• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question Regarding Next Years Draft

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this draft being so loaded with underclassmen, this leaves next years draft pretty weak at multiple positions.

There will be players drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round this year that may have been 1st rounders next year. Other than the top 2-3 QBs, there may not be a lot of elite players.

Which begs to question, should the Rams trade next years 1st to just knock this draft out of the park? For instance, they could take Robinson/Matthews at #2 or Mack and then trade their #13 and next years 1st to trade to 4/5 to take Watkins.

Or, they could use their 2nd rounder and next years 1st to move back into the 1st this year if a player fell unexpectedly ( thus giving them 3 1st rounders like Minny did last year ).

I just feel they have to nail this draft as much as possible because I think next years draft is going to be weak and a mid 1st rounder is going to be like a 2nd rounder this year due to the depth.

Your thoughts on next years draft and how this years depth plays a factor.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't give up next years 1st, maybe a mid round pick but the 1st always has high talent.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this draft being so loaded with underclassmen, this leaves next years draft pretty weak at multiple positions.

There will be players drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round this year that may have been 1st rounders next year. Other than the top 2-3 QBs, there may not be a lot of elite players.

Which begs to question, should the Rams trade next years 1st to just knock this draft out of the park? For instance, they could take Robinson/Matthews at #2 or Mack and then trade their #13 and next years 1st to trade to 4/5 to take Watkins.

Or, they could use their 2nd rounder and next years 1st to move back into the 1st this year if a player fell unexpectedly ( thus giving them 3 1st rounders like Minny did last year ).

I just feel they have to nail this draft as much as possible because I think next years draft is going to be weak and a mid 1st rounder is going to be like a 2nd rounder this year due to the depth.

Your thoughts on next years draft and how this years depth plays a factor.

i wouldn't do it. this draft is deep you will get a good player at 13 and i would hate to lose a second rd pick. i think you should trade back not up. there will be good players next year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams arent going to trade next year's 1st because they have one of the toughest schedules in football and if something goes wrong then we'll look like the Redskins

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plus it will be hard enough not having 2 first rd picks next year lol. can't imagine not having one.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wouldn't do it. this draft is deep you will get a good player at 13 and i would hate to lose a second rd pick. i think you should trade back not up. there will be good players next year.

But, a good player is not a great/elite player.

And, they aren't losing a 2nd. They would be gaining an extra 1st which is better than a 2nd if it's for the right player.

For instance, what if the Rams took Matthews/Robinson/Mack at #2, took Gilbert at #13 and Prior fell to the 20's. Wouldn't it be worth trading our 2nd rnd pick and next years 1st to get Prior? Or what if it was one of the QB's that fell. Is there that much of a difference between the top of this class and Winston/Mariota/Hundley?

Winston already has red flags with character issues. Mariota could flop this season and look less like a franchise QB. Same goes for Hundley.

If you are wanting to keep the 1st for next year in case Bradford flops, why not take a QB high this year? If he flops, you don't have to worry about trying to trade up for a QB next year ( because the Rams D is good enough to keep us out of the top 10 ).

I'm not saying they definitely should trade it. I'm just saying, if the draft goes a certain way, I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams take the bold move to just nail this draft to actually compete in the NFCW.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams arent going to trade next year's 1st because they have one of the toughest schedules in football and if something goes wrong then we'll look like the Redskins

The Redskins don't have the Rams D.

The Rams D is good enough to win enough games to keep them out of the top 10 ( just like they did this season ).

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams D is good enough to win enough games to keep them out of the top 10 ( just like they did this season ).
The Rams also had a healthy defensive player of the year last year.

I highly doubt we are trading away a future pick

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams also had a healthy defensive player of the year last year.

I highly doubt we are trading away a future pick

I doubt they do it as well since their motto has been to stockpile picks.

However, it would be nice for once if they went for quality over quantity even if it means sacrificing next years 1st to get the right player.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, I'm assuming all of you think next years draft won't be weak even though this draft had a record number of underclassmen declare and is the deepest draft in 10+ years?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point. but you have to remember there is no guarantee the guy ur trading up to get isnt going to be a bust or "Brian Quick like" and then you be out of first-round pick next year. So it's a pretty big gamble. But I agree it's interesting.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point. but you have to remember there is no guarantee the guy ur trading up to get isnt going to be a bust or "Brian Quick like" and then you be out of first-round pick next year. So it's a pretty big gamble. But I agree it's interesting.

I get that Cougar.

But, every draft and every pick has bust potential. It's very rare an Andrew Luck comes around.

You could theoretically say the Rams 1st next year is a bust while they could've used it on a future pro bowler this draft.

That's why the draft is such a crapshoot.

I just think next years draft is going to be very thin of talent due to the underclassmen declaring this year and makes next years 1st highly questionable. JMO.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, if next years draft is thin, it's thin for everyone except now we don't even have a pick on Thursday. That leaves us, if we have a decent year making our first pick in 2015 around pick 50 or later with our next pick coming in at 82 or later. In a weak draft, we would be getting developmental guys to begin the 2015 draft. I believe every draft should yield at least one starter if not two.

Also we now can only sign our first pick in 2015 to a 4 year deal, if we indeed pick a stud that pans out early.

With 1st round picks, if you knock it out of the park, you can lock them up for 6 years.

Here's how...

Starting in the second round, rookie contracts are set in stone as four-year deals with no wiggle room. However, first-round picks are in a somewhat unique situation. The rookie wage scale allows for teams to add a fifth year to the contracts of first-round selections if they so choose. There are restrictions on this stipulation, however. Let's use Ryan Tannehill of the Miami Dolphins as our example this time around. Miami has to decide on whether or not it is going to keep Tannehill after the third year of his contract, but before the start of his fourth season. If the Dolphins drag their flippers in the water during that time and do not decide on an extension, Tannehill can join everyone else from his draft class in free agency after his fourth season. Should the extension be given, the player's salary depends on their draft position. Tannehill, and any other player selected in the top 10, would receive a salary that is the average of the salaries of the top 10 players in the league at his position. Players selected between picks 11 and 32 would receive a salary that is the average of the third to 25th highest-paid players in the NFL at their respective positions.
This fifth year option is what we just contracted Robert Quinn to. Then in year 6 we can Franchise Tag the guy before giving him the blockbuster deal he will eventually get. We trade out of the first round, we trade out of this type of opportunity.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt they do it as well since their motto has been to stockpile picks.

However, it would be nice for once if they went for quality over quantity even if it means sacrificing next years 1st to get the right player.

Snead likes to trade down, I believe they will trade the #2 to someone to acquire more picks. He may even do this multiple times. Giving up a future pick isn't his style. I believe if we can somehow get multiple 2nd round picks that there maybe a chance that he would trade back up into the 1st for someone. Day 2 could be as exciting as day 1.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should avoid losing our first round pick next season... we might need a QB, but hopefully not, hopefully we're draft an OT in the NEXT draft after a good season this year.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should avoid losing our first round pick next season... we might need a QB, but hopefully not, hopefully we're draft an OT in the NEXT draft after a good season this year.

If we draft another wr this year, we will definately need a qb next year!!!

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we draft another wr this year, we will definately need a qb next year!!!

I don't know if I agree with that.... if we draft Watkins at two he'd help Bradford more than Robinson can. It'd be nice to have some stability and good coaching

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I agree with that.... if we draft Watkins at two he'd help Bradford more than Robinson can. It'd be nice to have some stability and good coaching

They said the same thing last year with Austin and how did that work out for Sam? He needs a run game to help build his confidense + an Offensive Coord. that has a clue. A running game IS exactly what Sam needs to build his confidence and the rest will fall into place.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said the same thing last year with Austin and how did that work out for Sam? He needs a run game to help build his confidence + an Offensive Coord. that has a clue. A running game IS exactly what Sam needs to build his confidence and the rest will fall into place.

Sam got injured before Austin was truly up to speed though.

Why can't the Rams draft Watkins AND improve the line?