• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams post game , still competing ?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look RR could be a bad hire . Can’t say that he isn’t but he should get more then 5 games to get his players , his system and his culture in place
Duke has said he’d give him more than 5 games.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look RR had nothing to do with the cap or draft picks he inherited .
This is true but he obviously botched the Williams issue and certainly we could have gotten a better return. He actually inherited a healthy cap. He chose to keep an under peforming and over the hill Kerrigan. He chose to keep a 20 million dollar 3rd string QB in Alex Smith. Those are his decisions.

He had nothing to do with COVID . Agreed

He and the team had no off season . Agreed, but neither did any other teams.

He doesn’t Hire the GM.
Agreed...he is the defacto GM per Snyder. If he didn't want the responsibility, he should not have taken the job or demanded a GM be hired to assist him rebuild the team like Andy Reid did in KC.

He had nothing to do with not paying partners or the sex scandal.
Agreed but what did that have to do with his terrible offseason strategy? None of that was brought to light until about a month before the season started. It has nothing to do with on the field play.

What he did do was offer more money to cooper then the boys but was turned down .
That is true...but what was plan B? Inman? A good leader knows things do not always go according to plan.

He offered more money to Hooper then the browns but he chose them .
That is true...again, what was plan B? Logan Thomas? If that is the case we are in serious trouble for future free agent decisions.

But after 5 games you lay this at the feet of cancer ridden RR ?
The offseason decisions, yes.....it had nothing to do with his cancer diagnosis. Coaching is impacted by his treatments. As a person with a current family member with cancer, my heart goes out to him and I wish him a speed recovery. However, the items that should concern all of us happened months before any symptoms or diagnosises were made. He said that he was in the best health and shape of his life when diagnosed.

Can’t say that he isn’t but he should get more then 5 games to get his players , his system and his culture in place.
What is his culture and what is his system? Is it the system that got him 3 winning seasons in 9? If so, I am not interested. His hiring of Scott Turner should have been a warning flag. He didn't even bring in his players except Davis. Why didn't he bring in Bradberry? Bradberry has graded out as the top CB in the NFL through Week 6. This appears to be yet another miss on Rivera.

I do not have a video game mentality. I simply ask we address major holes each year (3 to4). Change can take time but that is not the case each time. There have been several teams in a dumpster fire and there was a 1 year turn around:

Andy Reid's first year in KC in 2013, they went 11-5. They brought in Reid and John Dorsey to fix the team. The 2012 Chiefs were a mess and were 2-14
Sean McVays first year in LA in 2017, they went 11-5. The 2016 LA Rams were 4-12 and have one of the worst owners in sports in Stan Kronkie.

There are other examples as well so stop claiming that I have a video game mentality when quick turn arounds do happen. I presented facts to you but they get in the way of your agenda.
Agree with ya here Duke.

I would add that I don’t think Dad has any agenda, he just believes in his opinion as strongly as you believe in yours.

Both of you know FB and back your opinions with facts.

I’m quite enjoying watching you both make excellent points!

cheers and HTTR!

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke has said he’d give him more than 5 games.
Correct.

He needs more than 5 games as a coach obviously.
I think the best case scenerio is to hire a GM in the offseason like Louis Riddick. Perhaps Jason Wright can influence Dan/RR in attempting to run the team as a traditional NFL franchise. Perhaps RR realizes that he needs to focus on coaching and let the GM bring in the talent and work with them to accomphish this.

I could even give RR one more offseason as the "one voice" for the team. If he botches next offseason, then we are in trouble and further complicating the rebuild. Its much tougher to bring in talent/sign quality FAs/draft wisely then to coach. In other words, its harder to build a roster than to coach on the field.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams were over confident in that game. Why in the hell did you all Bench Haskins? To save him from the beating? Or just let the tanking begin?

b/c he stinks.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one game will not make a difference when you need to replace 23 plus players to field a competitive team . its fools gold . we cant win a superbowl with this team and taking an 8 win or less team means we are truly mediocre

i would be embarrassed winning a division with 6 or 7 wins even 8 because a playoff team means a certain level of excellence not a participation trophy

now we dont need to tank but lets be real as to what we are

thats crazy why turn down a playoff game?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As was said many times we knew going in that the team had a lot of question marks and was short of talent in many places ... including QB.

I agree with Duke that the team should have a designated GM. Joe Gibbs was a great, great coach. He was mediocre as a GM although he did not have that official title. He was a big reason why Bobby Bethard left.

I don't agree we needed 4 FAs this year. Let them coach, let them figure out what they had. Your opinion is fine but you aren't anymore hired as an NFL GM than I am as a coach.

They weren't going to get a ton for Williams. He said he didn't want to be here and would sit out. RK has half a sack less than Young and one less than Sweat and plays half as much. No, he isn't as good as two or three years about but they let him play out the last year of his contract. What is the harm? Were you really going to pay $34 million in dead cap space for Smith this year if you cut him?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points Sportster. Always love your insights.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats crazy why turn down a playoff game?
Who said turn it down ? I said you aren’t a real playoff team with 8 wins or less and it’s an embarrassment

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QUOTE="deanpet21, post: 15355453, member: 5860"]
b/c he stinks.
[/QUOTE]
And we know this after 3hcs in a calendar yr and less then 3000 snaps

He is raw but then again the WFT fucks up another draft pick do to mismanagement

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As was said many times we knew going in that the team had a lot of question marks and was short of talent in many places ... including QB.

I agree with Duke that the team should have a designated GM. Joe Gibbs was a great, great coach. He was mediocre as a GM although he did not have that official title. He was a big reason why Bobby Bethard left.

I don't agree we needed 4 FAs this year. Let them coach, let them figure out what they had. Your opinion is fine but you aren't anymore hired as an NFL GM than I am as a coach.

They weren't going to get a ton for Williams. He said he didn't want to be here and would sit out. RK has half a sack less than Young and one less than Sweat and plays half as much. No, he isn't as good as two or three years about but they let him play out the last year of his contract. What is the harm? Were you really going to pay $34 million in dead cap space for Smith this year if you cut him?

I am stating that FAs would have helped solve the most important question we have. Is Dwayne Haskins our QB of the future? We could have addressed that question with confidence with the appropriate help correct? At this time, we do not know because he never had the proper support. That will always be the what if with Haskins. Is he not an NFL starting QB OR did he not have the supporting cast to be successful. An average to above average TE, LG, WR and LT would have helped us answer this question. We know he is immature yes, but could he have succeeded with decent help?

I am not trying to change your mind but am confused at the "figure what they had" comment. What does that mean?
They literally had the worst offense in 2019 so I what is there to evaluate? RR knew he had the 2nd worst team in the NFL and the worst offense in the NFL so I am confused why he or anyone else would want to take a year to confirm what everyone already knows. Does that make sense?

This is a solid article that sums up how I see the situation.

Also, I found this to be a great article as well. While I do not agree with the Cam Newton or AP portions, the TE, Williams and WR section I agree 100%.

With Smith, I do not see the point of having him on the roster to be honest. I am not sure if a restructire was attempted or are we just going to pay him 21 million to sit on the bench. I am not a cap guy but if we cut him next year, it looks like the cap figure goes down?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am stating that FAs would have helped solve the most important question we have. Is Dwayne Haskins our QB of the future? We could have addressed that question with confidence with the appropriate help correct? At this time, we do not know because he never had the proper support. That will always be the what if with Haskins. Is he not an NFL starting QB OR did he not have the supporting cast to be successful. An average to above average TE, LG, WR and LT would have helped us answer this question. We know he is immature yes, but could he have succeeded with decent help?

I am not trying to change your mind but am confused at the "figure what they had" comment. What does that mean?
They literally had the worst offense in 2019 so I what is there to evaluate? RR knew he had the 2nd worst team in the NFL and the worst offense in the NFL so I am confused why he or anyone else would want to take a year to confirm what everyone already knows. Does that make sense?

This is a solid article that sums up how I see the situation.

Also, I found this to be a great article as well. While I do not agree with the Cam Newton or AP portions, the TE, Williams and WR section I agree 100%.

With Smith, I do not see the point of having him on the roster to be honest. I am not sure if a restructire was attempted or are we just going to pay him 21 million to sit on the bench. I am not a cap guy but if we cut him next year, it looks like the cap figure goes down?

Duke we had cap issues preventing us from signing top tier guys and the 2 we went for said no to us .

So if you don’t have the cap and they won’t sign , I don’t know what you can do

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you restructure Smith ? His first 2 years are fully guaranteed and a restructure requires non guaranteed money to become guaranteed . So there is no cap relief

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here are the numbers

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of the reasons I ragged on the deal . It was stupid

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke we had cap issues preventing us from signing top tier guys and the 2 we went for said no to us .

So if you don’t have the cap and they won’t sign , I don’t know what you can do
We had the 6th highest cap room as of 4/12. We could have traded Kerrigan or cut him to obtain 12 million more. Granted FA started almost a month prior to that.

That is plenty. We never appeared to have back up plans and that is a result of poor planning/strategy. Cap room was there and there was room for more obviously. Its a miss on Smith and RR. We can keep arguing all day but all I see are excuses. I get it, we as a fan base are getting very good at excuses but sometimes it is what it is.

Bottom line, the 2020 offseason was a failure and possibly set the team back another year or two. FA should have had a draft like board in that if you miss on your guy you go to plan B.

You mean to tell me that the plan B TE was Logan Thomas?
You mean to tell me the plan B WR was Dontrelle Inman?

If this is the case, Smith should be fired for incompitence.

Last edited:

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you restructure Smith ? His first 2 years are fully guaranteed and a restructure requires non guaranteed money to become guaranteed . So there is no cap relief

Then we we have to cut him in 2021 when it goes down. Lesson learned. We can't keep 3rd string players on the roster and pay them 20 million dollars.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then we we have to cut him in 2021 when it goes down. Lesson learned. We can't keep 3rd string players on the roster and pay them 20 million dollars.
And eat the 10.8 mil , you have no choice

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had the 6th highest cap room as of 4/12. We could have traded Kerrigan or cut him to obtain 12 million more. Granted FA started almost a month prior to that.

Not when you rag scherf
That is plenty. We never appeared to have back up plans and that is a result of poor planning/strategy. Cap room was there and there was room for more obviously. Its a miss on Smith and RR. We can keep arguing all day but all I see are excuses. I get it, we as a fan base are getting very good at excuses but sometimes it is what it is.

Bottom line, the 2020 offseason was a failure and possibly set the team back another year or two. FA should have had a draft like board in that if you miss on your guy you go to plan B.

Not when you tag scherf and sign fuller, that’s all you had . What we did do was sign a bunch of stop gaps ,kept RK so we had very good cap room in 2021

Now who would you have signed that would have made us a Super Bowl team ?

Cooper ,Hooper and whom else ?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Name better ones for he cost

Are you kidding me duke what star players do you get for 23.8 mil ? 6th most ? That stat is useless

Now I am sorry but cutting RK and using up every bit of 23.8 mil to go maybe 9-7 isn’t very smart and of course we have no names of who was out there that we could get

We signed a bunch of guys to cheap deals that. We can get out of very quickly with little to no cap hits and thats a horrible strategy long term ?

Last edited:

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said turn it down ? I said you aren’t a real playoff team with 8 wins or less and it’s an embarrassment

Didn't the Steelers win the Super Bowl at 9-7? Doesn't matter how you get there as long as you get there.