• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Plan

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we are still less than a week away from the Super Bowl but saw a picture of Ware already starting training for next season and just got me inspired to think about this next season and what is best to try and defend our title. Throw in the Combine is less than 2 weeks away and from what I understand that is when the contract negotiations with Osweiler, Malik, and others is going to heat up.

So figured we could see where everybody is at with off season ideas.

Alright so this might be long but to include a full off season takes quite a bit to get it all down.

Contracts:

Well before we get too far the Salary Cap is expected to be something like $154 million this next season. That would mean the Broncos have about $15 million with roll over money.

-Peyton Manning retired/cut: Pretty easy to see that this one will happen. So that saves us another $19 million. So now we are $34 million.

I would then go to Clady, Ware, and Colquitt and tell them they need to restructure their contracts or be cut. I know that sounds mean but this is a business and explain to them that to keep Super Bowl thoughts alive this is what needs to happen. Let's say they cut their salary by around 30% each and to keep this simple we will say that saves us another $7 million. So now we have $41 million in cap space to work with.

Restricted Free Agents:

Tender 2nd round
Brandon Marshall
CJ Anderson--We will say the Tender is around $2.5 million (the numbers haven't come out yet)

Exclusive Rights FA's
Brandon McManus
Todd Davis
Bennie Fowler
Matt Paradis
Sam Brenner--These are less than $500,000 but we will just round it up to that for now. So 5 guys another $2.5 million

So we are now at $36 million after the Tenders have been set.
Allow for another $5 million for the draft picks and such and now at $31 million.

This also takes us to 48 people on our roster and actually more than that considering we signed our entire practice squad right after the Super Bowl. Still have to be around 90 and cut down to that final 53.

Now onto the signings. I think this is where many of us are going to have some disagreements.

To me I think the Broncos are going to sign

Von Miller and my guess is his first year cap hit won't be much different from what he would get Franchise Tag wise of around $14 million. The Broncos won't go as crazy as the Chiefs did of getting Houston's first year hit down to something like $6 million.

So that leaves us around $17 million in spendable money.

I would then sign Osweiler for what I would guess he gets of around $12 million but have his first year cap hit be closer to $10 million. So now down to $7 million.

This is where I don't think we can get Malik or Trevathan resigned unless the cap goes up more than I am thinking or they are willing to take more of a home town discount than I thought. Or we completely cut Clady or Ware but remember have to find replacements for them if we do. Or we can somehow convince them to take an even bigger pay cut closer to the 50% area.

So now onto my first mock draft. I won't do anything beyond the 5th round at this point. Don't know enough of the prospects and wouldn't pretend like I do.

1st round--I would go out and try to find Malik's replacement right away. This draft is deep at the DT/DE spot thankfully so I wouldn't feel like I am losing value taking this guy. Might be dreaming that this guy will be there as he is rising quickly on mock drafts but Sheldon Rankins. I've seen him clear up as the 10th pick to that of middle of the 2nd round. He graded out as the best pass rushing 3-4 DE in college football. His run defense needs some work but that is why we have depth at the DE position with Walker being able to handle the run stuffing duties.

2nd round--Scooby Wright. If it were not for injuries this guy would be most likely a 1st round pick. His 2014 tape though is hard to beat and he would fit in perfectly to fighting for the loss of Trevathan. Very smart player that just has a nose for the ball.

3rd round--Devontae Booker. Honestly it gets me excited thinking about Anderson and Booker paired up in our system. It would take a ton of pressure off of Osweiler to have to go out and win games and would give our defense some much needed rest with most likely our depth taking a hit.

3rd round (comp pick--going off of Overthecap and what they think will happen comp pick wise)--Leonte Carroo. Hard to tell where he goes in this draft. I have seen some that have him 2nd round and others not till the 6th round. To me he is worth it at this point. The talent in undeniable.

4th round--no pick

5th round--OT Willie Beavers--This is a guy that has all the talent in the world to be a very good LT in the league but needs some major refining. He has the athleticism to be able to run the ZBS and is a guy that I think we could train up for a year to replace Clady.

The Broncos will add some more players beyond what I have here such as I can see a guy like Shiloh Keo back with the team as he did make some big plays for our defense this year and we are lacking depth at the safety position. I could see us working out a deal with Bruton to return as well but I am afraid he will want starter money somewhere. Essentially if we are to repeat though it is going to take guys from the past 2 drafts really stepping up this year Corey Nelson is a guy not talked about enough that I think honestly could be Trevathan's replacement at least on passing downs. If Latimer steps up then maybe we don't have to go WR so early in the draft. Or Taurean Nixon who we added to the roster late could step in to that back up safety role.

Lots of uknown but not impossible to see that this team will still have a ton of talent this next season to repeat.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Joe Thomas still a potential acquisition ?

At 31, is he too old to go after ?

Does Cleveland want a "Top 5" WR in exchange ?

I am absolutely not sold on Clady coming back - he was not the same player when he came back before getting hurt again .... A lot of water has passed under the bridge since Clady was considered a great OL .. It's been a long time - Jay Cutler was our QB when Clady was runner up for offensive rookie of the year .. Long time ago

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like all that hard work ...thinking.....

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am absolutely not sold on Clady coming back - he was not the same player when he came back before getting hurt again .... A lot of water has passed under the bridge since Clady was considered a great OL .. It's been a long time - Jay Cutler was our QB when Clady was runner up for offensive rookie of the year .. Long time ago

The one thing that gives me hope for Clady is that he is really a ZBS LT.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Mr. cdumler! That's some post. I'm going to have to pull up a large snifter of cognac later this evening and pour through it prior to responding.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Joe Thomas still a potential acquisition ?

At 31, is he too old to go after ?

Does Cleveland want a "Top 5" WR in exchange ?

I am going to guess Cleveland will want everything in exchange for J. Thomas. They wanted something like a 1st and 3rd for him during the season.

He also comes with a 9 million cap hit so we would still have to find cap savings somewhere.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to guess Cleveland will want everything in exchange for J. Thomas. They wanted something like a 1st and 3rd for him during the season.

He also comes with a 9 million cap hit so we would still have to find cap savings somewhere.
Cutting Clady and taking on JT's contract is almost a wash.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plan A ? We're going with Plan B

Nice breakdown CD

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just one think to consider also. The place kicker value is going to go up some also and a guy like McManus could get some pretty high offers that Denver will have to match to keep him. There are way to many scenarios with who Denver could cut, trade,etc to even look at cap space room right now. There could be a totally different look for this team once the FA season starts. It`s fun to speculate but right now...I wouldn`t even begin to try and figure out what Elway and this team is going to do and frankly I don`t think he is going to know until he has his one on ones and finds out what these guys are going to want or be willing to negotiate. I`ll just concentrate on my uneducated guesses/picks about the draft for now. :)

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Randy, are you saying that your wild guesses about the draft are more or less crazy than your wild guesses about FA? ;)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes - I have an off season plan:

I'm going to watch you guys day after day - post on this board your conjecture about every college player - every FA - every dollar spent on salary. Like a good digestive system I will try as I go to separate items that build useful information from the crap. Then I will google and read about the distilled batch of information. That way - right about draft time - I may have worked myself up to understanding half the drivel my chums will post out of excitement as the draft nears - so I might be entry level conversant with the board as the draft unfolds.

Don't worry I will apply - with my usual diligence - bon mots of various sorts and at various times - with the intention of eliciting a laugh or two along the way.

I will also be reminding everyone - just exactly who the friggen World Champions are!

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Randy, are you saying that your wild guesses about the draft are more or less crazy than your wild guesses about FA? ;)
:) I believe I've been rather consistently lacking in being very consistent in either category. I have however, been extremely consistent in the crazy department. :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes - I have an off season plan:

I'm going to watch you guys day after day - post on this board your conjecture about every college player - every FA - every dollar spent on salary. Like a good digestive system I will try as I go to separate items that build useful information from the crap. Then I will google and read about the distilled batch of information. That way - right about draft time - I may have worked myself up to understanding half the drivel my chums will post out of excitement as the draft nears - so I might be entry level conversant with the board as the draft unfolds.

Don't worry I will apply - with my usual diligence - bon mots of various sorts and at various times - with the intention of eliciting a laugh or two along the way.

I will also be reminding everyone - just exactly who the friggen World Champions are!
I'm going with the " Mingo " plan. :)