• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Raiders to Vegas

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're 100% right when it comes to franchises increasing in value!!! Came out the other day that the LEAST valuable NFL franchise right now is the Bills at $1.5 billion...Which is a crazy amount of money!!!

Yup, saw that. Something how the average NFL franchise grew by 19% in value last year. Big impacts were Thursday night football and new stadiums/deals.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about time they moved out of that crappy stadium in Oakland.

Very true...One thing about being in a crappy stadium is that you can only charge SO much before people push back, even if you're a winning team...Other teams have stadiums with first class service, better views, better concessions, etc...Things not possible when you have an old stadium...

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They rank 20th in actual value as an organization in the NFL. Revenue this past year was around $300 million which again was bottom-12 of the league. The years of being a terrible team have really hurt that fan base and interest in the team. They could see a huge jump though if they finally make the playoffs this year.

Now out of that $300 million of revenue you have to remember they have to pay stadium upkeep. They have to pay for all of their employees.

Now if we are talking actual net profit for the year. You have to remember that this includes paying for everything including player salaries, team salaries, and so on. Since all but 1 team is privately owned it is hard to judge but the Green Bay Packers in the 2014 season showed a net profit of $25.3 million. Every team will be different depending on the costs they have and then how much some of them bring in for parking and merchandise sales within the stadium. But they don't bring in as much profit as one would think. The big money is more tied into the actual team in knowing most of these guys bought these teams when they were maybe a 1/10th of the cost compared to what they are worth now. It is kind of like a farmer that they can look very very wealthy because of the overall value they have but most of it is tied up in equipment and land. Actual cash on hand is not a whole lot.

Value doesn't help cash flow.

Reactions: GNG

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't get way tax payers have to put up money for the stadiums? The owners make the money on ticket sales, vending, and other stuff, but yet they need funding from the city?

Because taxpayers are generally in business one way or another. Either you own a business or a home there. Apartment renters do not although renters pay most of the taxes towards federal, which does NOT go towards stadiums. State income taxpayers... dunno what to tell ya, although you're still not paying property/title/etc. which does frequently go up. State income % generally stays even or goes down.

That said, getting an NFL team (or sports team in general) brings popularity to your city for a variety of reasons. When you bring in major sports teams (whether players/fans/Super Bowl) it creates an influx of revenue indirectly for other businesses/homes in terms of attractiveness, accommodations, site seeing, etc. You've also got many NFL players/fans/staff that may re-locate to Vegas thus bringing tremendous value to real estate/business, etc.

The individual homepayer is not seeing some stupid ridiculous tax hike. Mostly corporations/business/property see tax hikes, but it's generally advantageous as it attracts buyers/city appeal. More people may move to said location because there's something fun to do for families, or a team to root for. Provides a sense of community which brings in general wealth.

Same thing as building a massive park, or community pool. The general community of that area may pay additional dues/taxes, but it raises property value and attracts potential buyers. JESUS didn't ANY of you play Sim City 2000!?

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Value doesn't help cash flow.

Right which is why I included Net Income after everything else has been paid out. We don't know from one team to the next quite what that is but the one team that has to report their records publicly only made around $25 million. Now that is every year but to make the money needed to just pay the relocation fee we are looking at 22 years and that $25 million is with the league having increased in value dramatically over the last 10 years. So yeah cash flow probably is not the best for the Raiders. It is why you see some teams in the league have to get a bit more creative in how they design contracts. They cannot give out a ton of the signing bonus kind of deals in a single season because of a cash flow problem. Bronco's owner has this problem but honestly it has helped our FO keep our Cap situation well under control not guaranteeing much beyond 2-years and keeping cap hits even throughout the contract for the most part.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man Ole Al Davis would love the Raiders in Vegas just to thumb his nose at the NFL

Hope it happens as the stadium in Oakland is a terrible place to play

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raiders and Vegas sound like a marriage made in heaven. I can pretty much hear the slot machines jingling in the luxury boxes as we speak. Seriously now, I was in Vegas over the summer and would definitely make a weekend trip during football season to catch a game or two with my Raider buddies. A fun town would be even more fun to visit.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the idea of the Las Vegas Raiders. Now I can kill two birds with one stone. A little Vegas therapy and throw in an AFCW game the same weekend. Brilliant!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the idea of the Las Vegas Raiders. Now I can kill two birds with one stone. A little Vegas therapy and throw in an AFCW game the same weekend. Brilliant!

I keep saying Raiders might actually lose their home field advantage because every away team's fans will want to come to Vegas for the weekend for some fun and a football game. One of the cheapest places in the country to fly to and very cheap hotel options. Honestly if I was picking an away game this might be the one. Have some good friends who live in Vegas so could make the trip very very cheap.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep saying Raiders might actually lose their home field advantage because every away team's fans will want to come to Vegas for the weekend for some fun and a football game. One of the cheapest places in the country to fly to and very cheap hotel options. Honestly if I was picking an away game this might be the one. Have some good friends who live in Vegas so could make the trip very very cheap.

Every NFL fan in America will want to make that trip once, you're right the Raiders will have no home field advantage.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other issue is who is paying for the relocation fee? We are talking another $550 million just to relocate. The Raiders owner I can promise does not have that money sitting around. So might have to have a partner come in just to pay for the relocation fee on top of the stadium fees.

He can finance that I'm pretty sure.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've also been a losing team for a while, which has alot to do with those things...But they seem to be a team on the rise with some nice young talent. I think Jersey sales and ticket sales will change real soon, if they haven't started already...

They have. Mack and Carr, baby.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Especially Raider vs Broncos? :pound:

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every NFL fan in America will want to make that trip once, you're right the Raiders will have no home field advantage.

I disagree with this. Raider fans can and will travel there. It's not far at all.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Nevada is putting up $750 mill, who is putting up the other $1.15 billion? Is it still Sandy Alderson? Are the Raiders kicking any in?

Someone may already have answered this, but since was still on the tip of my tongue...Reportedly...$750 mil LV, $500 mil, Al Davis/Raiders and $1.25 bil from Sands.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with this. Raider fans can and will travel there. It's not far at all.

There will be at least in part a new Raiders fan base, but I think it will be similar to DAL or ATL...so many transplants that every visiting team will have some representation in the stands.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will be at least in part a new Raiders fan base, but I think it will be similar to DAL or ATL...so many transplants that every visiting team will have some representation in the stands.

I think they are going to have more of a home field advantage than some want to realize to be honest.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are going to have more of a home field advantage than some want to realize to be honest.

No doubt, but I don't think it will be like OAK Alameda...There are just so many transplants there.