right now and thats not to much money for that. not to mention if we draft a rookie WR he will be able to show him the ropes.

No way we cut JL55 because we have too many other holes to fill! Cutting him only adds to mess! He isn't great but he is average plus he knows our system and he is a team captain! Plus 6.4 mill isn't a huge number to pay! Plus we only need an average MLB at best to play behind this great d-line. If anything we need to focus on offense. We do need Nick Fairly, Eugene Sims and William Hayes back especially with Long leaving.

Over the Cap is showing that Kendricks is scheduled to make $4.5 mill in 2016! I don't think he is worth it! Just my opinion though, if we do anything at TE we should bring back Cory Harky as he is a great blocker! Lets draft a stud TE that can do it all, or look at free agency! Every great team has a stud TE! Kendricks will never be great.

IMO, Kenny Britt sucks!...$4.8 mill in 2016 ??.... To me that's too much!.... When has he ever done anything since he's been here! Same with Cook! Lets get rid of these Titan rejects! We have no inside/outside threat at receiver period! Our #1 priority this offseason I hope is to bring in a new #1 WR as well as a stud TE! Don't forget our offense is last in the league in a lot of categories! We need help and we already have a few pieces in place!

Roger Saffold is beginning to piss me off! Every year it seems this team has just pure bad luck when it comes to o-lineman. Just after we sign him long term, he slacks off or frequently gets hurt! There were times where he looks great then goes on IR, AKA Sammy Bradford!.... Had to throw that in there Coog!.... We need to somehow add a veteran tackle to the mix of our very young line! Plus hope that Saffold can return to form! We need experience! Whom ever that maybe? Hell maybe they should take a look at 7 time pro bowler Jason Peters! Maybe Foles will put a bug in Fishers ear!! Sign em!!

As far as Case Keenum they need someone as a back up. They should re sign him and also look at RG3! Wouldn't that be something if RG3 came here and actually played well? Imagine adding Peters, RG3 a stud TE and a new #1wr with the mix of Gurley, Austin? Can you say play offs??