• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams pick 10th

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
icefreeze, the only reason we will need to draft linemen in THIS draft is the fact that as of March 1, we will have exactly FOUR linemen on the roster. Long,Wells,Person,Barksdale,Barnes and Washington will all be gone. That leaves us with Robinson,Saffold,Jones and Van Dyk. Even signing Iupati or Wisnewski still requires us to get AT LEAST two linemen.
As for Robinson, do I think we could have done just as well trading down and still getting Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan or Juwan James? Yes. Do I think Robinson was held back by not focusing on learning OG in the preseason? Yes. Do I think he will still be a Pro Bowl OT?? Yes.
And you say when will management figure out we're not good enough for projects?? Who do you propose we draft at 10 that is NOT a project?? Both of the top LB are 3-4 LB's who would need to learn to play in a 4-3. Both QB's have issues and putting a rookie QB behind this O line would be team suicide. We do not need the DE's at the top of the draft. That leaves the O Line. It is the biggest need that makes the most sense at the spot we are drafting.

I mean to any of you people see where the Dallas Cowboys are right now?? They are 12-4 and in the playoffs. WHY?? Because they built a STUD offensive line over 3 seasons. Not really sure why people cannot see that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean to any of you people see where the Dallas Cowboys are right now?? They are 12-4 and in the playoffs. WHY?? Because they built a STUD offensive line over 3 seasons. Not really sure why people cannot see that.
Because they also have Tony Romo and Dez Bryant. The difference between Tony Romo and the guys we had at QB this year is night and day.

But yeah, Id say there is at least a 50% chance the Rams will be picking an offensive linemen in the first round.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack is going to have the better career but the Rams oline would've been a trainwreck without Robinson. The Rams need at OLB isnt anywhere close to the need that the Rams would've had without Robinson at LT. Also, lets not forget that Ogletree was a first round pick drafted recently.

I agree. I wanted Mack so bad and he is an absolute beast but Robinson was a much bigger need.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack is going to have the better career but the Rams oline would've been a trainwreck without Robinson. The Rams need at OLB isnt anywhere close to the need that the Rams would've had without Robinson at LT. Also, lets not forget that Ogletree was a first round pick drafted recently.

It already was a wreck, we could've drafted Oline in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. There were very good OL prospects going in the 2nd and the 3rd round!

And yes Ogletree was a late first round pick very recently, but if we drafted Mack, we wouldn't have an OLB need this season (which the class is kinda weak imo. Beasley in the 1st is a good player, but I don't think we can fill that need later on)

Instead of Joyner and Mason (who I like - Joyner was kinda early but whatever) we could've grabbed players like Weston Richburg (who is doing well in New York - started 15 games - and could be our longterm answer at Center, another position we need to fix this offseason) and then in the 3rd draft Gabe Jackson (who played well in Oakland and oh btw - Oakland got three starters in their first three rounds)

Then our draft would've been
Mack
Donald
Richburg
Jackson

Two defensive long term (at least they both look like long term starters, both were up for DROY and oh that thing called the Pro Bowl!)
And two offensive starters on the interior line! Because it also kinda seems like (and I hate to tell you I told you so) that Robinson will play OG when we draft a new potential long term left tackle.

Now going into this year we could've been in a much better spot!

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean to any of you people see where the Dallas Cowboys are right now?? They
are 12-4 and in the playoffs. WHY?? Because they built a STUD offensive line
over 3 seasons. Not really sure why people cannot see that.

Dez is making circus catches too. And Demarco isn't shabby.

More of a commitment from Linehan and Garrett to be a run first team as well.

The Oline helps no doubt. It's all about a few beasts on the Oline and finding good stop gap players to fill out the rest.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why do you think Tony Romo went from a guy who put up numbers but lost to a guy who put up numbers and lead his team to wins?? Because DeMarco Murray got loose this year THANKS TO THE OFFENSIVE LINE!!!!!!!!

If you put those 3 Dallas linemen with Robinson and Saffold, Austin Davis succeeds and we are not talking of IF we keep Bradford or draft Winston or Mariota. Tre Mason and/or Zac Stacy succeed. Robinson succeeds because he would have ZERO pressure to be THE GUY.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
icefreeze, the only reason we will need to draft linemen in THIS draft is the fact that as of March 1, we will have exactly FOUR linemen on the roster. Long,Wells,Person,Barksdale,Barnes and Washington will all be gone. That leaves us with Robinson,Saffold,Jones and Van Dyk. Even signing Iupati or Wisnewski still requires us to get AT LEAST two linemen.
As for Robinson, do I think we could have done just as well trading down and still getting Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan or Juwan James? Yes. Do I think Robinson was held back by not focusing on learning OG in the preseason? Yes. Do I think he will still be a Pro Bowl OT?? Yes.
And you say when will management figure out we're not good enough for projects?? Who do you propose we draft at 10 that is NOT a project?? Both of the top LB are 3-4 LB's who would need to learn to play in a 4-3. Both QB's have issues and putting a rookie QB behind this O line would be team suicide. We do not need the DE's at the top of the draft. That leaves the O Line. It is the biggest need that makes the most sense at the spot we are drafting.

I agree with most of the things here. I think our line could be stronger today if we passed on Robinson in the 1st and spent 2nd and 3rd round picks on OLine (read the post I just made). And then if we can get one of the top OT this season we could have a very touted OLine.

The projects comments I made were in reference to Robinson and Austin picks. Having Schotty is going to ruin Austin. We need a real OC that can be creative and make plays to utilize Austin properly.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why do you think Tony Romo went from a guy who put up numbers but lost to a
guy who put up numbers and lead his team to wins?? Because DeMarco Murray got
loose this year THANKS TO THE OFFENSIVE LINE!!!!!!!!

Again, it's been a commitment from Linehan and Garrett to be a run first team as well.

The Cowboys have been a pass happy team the past few years, which is why Romo got killed so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It already was a wreck, we could've drafted Oline in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. There were very good OL prospects going in the 2nd and the 3rd round!

And yes Ogletree was a late first round pick very recently, but if we drafted Mack, we wouldn't have an OLB need this season (which the class is kinda weak imo. Beasley in the 1st is a good player, but I don't think we can fill that need later on)

Instead of Joyner and Mason (who I like - Joyner was kinda early but whatever) we could've grabbed players like Weston Richburg (who is doing well in New York - started 15 games - and could be our longterm answer at Center, another position we need to fix this offseason) and then in the 3rd draft Gabe Jackson (who played well in Oakland and oh btw - Oakland got three starters in their first three rounds)

Then our draft would've been
Mack
Donald
Richburg
Jackson

Two defensive long term (at least they both look like long term starters, both were up for DROY and oh that thing called the Pro Bowl!)
And two offensive starters on the interior line! Because it also kinda seems like (and I hate to tell you I told you so) that Robinson will play OG when we draft a new potential long term left tackle.

Now going into this year we could've been in a much better spot!

MY God Mack & Donald :nod:

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK... so then let's look at this. If we are sitting at #10 and Winston is gone, what if we went with someone like Bernardrick McKinney at #10 and then drafted O line in the 2nd and 3rd?? Then look at Jake Locker,Christian Ponder etc as a backup to Bradford and draft a QB like Sean Mannion, Jake Waters or Shane Carden in the 5th round??

By the way, I agree with Austin. I agree with that to a point that I might consider dealing him for picks unless we make a change at OC.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Want to know what upsets me about this talk? We're discussing that there is a VERY good chance we'll draft an OLineman again.
This off season is driving me CRAZY and it hardly even started! Let me copy a rant I made somewhere else.

"Good job fortifying the line Robison. Oh wait... We need to spend ANOTHER first round pick this year???
Good thing we didn't spend the second overall pick on a player like Mack, I'd hate it if our linebacking core was set. Because OLB is a need again this season. Damn Robison is probably the worse performing offensive lineman from the first round last year! When will the management figure out we're not good enough to draft projects no matter how high the upside. They'll never reach their potential on a team like ours is, we're not the Pats or the Packers or even the Steelers. We've been one of the bottom 3 teams over the past decade. We take chances on projects without a growing environment. The front office needs to make a lot of changes with how the handle this off-season."

:lame: You criticize Robinson but you say nothing about Jake Long and Scott Wells.:pound:
If you ask me, they were brought here on BIG Contracts and BTW are still under contract and please ask yourself? What have they done other than get our qb killed? ...Not much!! ...Cant stay on the field and when they are on the field....they suck! So now they will be cut to save $$. and we have more holes to fill. But that's ok, keep pointing the finger at Robinson! .....There I feel better now!:suds:

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Past 4 Years the Cowboys drafts 3 OL in the 1st Round

Tyron Smith - one of the top OTs in the league
Then didn't draft an linemen
Travis Fredrick - has started every game of his career for the Cowboys after the traded up to take the top center in the draft at the end of the 1st and he was selected to all Rookie Team
Zach Martin - no comment needed - he's been talked about very favorably this year

In that same time period we took one OL before day 3.... Greg Robinson. A player touted for his potential but with lots of questions about his ability to be a complete tackle in the league....

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the 3 things we are going to see over and over again in mock drafts:

1. L'ael Collins. He is a stud run blocking prospect who can play RT or G and he is from an SEC school. Fits the Rams need and draft style.

2. Kevin White. He is a WR with good route running and is decently physical and he comes from West Virginia so he first the Rams need and draft style.

3. Trading down. There will be defensive prospects falling to 10 (like Gregory, Beasley or Ray) and the Rams dont need pass rushers. This is the type of thing the Rams do anyways and they might be able to trade down to get one of the top 2 players mentioned.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lamende.gif
You criticize Robinson but you say nothing about Jake Long and Scott Wells.
pound.gif

If you ask me, they were brought here on BIG Contracts and BTW are still under contract and please ask yourself? What have they done other than get our qb killed? ...Not much!! ...Cant stay on the field and when they are on the field....they suck! So now they will be cut to save $$. and we have more holes to fill. But that's ok, keep pointing the finger at Robinson! .....There I feel better now!
occasion14.gif

^^^^^^ What he said!!

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Past 4 Years the Cowboys drafts 3 OL in the 1st Round

Tyron Smith - one of the top OTs in the league
Then didn't draft an linemen
Travis Fredrick - has started every game of his career for the Cowboys after the traded up to take the top center in the draft at the end of the 1st and he was selected to all Rookie Team
Zach Martin - no comment needed - he's been talked about very favorably this year

In that same time period we took one OL before day 3.... Greg Robinson. A player touted for his potential but with lots of questions about his ability to be a complete tackle in the league....

That's because we signed Long and Wells. We did already have Saffold, he was drafted the same year as Samantha

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lame: You criticize Robinson but you say nothing about Jake Long and Scott Wells.:pound:
If you ask me, they were brought here on BIG Contracts and BTW are still under contract and please ask yourself? What have they done other than get our qb killed? ...Not much!! ...Cant stay on the field and when they are on the field....they suck! So now they will be cut to save $$. and we have more holes to fill. But that's ok, keep pointing the finger at Robinson! .....There I feel better now!:suds:

Wells needs to be cut - like I said I would've drafted Richburg and cut Wells last season, I still think we should cut Wells. Long would've been a starter on my line in my re-draft, I do admit. But I think that would've been a must anyway based on what we had. They line at that point would've been Long - Jackson - Richburg - Saffold - Barksdale. Or Saffold could've played tackle when Long is hurt and Joseph could've moved in, or Saffold could've started at OT and Joseph could be the other OG.

But yes, I do admit, its over simplification blaming it on Robinson, I more blame the Organization for drafting Robinson and thinking that this was an environment he could excel in

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. L'ael Collins. He is a stud run blocking prospect who can play RT or G and he is from an SEC school. Fits the Rams need and draft style.

2. Kevin White. He is a WR with good route running and is decently physical and he comes from West Virginia so he first the Rams need and draft style.

3. Trading down. There will be defensive prospects falling to 10 (like Gregory, Beasley or Ray) and the Rams dont need pass rushers. This is the type of thing the Rams do anyways.

Not sure on the Kevin White deal. I think you nailed it with the other two however. I personally think that since Winston will be gone by #10 that there willl be a TON of defensive guys sitting at #10 that do not fill a need for us (aka 4-3 DE) and we will get offers to trade down. I think we should look at that but no further than 13 or 14. At #14 we can still get one of Collins,Ogebuehi,Scherff,Peat or Stanley and we will get a pick or two. I like Collins a lot. All of those top five guys have played inside as well as OT in college so they will all fit the system

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK... so then let's look at this. If we are sitting at #10 and Winston is gone, what if we went with someone like Bernardrick McKinney at #10 and then drafted O line in the 2nd and 3rd?? Then look at Jake Locker,Christian Ponder etc as a backup to Bradford and draft a QB like Sean Mannion, Jake Waters or Shane Carden in the 5th round??

By the way, I agree with Austin. I agree with that to a point that I might consider dealing him for picks unless we make a change at OC.

I think 10 is pretty high for McKinney - I thought we was a later 1st or 2nd round pick.

Yeah in the 2nd and 3rd we can draft Oline - but I think last year's talent and the way the draft was looking - that that would've done better. I don't think the team will do that, nor is the talent there to be done. Last year's draft class was the time to do it. I like taking a QB in the 5th, I like Grayson tbh to learn behind Bradford.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3. Trading down. There will be defensive prospects falling to 10 (like Gregory, Beasley or Ray) and the Rams dont need pass rushers. This is the type of thing the Rams do anyways and they might be able to trade down to get one of the top 2 players mentioned.

I hope Schreff slides to us at 10 but I'm fine with Collins. The Rams should have either the top or 2nd OT to choose from if you figure 2- QB's 2- DE's and a WR will most likely be taken first. that just leaves 4 picks in front of us.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because we signed Long and Wells. We did already have Saffold, he was drafted the same year as Samantha

Right - I was just saying what the Cowboys did compared to what we did because we were comparing the draft strategy. We went for project players like Quick, Austin, Robinson, even Quinn (though we turned out well) didn't play college football the year we drafted him (which is why he fell to us) because we was suspended (if I recall correctly, I didn't fact check).

But theres also 4 years of offseasons - how can Long and Wells be the team's only move? Its not a good gameplan. That's my point!