• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Current News & Events!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems pretty simple to me. This team lacks leadership more than anything. Of course QB and OL play can improve (and it should as players get healthy and gel as a unit), but having a true leadership voice, either from a different coach (Fisher isn't getting it done) and/or from a QB would go a long way. Someone to inspire and hold people responsible for their play is a big vacuum on this team, especially on the offense. I would think guys like Laurinaitis and Long would fill that role defensively, at least for now.

I'm not worried about ownership, as more often than not they screw things up by getting involved too heavily. Once the LA thing is resolved one way or another, the distractions from that end should be minor at most. The coaching staff however is very much at fault.

Truth be told, this is team is just short of .500 as currently built. That leadership at QB (and hopefully at head coach) and a few tweaks should be all it takes to get over the hump.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing is though he wouldn't want to come to a team with shitty management and a shitty coach.

Yeah, after checking the Saints current line, they are on the tall side as well. Regardless, fitting that huge salary would be extremely difficult even if he wanted to come to the Rams. It doesn't appear that the Rams can get out from under Foles' deal this year (I believe his roster bonus is guaranteed?), so any improvement at QB will likely have to come cheaper, which is tough these days. Cousins is also a FA, but is expected to pull $20M per (has he proven to be worth that yet?). After those two, you're basically down to Fitz, Bradford, and maybe Chase Daniel.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been awhile since I've been here. The Rams will miss the playoffs again, so not much has changed in that department. I think the biggest upgrade needed is at QB. I don't know who that would be and I doubt the Rams know either, so, again, nothing much has changed. The Rams have some great players, but a new QB and improved OL are musts. The FO has done little to address these issues and perhaps we need some fresh faces there, and on the sideline, to actually make these needed upgrades. It doesn't help that the owner seems totally focused on off the field issues. Maybe if the Rams' brain trust focused on winning, they wouldn't have to worry so much about moving.

You all have a Merry Christmas!! Let's hope 2016 is a better year in Ram Land.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been awhile since I've been here. The Rams will miss the playoffs again, so not much has changed in that department. I think the biggest upgrade needed is at QB. I don't know who that would be and I doubt the Rams know either, so, again, nothing much has changed. The Rams have some great players, but a new QB and improved OL are musts. The FO has done little to address these issues and perhaps we need some fresh faces there, and on the sideline, to actually make these needed upgrades. It doesn't help that the owner seems totally focused on off the field issues. Maybe if the Rams' brain trust focused on winning, they wouldn't have to worry so much about moving.

You all have a Merry Christmas!! Let's hope 2016 is a better year in Ram Land.

I wouldn't say the FO has done little to address those issues; the Rams spent half their draft adding OL (+ Battle in the supplemental draft), traded for Foles and Keenum, and spent a 3rd rounder on Mannion. The moves haven't borne fruit yet, due to lack of experience along the line and need for further development along the line, and shaky QB play at least partially as a result. Whether or not they have chosen well with their QB choices isn't looking good, unless Mannion can have a solid offseason and compete for the job next summer.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say the FO has done little to address those issues; the Rams spent half their draft adding OL (+ Battle in the supplemental draft), traded for Foles and Keenum, and spent a 3rd rounder on Mannion. The moves haven't borne fruit yet, due to lack of experience along the line and need for further development along the line, and shaky QB play at least partially as a result. Whether or not they have chosen well with their QB choices isn't looking good, unless Mannion can have a solid offseason and compete for the job next summer.

Yeah they have tried... They just haven't scored with the offensive picks like they have on the D side. besides Gurley, Havenstein, Austin. But if you count up how many picks they have made and only have 3 solid players it's pretty pathetic.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Further Review: Why Aaron Donald is better than JJ Watt right now
December 24, 2015 12:07 am ET

ADonald-top-inside_640.jpg
The quick and athletic Donald is a master at using his hands in the trenches. (USATSI)

The two best defensive players in the NFL are Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt and St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald. They are different in a lot of ways, but there is one thing that binds them together, which is their use of their hands.

For all the talk about power and strength and quickness and agility -- which both have -- the thing that stands out to me when watching tape of both players is how well they use their hands to get off blocks.

The word that comes to mind is finesse, but that would be an injustice to the power both can play with when needed. But these are two athletes, pure and simple, who grew into dominating defensive linemen.

Watt was a former tight end who grew and moved to the defensive side. He still plays with the agility of the tight end position. Donald ran 4.68 at the NFL scouting combine when he came out of Pittsburgh in 2014, which is blazing for a defensive lineman and he has used martial arts to improve his hand fighting.

I break down Watt's games every week here as part of After Further Review. I study all of his snaps (later you will see the breakdown from last week's game). But this column is highlighted by a breakdown of Donald.

The debate this year is which player is better. I'll say it this way: Watt would be my pick if I were starting a team in terms of a defensive player, but Donald is playing better this season, which makes him a strong candidate to be the NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

The amazing thing about Donald's play is that he's 6-foot-1, 285 pounds and he looks even smaller than that in his No. 99 jersey. At times when he's running down plays away from him, Donald looks like a linebacker or even a strong safety. That's how athletic he is as a player.

When he came out of Pitt, there were a lot of scouts who had reservations about his size. Would Donald hold up in the run game? That was one of the most-asked questions about him coming into the league. Was he strong enough?

ADonald-Cards_640.jpg
Donald knows how to wreak havoc in opposing teams' offensive backfields. (USATSI)

The answer to that question after two years is a resounding yes. Sure, there are times when a guard or a tackle can get their big bodies on him and root him out, but it doesn't happen a lot. His ability to use his hands and his quickness to prevent that from happening is as good as any inside player in the league.

Donald has 11 sacks this season, the most of any inside player, and he has 21 tackles for a loss. Without end Robert Quinn next to him -- he started seven games but is now out for the season -- Donald is also seeing more doubles. That's the next challenge for any great player, handling two big guys at once. It's even tougher for a smaller defensive player, but Donald has adjusted well.

Here's a play from the Week 13 game with Arizona that shows how Donald has learned to deal with the double.

Donald is lined up in his three-technique position, outside the shoulder of left guard Mike Iupati. At the snap, he exploded into left tackle Jared Veldheer and moved him back. It was a show of strength as he used his legs to push into Veldheer with a low center of attack.

ImmaculateOpenGuillemot.gif
That made it tough for Iupati to get a real good double on him. As running back David Johnson tried to get through on the left side, Donald was able to reach out with his right arm and get involved in the play. That's power.

Here's a look at Donald using his power as a pass rusher.

On this play, he was lined up over center Lyle Sendlein. At the snap, Sendlein had no chance. Donald got off the line quickly, and then used his powerful legs to get under Sendlein and drive him back. As Carson Palmer tried to move, Donald disengaged Sendlein and got the sack.

Take a look.

IdlePastFox.gif
Here's a play from Week 15 against the Bucs where he overpowers guard Logan Mankins to make a stop in the run game. This is just brute strength on display.

It's a fourth-and-1 play in the second quarter. The Bucs want to run Doug Martin to the left behind the fullback, and it's a play that is well blocked up front.

Bucs-Rams-runplay-ins.jpg
But Donald blows it up by powering into Mankins and tackling Martin for a 2-yard loss.

ADonald-Bucs_640.jpg
Donald shuts down Martin in a hurry. (USATSI)

You can see by the screen shot that Martin would have had the first down and a lot more if Donald doesn't win and make the play.

GloriousThinKillifish.gif
Even when it appears Donald is handled on a play, he really isn't. Here's a look at a run play against the Cardinals that shows that.

Donald appeared to be cut off by right tackle Bobby Massie on the run to the left. That's tough to do with Donald being so quick, but Massie actually did a nice job getting in front of him. The problem was he didn't stay with his block. Donald was able to free himself from Massie's big body to slide over and help tackle Johnson for a 2-yard gain.

EssentialFrayedGreatargus.gif
That's the type of effort Donald plays with every play. You don't see him take downs off.

The power is nice, but it's his quickness that sets him apart. There are so many plays where he's the first guy off the ball, which makes it so tough for the offensive linemen.

Here's another play that highlights his quickness from the Week 13 game with the Cardinals.

On this play, his ability to get off the ball prevented Massie from getting a down block on him. What I liked was how skinny he got to split to the two linemen to make the play.

MisguidedTintedIrishredandwhitesetter.gif
That's technique of a player much older. You can tell he studies the tactical side of the position.

As far as pass-rush skills, he has all the moves. Like the one sack above, he can use power. He also can use his wonderful athletic ability and his bag of moves. Here's a sack from the Lions game that shows off his ability to use a variety of techniques to get the quarterback.

Lined up on the outside shoulder of rookie guard Laken Tomlinson, Donald charged hard into his body, then tried a swim move to disengage. But Tomlinson did a nice job initially. So Donald spun away from him and exploded to drop Matthew Stafford for a loss.

MaleCloudyAmberpenshell.gif
That is a lot of stuff happening in short time, which shows just how quick he is as a player and pass rusher.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ADonald-Lions_640.jpg
Donald's spin move allowed him to bring down Stafford. (USATSI)
In the game against the Cardinals, Donald also dropped out in coverage . This is not something I would do ever, but the Rams like to use some blitz-replace concepts, with a linebacker coming and a lineman dropping out. This time, Donald dropped and nobody else came. The way Donald played it he looked like a much smaller man.

Donald dropped out from a down stance, knocked tight end Jermaine Gresham off his route and then got in on the tackle on Larry Fitzgerald when he crossed into his zone.

AromaticDrearyDorking.gif
That is an amazing play for a man that big.

Watching him on tape, he comes across at times like a one-man wrecking crew, even on a talented defense. That's how much he shows up. Even when he's not making the stat sheet, he's impacting the game, which all the greats do.

After Further Review: Why Aaron Donald is better than Watt right now

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was weird seeing Jackson in a Falcon uniform, even weirder as a Patriot!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ bringing that same bad luck to New England...

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJ bringing that same bad luck to New England...

agreed....It was pretty funny watching NE lose to their nemesis NY Jets yesterday! Lets just hope they get eliminated early in the playoffs as well!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed....It was pretty funny watching NE lose to their nemesis NY Jets yesterday! Lets just hope they get eliminated early in the playoffs as well!

Unfortunately, even with their issues, the Pats still may be the most playoff worthy team in the AFC. Every team seems pretty flawed.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, even with their issues, the Pats still may be the most playoff worthy team in the AFC. Every team seems pretty flawed.

I can agree with that but I definitely think that this Pats team is a lot more flawed than previous years. They're the one team probably more than any of the other three getting a bye that can use it the most. Although some would say since they are playing Miami next week, that they're getting two byes in a row and with the way Miami has looked lately, they'd be right.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with that but I definitely think that this Pats team is a lot more flawed than previous years. They're the one team probably more than any of the other three getting a bye that can use it the most. Although some would say since they are playing Miami next week, that they're getting two byes in a row and with the way Miami has looked lately, they'd be right.

True, and the Patriots might use it to get Edelman back in the flow before the playoffs (if he's ready).

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip Kelly...

He gawn

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Donald a deserving Defensive Player of the Year candidate
11:10 PM ET
  • wagoner_nick_m.jpg
    Nick WagonerESPN Staff Writer
  • 0Shares
  • Email
  • print
  • comment

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- For obvious reasons, Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt has staked a strong claim to the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year award.

Watt has won it two of the past three years and in many circles is considered the favorite again this season. To be sure, his dominance should not be taken for granted. But this year, there's a case to be made that Watt should not walk away with the award, not because he's undeserving but because there's another player who has been as good as him under similar if not more difficult circumstances.

That player is St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who in his second season has emerged as one of the most unstoppable forces in football.

"I think the case can be made that he’s the best defensive football player in the NFL," Rams defensive end Chris Long said. "There’s going to be some people who are going to tell you otherwise but you watch the film, it’s not just about the stats, it’s about destroying like every play, seven out of 10 plays, he’s doing something to just mess the whole thing up. And he’s just on a constant basis making people look silly.

"I could go on for a while on why I think that. But I don’t think it’s that unreasonable to put him in that conversation. I know it’s kind of off limits right now to say anybody is better than J.J., but I think he’s in that conversation."

Russell Wilson rarely had time to step up in the pocket or set his feet to deliver a pass on time. The Rams sacked Wilson four times and hit him 13 more, setting the tone early in the game by making him uncomfortable.

"He’s disruptive nearly every play," linebacker James Laurinaitis said of Donald. "Everyone wants to look at just his stats a lot of times, but if you watch the tape, there’s so many QB hits that he’s a part of on plays that are out routes and screens, and if he doesn’t make a [tackle for loss], he’s making the running back avoid what he wants to do and double back and somebody else is getting it. So I think so. If I had a vote, which obviously I don’t, but if I did, he would have my vote."

If you prefer to use an outside source, the folks at Pro Football Focus have Donald graded as their best overall player regardless of position and on pace to potentially break Watt's record as the highest graded player in the service's existence.

Chances are, many of the same things that work against players in Donald's position will work against him in determining the winner of the award. He plays in a smaller media market on a team that isn't in the playoff hunt. Even though the Rams' record is only a game worse than Houston's, the Texans are going to win the AFC South barring a miracle for the Indianapolis Colts.

But one also could argue that Donald's performance in those circumstances should bolster his case, not hurt it. Consider that Donald played a large portion of the season without defensive end Robert Quinn drawing his share of blockers' attention. Fellow end Chris Long also has missed time with injury, and the Rams have been hit by various ailments in other parts of the defense as well.

Even with Quinn, Donald already was seeing plenty of double and triple teams, but that only has increased in the weeks since Quinn was lost. It hasn't slowed Donald's productivity at all as he's moved all over the line and continued to make plays.

“It took a little bit of an acclimation for him to understand when the game plan at this level started going toward him, and what we did to try to help him a little bit with that," defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said. "But more importantly, what he could do on compensating and correcting some of his technique things so he could still be a dominant football player. So, his biggest adjustment is when he saw everybody’s attention start to go to him more because he wasn’t sneaking up on anybody the way he was as a rookie.”

For his part, Donald said he isn't concerned with awards and has been unfazed by the extra attention.

"That’s a blessing just to be talked about like that," Donald said. "I’ve just got to find a way, if they want to double team me, that gives an opportunity to someone else. So we are going to find a way."

When all is said and done, Donald probably won't win the honor, but if it doesn't happen this year, you can expect his name to be at the top of the list for years to come.

“He’s as dominant as any inside player there is in the league," Williams said. "He can play inside and outside. He’s a great kid and I think he can be in those conversations, yes I do. Again, I’m biased on that. I like him a lot, but production warrants him to be considered.”

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any chance we could tap him as an offensive assistant?