• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Current News & Events!

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TOP 10 NFL SECONDARIES THIS SEASON
BRENT ROLLINS22 HOURS AGO

Earlier this season, we looked at the top 10 secondary groups at the time, and recently, Cris Collinsworth, Neil Hornsby and Steve Palazzolo ranked the top five secondaries in coverage. Now that the final week of the NFL’s regular season is here, let’s run through our player grades see which secondary unit is at the top with one game remaining.

While being at the top of any positively-focused list is a good thing, probably the most interesting stat is the collective W-L of the 10 teams listed below—102-48—with only two having a losing record and eight soon to be postseason participants.

Editor’s note: For this ranking, the top five DBs (two CBs, two safeties, and a fifth DB) from each team were considered, given the primary formation used by NFL teams is a three-WR set, and the fifth DB is essentially a starter. In the case of a true rotation or variability, snap count numbers and/or more recent playing time were used to determine the five players. Remember, the ranking is reflective of the entire group’s season (including currently-injured players, in some cases). Thus, a group that has two elite players might be brought down by three players with much lower grades.

1. New England Patriots
Average PFF grade: 82.7

Cornerbacks: Logan Ryan (85.3); Malcolm Butler (81.2)

Safeties: Devin McCourty (84.9); Patrick Chung (84.4); Duron Harmon (77.7)

New England is only one of two teams in the league who has four defensive backs with a rating above 80. This group has been very consistent and continues to get better. Ryan is PFF’s 11th-ranked cornerback, and is first in combined tackling efficiency (includes both run and pass game). Butler’s growth from unsung Super Bowl hero to current 24th-ranked cornerback has offset the loss of Darrelle Revis to the rival Jets. Ryan and Butler have even combined to log over 1,900 snaps this season. If this unit can reach full health by the postseason, it will play a major factor in New England’s playoff success.

Standout stat: Fifth defensive back Duron Harmon has only been targeted seven times in 417 coverage snaps.

2. Denver Broncos
Average grade: 81.1

Cornerbacks: Chris Harris, Jr. (86.2); Aqib Talib (78.2); Bradley Roby (76.3)

Safeties: Darian Stewart (85.1); T.J. Ward (79.8)

While much of the discussion of Denver’s No.1 rated PFF defense has focused on the pressure they generate up front, the secondary has continually shown itself to be elite and keeps its the second spot on this list. Stewart, our eighth-ranked safety, has been a fantastic free agent signing, while Harris Jr. is allowing an NFL-low 44.6 QB rating in slot coverage.

Standout stat: T.J. Ward gets after the QB, as well, with two sacks and eight total QB pressures, fifth-best among safeties.

3. Green Bay Packers
Average PFF grade: 80.9

Cornerbacks: Casey Hayward (80.5); Sam Shields (78.5); Damarious Randall (75.5)

Safeties: Morgan Burnett (88.8); Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (81.1)

Since returning for good in Week 8, Burnett has played all but eight snaps for the Packers, and now grades as our fourth overall safety. The youth of this unit has also improved throughout the season. A first-round pick, Randall has played competently, with an 11th-best 10 pass deflections this year. Rollins, a second-round pick, (80.0), who has surged late in the season and isn’t even listed above, has only allowed an NFL QB rating of 59.9 in his coverage. Clinton-Dix is still the roaming constant for Green Bay, coming off the field for only three snaps all season.

Standout stat: Rollins’ 59.9 QB rating allowed is good for sixth in the league.

4. Kansas City Chiefs
Average PFF grade: 80.8

Cornerbacks: Sean Smith (84.8); Marcus Peters (74.4)

Safeties: Eric Berry (89.0); Husain Abdullah (83.3); Ron Parker (72.5)

Berry has beaten both Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and opponents to a pulp in 2015, grading out as our third-best safety overall. A first-round pick, Peters has been up and down in his rookie campaign, but has spurred enough ups to lead all cornerbacks with 17 passes defensed, and is tied for the NFL lead in interceptions, with eight. It took awhile, but Smith has finally returned to his 2014 form, as is now our 13th-rated CB.

Standout stat: Marcus Peters is still by far the most-targeted cornerback in the NFL, with 131 targets—26 more than the next CB.

5. St. Louis Rams
Average PFF grade: 76.8

Cornerbacks: Trumaine Johnson (87.0); Janoris Jenkins (81.3); Lamarcus Joyner (66.1)

Safeties: Rodney McLeod (85.0); T.J. McDonald (64.8)

All five Rams’ players listed are fourth-year players or younger, and keep progressively getting better. Johnson is now the fifth-ranked cornerback, ranking No.1 in NFL QB rating allowed in his coverage (47.4) to go along with seven interceptions. McLeod is currently the ninth-ranked safety, and has played the second-most snaps among all secondary players, with 1,096, behind only Philadelphia’s Malcolm Jenkins. McDonald had also improved prior to his season-ending shoulder injury.

Standout stat: The average age of these five is exactly 25 years old.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had better re-sign Johnson for sure and if possible Jenkins although the latter is looking elsewhere.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine how much better they could be with a full season of Long, Quinn, and Tree in front of them.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We now have available both Sean Payton and Tom Coughlin and Kroneke wants to stay with Fisher! WTH!!!

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We now have available both Sean Payton and Tom Coughlin and Kroneke wants to stay with Fisher! WTH!!!

We all know why that is... Kroenke doesn't care about the product on the field at all and is more worried about increasing the value of the franchise by moving to LA than anything else. As much as I really hate saying this (and really hope that I'm wrong) but as long as Kroenke is the owner of this franchise, we're never going to come close to sniffing another Super Bowl.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine how much better they could be with a full season of Long, Quinn, and Tree in front of them.
Don't forget, Gaines comes back from injury next year.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could be urgently needed if they can't re-sign both Tru and Jenkins.

unfortunately, I don't think there's any way we get both Jenkins and T.Johnson back. Jenkins will probably be offered big money that we won't be able to match. Of course, the way Johnson played, he might be offered big bucks by someone as well. Not a very good position for us to be in at all...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know why that is... Kroenke doesn't care about the product on the field at all and is more worried about increasing the value of the franchise by moving to LA than anything else. As much as I really hate saying this (and really hope that I'm wrong) but as long as Kroenke is the owner of this franchise, we're never going to come close to sniffing another Super Bowl.

Absolutely spot on UVA. That is why I compared Kroneke to Hugh Culverhouse. Hugh wasn't interested in football at all. He was interested in the T.V. money even back-in-the-day. He knew little or nothing about winning and he was the one that was a primary influence in getting the Queen Idiot involved in ownership with the Rams. Now you see the mess we are in?

Unless History repeats itself and we have a blind squirrel moment when Kroneke starts losing money on the Rams when the fans don't show up and the people with T.V. stop watching via sponsorship reluctance and he then hires a football guy like Vermeil to start winning, will we not see the play-offs or even the inside of a stadium of a future snooperbowl for decades!

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general, I'm really not concerned about ownership. I'd rather have a distant owner than a meddling one. I just wish he (or Snead, who may not be able to make this decision) would look realistically at Fisher's performance and make the right decision.

In other words, I trust Kroenke more than I trust the Buss brats.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
_gep2s4I_reasonably_small.jpe
Ian Rapoport– Verified account ‏@RapSheet
The #Rams have put in a request to interview #Browns OC John DeFilippo, source said. His work with a variety of QBs was noted.
3:35 PM - 5 Jan 2016

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 73870
Ian Rapoport– Verified account ‏@RapSheet
The #Rams have put in a request to interview #Browns OC John DeFilippo, source said. His work with a variety of QBs was noted.
3:35 PM - 5 Jan 2016

I still don't get why the fuck this stupid ass FO would want to interview any coach from the browns????? smh.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea especially when they could have Sean Payton for a second round pick and Tom Coughlin for no draft picks, Jermaine!

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea especially when they could have Sean Payton for a second round pick and Tom Coughlin for no draft picks, Jermaine!

I would LOVE to bring Coughlin in here!!! Did you see the way he snubbed Mara today while walking out of the press conference??? wow!!!

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coughlin is exactly what this team needs, LTR. A disciplinarian that doesn't tolerate this mental mistakes and bullshit wussie play cancer that has gripped this team. With Coughlin, a new OC, and Williams as the DC, this team would be badass and I guarantee you, our O would be wwwaaaayyyy better!

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coughlin is exactly what this team needs, LTR. A disciplinarian that doesn't tolerate this mental mistakes and bullshit wussie play cancer that has gripped this team. With Coughlin, a new OC, and Williams as the DC, this team would be badass and I guarantee you, our O would be wwwaaaayyyy better!

While I'd gladly accept Coughlin with open arms, I'd just wonder how long he'd want to be around since he's nearing 70. I think I'd much rather have Peyton, who's a lot younger and would be around a lot longer if he'd turn this team around. Either way, I agree about Williams and would still want him around as DC regardless.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'd gladly accept Coughlin with open arms, I'd just wonder how long he'd want to be around since he's nearing 70. I think I'd much rather have Peyton, who's a lot younger and would be around a lot longer if he'd turn this team around. Either way, I agree about Williams and would still want him around as DC regardless.

You know what? Even if Coughlin agreed to coming here for only two years, I'd be happy!!! I'd know that he would leave us in DAMN good shape and with AT LEAST one SOLID coordinator ready to take over as HC...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd probably sign a three-year deal and he wouldn't take that time to turn this team around. Gone would be all the bullshit players like Chase Daniels and I guarantee you, Coughlin would resurrect the career of Foles and GRob would learn to pass block without holding or he'd be out the door.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd probably sign a three-year deal and he wouldn't take that time to turn this team around. Gone would be all the bullshit players like Chase Daniels and I guarantee you, Coughlin would resurrect the career of Foles and GRob would learn to pass block without holding or he'd be out the door.

Sounds good to me!!! :suds:

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't get why the fuck this stupid ass FO would want to interview any coach from the browns????? smh.

Well the rumor is that we are in the Manziel sweepstakes, so he is a link. I'm just looking for at least an average offense.