• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Quin agrees to restructure

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew doesn't care -- if Detroit doesn't win this year, he knows he is gone and it isn't his problem going forward.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
460x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh chocolate Jesus... you guys really take it too far sometimes. He converted part of $3.5 million from this year's base salary to a signing bonus which will be spread over the remaining three years of his deal. We're talking like a maximum of $1.2(ish) million a year pushed back, and that's if he did all $3.5 million, which the article suggested that he didn't.

We're not talking Suh or Stafford numbers here at all- this is just a move to clear some cap space in case there are any cuts tomorrow whom we wish to sign. Teams re-structure deal like this all of the time. Seriously- all the freaking time. This is not something unique to Mayhew or the Lions.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still doesn't look good.....Now we are kicking the can on guys like Quinn......I guess Suh's Can became too big to keep kicking, time to start kicking less palyers cans.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news (Mayhew's job is obviously on the line this year) is also the bad news. Next GM is fucked. Will anyone even want the less Mayhew left behind?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news (Mayhew's job is obviously on the line this year) is also the bad news. Next GM is fucked. Will anyone even want the less Mayhew left behind?

Not really Rob...after Suh leaves the new guy might have a few dollars to spend. As much as I want the Lions to win, if I knew Mayhew is fired with out a doubt if they lose a certain amount of games...I will cheer against them.

Whether you kick the can for 6 mill/12 mill/ or one million it is bad business. You constantly eat up future cap space.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really Rob...after Suh leaves the new guy might have a few dollars to spend. As much as I want the Lions to win, if I knew Mayhew is fired with out a doubt if they lose a certain amount of games...I will cheer against them.

Whether you kick the can for 6 mill/12 mill/ or one million it is bad business. You constantly eat up future cap space.

This is definitely true, but if the cap is going up several million a year, is giving up around $1 million per year of that now in order to free up a couple million in cap space immediately really all that bad?

I understand that as a whole the restructuring thing has fucked up our cap situation royally, but in this instance I think it's a wise financial move. It's like taking out a small loan against the future cap space, rather than taking out a second mortgage on it.

That's just my opinion, though...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will just say that most teams that compete this is not normal practice.

Had this happened to Lions with new CBA ...as in sucking with early picks. They would be not be in this trouble. Mayhew and Lewand double fucked up by pushing 3 huge back in restructuring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that as a whole the restructuring thing has fucked up our cap situation royally, but in this instance I think it's a wise financial move. It's like taking out a small loan against the future cap space, rather than taking out a second mortgage on it.

So pushing money back into future years is a good thing, only to pick up some other teams trash cans that can't make their own respective teams?

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All loans are bad.......Pay cash!!!!!! I don't care what your bank tells you or the GM tells you......Loans are bad......Pay cash!!!! If you can't pay cash, then your probably fucked up along the way.:whistle:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will just say that most teams that compete this is not normal practice.
Name a team, and I'm sure I can find players they've re-structured to create cap space when needed.

Had this happened to Lions with new CBA ...as in sucking with early picks. They would be not be in this trouble. Mayhew and Lewand double fucked up by pushing 3 huge back in restructuring.
Exactly- it's not the re-structuring that got us, it was the re-structuring of huge amounts of money with the idea that those players would later sign extensions to prevent having a $20 million cap figure in their contract year. Stafford and Megarton played ball and re-signed... Suh did not, and now we're fucked.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So pushing money back into future years is a good thing, only to pick up some other teams trash cans that can't make their own respective teams?

I wish this website had some sort of special detectors that prevented hyperbole from being posted. If people would just take things at face value instead of trying to apply every statement to all possible situations that may or may not unfold, these conversations would go a lot better.

This statement above, and mine that you were quoting with it are not on the same page at all...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All loans are bad.......Pay cash!!!!!! I don't care what your bank tells you or the GM tells you......Loans are bad......Pay cash!!!! If you can't pay cash, then your probably fucked up along the way.:whistle:

You're full of shit. 95% of Americans don't happen to have a few hundred thousand laying around to buy a house, or $35,000 to buy a car when they want a new one.

I'm sure you'll probably tell us that you do, though, hey? Financing a bike, or a blender, or a television is stupid, I'll agree. Those things are all cheap enough to save cash for. But paying cash for everything is unrealistic.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol so once you're cut, you suck at football and should leave the game completely because no team can ever use you and you're trash? Tell that to Joique

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pick up some other teams trash cans that can't make their own respective teams
We landed Jeremy Ross this way. I'd hardly call him trash. GB simply couldn't keep him on their PS any longer. And while he's still relatively raw, I like his potential as our returner and backup WR. Not very guy we pick up is trash. You can't have a team full of superstars getting paid a ton.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly- the NFL is a numbers game. A particular player might not be better than 4 guys ahead of him on one team, but could be that 4th guy on a lot of other teams. It also may be an issue of scheme, or just simply the human element of coaches not liking a particular player. You wouldn't think stubborn pride would be an issue like that in something as high-stakes as the NFL, but many of these coaches are running pretty heavily on the testosterone... we saw a lot of this with Schwartz. We all knew the season was over in 2012, yet that asshole refused to play his young guys to see what he had.

Anywho, there's always some useful parts to be found on cut-down day. We're talking about the very best football players in the world here. Some may not be good enough to make the cut for a given team, but that doesn't mean that they're not highly skilled football players none-the-less.

This goes back to that hyperbole thing I posted on another thread- calling every cut player "another team's trash" is short-sighted and a concept that just doesn't fly in the NFL.

Look at Terrelle Pryor as an example- he didn't beat out Tavaris Jackson to be the Squawks back-up QB, but I'll bet if the Panthers can land him to learn to back up Cam Newton they'll be pretty happy with that because he's a poor-mans version of their starting QB, enabling them to run the same offense if Newton goes down. Now this is all purely hypothetical, but I'm just hoping to demonstrate how useful guys can still be found right now.

Another good example is our WR and RB corps. We've got more capable players at each spot than can make the team, so expect the odd-man-out for each position group to get scooped up by another team without good depth at either spot. Those guys aren't trash simply because they got cut- they just weren't good enough to beat out the guys ahead of them.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're full of shit. 95% of Americans don't happen to have a few hundred thousand laying around to buy a house, or $35,000 to buy a car when they want a new one.

I'm sure you'll probably tell us that you do, though, hey? Financing a bike, or a blender, or a television is stupid, I'll agree. Those things are all cheap enough to save cash for. But paying cash for everything is unrealistic.

Is 95% a fact or an opinion.....Hmm, the Lions secondary sucks. That's a fact....So I guess your 95% is a fact as well.